Is there a tool out in the web, where I could select the features and get the camera choices back?

jarekp

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I've been trying to find one that I'd like, but I'm so tired of having to read the specs of all the cameras out there,
only to finally learn one, or another, don't have all of the features I'm looking for.

I'd like to be able to select feature checkboxes, and see the available models for my specs, in return.
Just so I don't have to read countless specs and feel dizzy.

What I'm looking for is a cam to be used primarily as a dashboard cam, with 170 degree viewing angle, built-in GPS, support for 64GB MicroSD, a good picture stabilizer, so the driving video is nice and smooth, and a fairly high dynamic range.
I don't care much for low light, as I'm not going to use it in low light conditions.
Same goes for beyond 1080p. Not absolutely necessary. 720p is plenty.

I've gone over perhaps about a hundred different models, and never found one that would combine all features in one.

I believe many would gladly welcome such cam selector by features service.

jj

https://dashcamtalk.com/dash-cam-comparison-tool/ this lists a bunch of models you can compare

more research needed I think, 170 degree lenses are never that, in 720p mode will be much less, stabilisation isn't needed, solid mounting is, you don't seem to have particularly difficult needs but I'd guess you've been overwhelmed with marketing spin and haven't been able to narrow your choices as a result

With the image stabilizing thing I meant that I'd like to achieve that effect of a smooth "flight" video.
Most of those I can see sampled on the YT, are painfully affected by the suspension/road quality.
I agree the solid, properly fixed mount is the key, but then I'd like to achieve even more in this matter.
I recall having used my 8mm cam once, long ago, for a test, and having the cam (solid) mounted to the side
of the roof rack. Without the image stabilizer on, the recording was rather a noticeable discomfort.

you can't evaluate footage based on YouTube samples as they re-encode everything, particularly if whoever uploads it takes the image stabilisation option YouTube prompts as it always makes a huge mess of dashcam footage, correctly mounted camera will give superior results without image stabilisation being added and will have a sharper picture

Back