GPS info on V3.3

mealto

Reaction score
Country
Canada
So just updated the A119 V2 to FW3.3. I have not set GPS = off and GPSinfo to none. If I set GPS = off, then GPSinfo display will come into play correct as there should be no info to display?

Has anyone with the proper software actually tested GPS = off means no GPS info embedded into the video file?

Also, what type of settings do most people recommend? like WDR = On etc...? I used Default Settings so any best practices for setting up the cam would be great!

So just updated the A119 V2 to FW3.3. I have not set GPS = off and GPSinfo to none. If I set GPS = off, then GPSinfo display will come into play correct as there should be no info to display?

Has anyone with the proper software actually tested GPS = off means no GPS info embedded into the video file?

Also, what type of settings do most people recommend? like WDR = On etc...? I used Default Settings so any best practices for setting up the cam would be great!
With the latest firmware 3.3 the gps info will no longer be written onto the video, when the GPS setting is set to off.

Last edited:
Wait a second. I do want the GPS to sync date and time so I should use GPS = on. If i disable GPSinfo to off, will GPS data still be embedded into the video file even though its not being displayed on the screen of the video?

If i disable GPSinfo to off, will GPS data still be embedded into the video file even though its not being displayed on the screen of the video?
Yes. The GPS Info Stamp setting does not affect the embedding of data or automatic Date/Time update. It only affects the presentation of GPS data displayed on the Video when the GPS setting is "ON". Haven't retested since the V3.1B post referenced above but don't know of any changes since then. Some who didn't want the GPS data embedded are now unhappy that A119 automatic Date/Time update doesn't work with GPS "OFF". For me the automatic Date/Time update feature is a "must have".

You would think there is an option to disable GPS data being embedded BUT still keep GPS syncing time and date?

You would think there is an option to disable GPS data being embedded BUT still keep GPS syncing time and date?
I think most would agree that @viofo should consider fixing this in the near future.

So I have to manually set GMT times when going from Daylight Savings to Standard times? I was hoping the GPS info would sync the correct date and times. It does but we still have to set the proper GMT setting? That defeats the purpose of enabling the GPS unit so it knows where I am right? Odd.

So I have to manually set GMT times when going from Daylight Savings to Standard times? I was hoping the GPS info would sync the correct date and times. It does but we still have to set the proper GMT setting? That defeats the purpose of enabling the GPS unit so it knows where I am right? Odd.

GPS only sends time info based on GMT 0, any offset from that needs to be configured in the device

I see that I do indeed have to set GMT. It's a pain for those of us with daylight savings / standard time to adjust! So 1990's lol.

I see that I do indeed have to set GMT. It's a pain for those of us with daylight savings / standard time to adjust! So 1990's lol.
You could always set it to GMT+0 and just explain it to everyone if you should need to prove when something happened. :eek:

yeah twice a year, don't know how I manage the strength to get that done each year :p

Nice back handed comment, ouch. :(

I guess we just have to live with adjusting the time zone just like the clock on the oven and VCR. That just doesn't seem right on a GPS unit lol.

Nice back handed comment, ouch. :(

I guess we just have to live with adjusting the time zone just like the clock on the oven and VCR. That just doesn't seem right on a GPS unit lol.

if it only sold in one market it would be possible to automate the function without too much fuss but when you sell the same model all over the world it ends up becoming a massive headache to manage the database required to do such a small process, it is a first world problem but honestly the effort doesn't justify the reward

if it only sold in one market it would be possible to automate the function without too much fuss but when you sell the same model all over the world it ends up becoming a massive headache to manage the database required to do such a small process, it is a first world problem but honestly the effort doesn't justify the reward
Even if just sold in the US, the government randomly adjusts when daylight shifting time (nothing is saved, just moved) changes. As far as making the change being hard, on one device, it is not hard, when you have 20 or 30, and you can't remember the few that switch automatically, or the few that still use the old change over date, it becomes a problem. It usually takes me a few weeks to get all my devices straightened out.
I would very much like noon to be when the sun is highest in the sky all year round.

You could always set it to GMT+0 and just explain it to everyone if you should need to prove when something happened. :eek:
this is probably the best suggestion here. it's what we do on tons of servers at work, since we're a global company - it helps with troubleshooting, esp when trying to figure out why a server in houston isn't giving talking properly to one in dubai, for example. and with the use of GMT, there's no hassle with things that happen DURING the change of DST (esp during "fall back") because GMT doesn't change.

but yeah, as has been stated, BECAUSE Daylight Stupid Time doesn't change on the same date every year (or even on the same day in different countries even in the same year!), it's not feasible for a simple camera to handle it. all major operating systems (android/linux, windows, ios/osx, unix, etc) all include the DST changes in their regular securty/bugfix updates, so that's do-able, but since most dashcams are intended to be set & forget devices, and don't have internet connections, keeping them up to date for something so trivial would quickly make them cost way more than they should and possibly be less reliable as a result.

Back