Is this a good dash cam?

iseeu1001

Reaction score
Country
United States
I been looking for a good dash cam. Currently using my yi 4k+ but hate it that it keeps turning of when its hot. I want a dash cam that isn't to easily noticeable which is why I like rear view dash the most since its just a clip on on your rear view and nobody will likely see it so no smash and grab. I know for the c1 pro there is a Black Box B40 A118 but I like it that it has the gps built in instead of a different add on. I tried Provision-ISR Hidden Dual Dash Cam and there cam is not good because built in battery sucks and it won't fully charge. Keeps turning on and off when using usb which is all the time.
Anker Dash Cam C1 Pro
Falcon zero F360
Junsun rear view mirror dash
ANSTAR Car DVR
DDPai mini2

Last edited:
I have been using Black Box brand since I began my dash cam trips. I, however, purchased the Black Box G1W, and then didn't like how visible the camera was having a white ring around the lens...I decided to go with the Black Box G1W-H (H standing for 'hidden', which does not feature a white ring around the lens).

Neither had GPS but I was happy with the quality, and I did consider the dash cam useful, and recommended it to friends and family. I would assume that these cameras are all made in china with the same effort as the next...so to say the camera is any worse than other cameras of that caliber and price range, might be a stretch. The brand worked for me though. Last month, I was talked into getting the Viofo A119S-V2, because it had so many more features (including GPS optional) for only $40 more than I was already paying. It's supposed to be a great camera and I see people here recommending the camera daily. It has not come in yet but I am anticipating a great dash cam. Perhaps you choose to go with the Black Box, use it for a while and when the time comes to upgrade, you may look into moving into the A119S-V2.

Hope you get your answers!

Last edited:
Okay got it and so far its a fail because camera keeps turning off. Just like my other rear view dash cam had failed this one has also and I only had it since today so big surprise.

Last edited:
how do you have it connected?
I doubt it has anything to do with how you connect it but I was connected via cigarette lighter and don't tell me my cigarette lighter is broken because I have used a usb adapter in there and I have also hooked my yi 4k and yi 4k+ camera through that and it was fine.. I also tried just via usb in my car usb port and still turns on and off rapidly.

USB ports in most cars will be underpowered for most dash cameras.

Also, the supplied 2-port adapter doesn’t fit well in some cars 12V cigarette port. Make sure it pushed all the way in and isn’t popping back out a little. Maybe try another adapter if you have one.

Both of the above would cause what your experiencing.

A119's are more touchy than most cams regards power. but are reliable and trouble-free when fed well :) It is imperative you use only the supplied adapter or a recommended hardwire kit with the A119 cams.. The only good alternate is a top-quality adapter such as Anker or Sosche with at least a 1.5A output or a powerbank withgood cabling such as from Monoprice. Anything less will only frustrate you :(

Phil

Does the a119 have heat sensitivity like the yi 4k+? When I put the yi 4k+ without battery in and only connected by cable it would say the unit is to hot and wait for it to cool down. Does that happen with the a119? One last thing, anyone know how to make a live hot cigarette running all the time? I know in my work truck 2017 tacoma that the side is on all the time and even I had a 2014 tacoma(work truck) and it had a live cigarette lighter that would provide power 24/7 but that truck never died either.

Yes you need ample good clean power, i am sort of freaked car makers have been putting in such weak ass charge posts, people have to drive cross country ( in my case ) or cross state to charge a phone.

In my car i dont even fast charge my phone ( it support high voltage charging ) i just feed it regular 5V from a outlet where it can suck up to 2.4 Amps, and things move along nicely, actually the car are the only place i charge my phone, and i dont drive much but im happy to say i phone even less so i get about 5 days before i reach a must charge level on my phone.

Wouldn't even use a car fast charger if one was given to me for free, but at home i do use the supplied fast charger if it get to that cuz i am pretty low on chargers at home due to also testing cameras in my window sill to free real estate in my car.

The B1W dashcam i have owned for 36 hours or so, and it have been recording for at least 24 hours already and i have only been driving 4 X 40 minutes since i got it.

No the 119 should be good with temperatures, its more suited for the job than the yi 4K+ that's a whole other ballgame.

Anyone know how t like add always on port because otherwise how does parking mode work if camera has no power.

Anyone know how t like add always on port because otherwise how does parking mode work if camera has no power.
You’ll need to get a hardwire kit and wire it into a fuse that’s always on.

You’ll need to get a hardwire kit and wire it into a fuse that’s always on.
Is there no way to convert a cig outlet in my car to always on? Like I said my work truck has it and it’s really convenient, work truck has never died.

Probably depends on the car. Some cars let you change whether it’s always powered or not, but that’s probably only with newer cars. I suppose you could rewire it, but you may as well install a hardwire kit at that point.

What is the difference between spytek and viofo? If they are the same product then I just wasted extra money for nothing. spytek is 89.99 while viofo is 109.95. Does that mean I just spent $20 extra on the same product?
spytek
Viofo

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Dash Cam Discussion 0
Giri43 Dash Cam Discussion 0
T Dash Cam Discussion 0
G Dash Cam Discussion 0
I Dash Cam Discussion 6
Back