Is there a way to get GPS info back when it isn't recorded onto the video?

Bubbleawsome

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
A119
Hey I recently got 'caught' speeding. I was speeding but not by as much as the officer put on the report, and I was wondering if there was a way to pull my speed info from the camera if I didn't have it set to record in-frame.

you could only overlay it as a subtitle file, bit of work to do that, unless you're talking about a major speed difference that blind Freddy would notice because it was so far off then you're unlikely to get anywhere if you want to take it to court, if the speed difference was that obvious the video would demonstrate that without any speed info being there, if you're talking about 10mph or so difference they're unlikely to accept any evidence you produce based on the camera GPS as it's not a calibrated device

adding the info after the fact probably won't help you either as the evidence is then tampered with, even if you're not trying to cheat in any way it's still not the original video once you go adding anything in so they would considering that as being tampered with

not trying to rain on your parade, just looking at it logically

Fair enough. I guess I can go in with lowered expectations, but it still might make me feel more self-validated in all this :)

If the GPS data is embedded in the original file, but not overlaid on the video itself, that will be visible in the appropriate dashcam viewing software. I don't see a need to prepare a new files with a video overlay for court. The original file has the data. Just submit that and let the courts pick out the GPS information for themselves with suitable software.

If the GPS data is embedded in the original file, but not overlaid on the video itself, that will be visible in the appropriate dashcam viewing software. I don't see a need to prepare a new files with a video overlay for court. The original file has the data. Just submit that and let the courts pick out the GPS information for themselves with suitable software.

you could certainly demonstrate it using appropriate playback software as long as you can have your own computer there for playback

Back