Is there a Thinkware U3000 vs. BlackVue DR770 Box Cloud Features Comparison?

Yes, in the manual, it says that Energy Saving mode only records on impact, but Radar mode records on both motion and impact.

Might get rather a lot of motion recordings then, since there should be motion every time the radar activates? But at least it stores the motion in a different folder to the impacts.
Yes, I'm sure. But that's also the case with motion detection in general. I get many recordings of motion from cars passing by. But they aren't saved as events, so they get overridden eventually. A motion that matters would almost always also be associated with an impact - which includes someone trying the door or hitting the vehicle with a hand. And I get push notifications about those events. But the motion detection gives a view of the offender before the offense, which can be useful - for example, a person approaching with a bat.

for example, a person approaching with a bat.
The radar should wake the camera up in time to pre-buffer that, but likely not a vehicle impact.

What I found in my U3000 testing,
I was going to page you to the white courtesy phone to put an end to this debate, but I didn't want to take any time away from the "more important" dash cam you're currently testing. lol

That is not true, it is a good sensor, and considerably better than any sensor previously used in dashcams, but you can still quite easily make a poor quality camera using it!
Forgive me, I misspoke.
I should have said during DAYTIME, and good lighting conditions it will be OK.
During NIGHT TIME, and Low Light Conditions it will almost be useless. lol

What I read - and saw in a video - is that only the radar module is on when using radar parking mode. The rest of the camera is off until the radar detects something and then turns on the camera. There's no way the camera can be recording continuously and last that long on battery. Also, if the camera is on, it should be available via the cloud.
Well I certainly can't argue with what you're seeing first hand - I don't have the camera and only know what I read online (mostly here on DCT). Your experience seems to be at odds with what @DoubleDawg posted earlier in this thread as to what TW is claiming. (Wouldn't be the first time that manufacturer's marketing material differed from reality. :rolleyes: )

Well I certainly can't argue with what you're seeing first hand - I don't have the camera and only know what I read online (mostly here on DCT). Your experience seems to be at odds with what @DoubleDawg posted earlier in this thread as to what TW is claiming. (Wouldn't be the first time that manufacturer's marketing material differed from reality. :rolleyes: )
I don't have the camera either. The reviews I've seen haven't really addressed radar parking mode in terms of an actual test/demonstration or have only tested the detection distances. It does appear that Thinkware's marketing about the buffering of the radar parking mode may not be very accurate then; I figure they likely have copy pasted their description of standard motion detection. If the camera only records from the moment radar detects motion, I wouldn't even consider that buffered... let alone stating 10 seconds pre-motion.

Regardless of the misleading marketing, it is an intriguing mode to me, as I suspect the lower spectrum of the radar detection distance could really limit the amount of recordings compared to standard motion detection (since standard detection is considering the entire frame while radar only will consider with the distance). And if it's a less busy area, even the 5 meter detection distance should dramatically increase recording time compared to standard mode; worst case with a busy area at 5 meter detection would be that it just works like standard mode (albeit without the cloud capabilities).

It's too bad they didn't implement HDR with the Starvis 2 sensor though.

I bought the U3000 dashcam for the advertised buffered radar parking mode. Also, paid ~$300 for the external battery and $200 for professional installation. Guess what? The rear dashcam does not detect any motion in the radar parking mode. After many emails and phone calls, they sent me a replacement Dashcam, but that does not work either. I wish I had tested this before installing. I'm wondering if Lemon Law is applicable here? FYI, my car is new and has all OEM parts.

I bought the U3000 dashcam for the advertised buffered radar parking mode. Also, paid ~$300 for the external battery and $200 for professional installation. Guess what? The rear dashcam does not detect any motion in the radar parking mode. After many emails and phone calls, they sent me a replacement Dashcam, but that does not work either. I wish I had tested this before installing. I'm wondering if Lemon Law is applicable here? FYI, my car is new and has all OEM parts.
Not sure as you'd have to investigate the consumer protection laws where you live. I'd think you would be entitled to a refund considering they sent you a replacement and their advertised feature still does not work

I'm wondering if Lemon Law is applicable here?
Call the 1-800 number on the back of the credit card you used to buy it, and file a claim to dispute the charge.
You may want to type out your story chronologically so you can submit it easier.
Usually the financial institution will take 30-60 days investigating your claim.
If successful you get your money back.
And yes, please do test all dash cam & equipment BEFORE installing in a car to make sure everything works.
Keep in mind not only your $200 professional installation will not be refunded, but you will get to pay again to un-install all the gear.

Back