Is this the best side view position?

Zackw419

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi All,

In terms of capturing left and right side activity - is this the best side view possible? I have it attached to my overhead light in the front of the car - which is no issue for me. Is one of the only places to mount on the ceiling without further modification.

What I'm looking to capure with the side cam is- if me and another car merge into the same lane at the same time- I want to be able to see the details of that.

Screenshot_271.png

Can you post a picture of the install on the overhead light please?

Can you post a picture of the install on the overhead light please?
Its just 2 scotch extreme fasteners. One on the cam and one on the light. That way I can switch sides if I want.

Well if i was close to that door / window, all you would see og me in the lower part of my chest and then my rather substantial stomach. ( 6 foot 3 tall )

If it is related to ride share, then it will be a good shot of who ever is in the passenger seat.

I prefer to have side cameras on the glass of the side of the car i am interested in, and then aimed out, though that too have a disadvantage of also not covering that good if people / things are really close to the car.

What about that little side window in the back? It looks like it's fixed and so you could leave a side cam there even if the rear passenger wants to put their window down. That's the area where I have it in my vehicle.

It lets you see the side regardless of if any passengers are in the way, plus it has a clearer view since none of the car is blocking the side view. The downside is that it can miss when people are right by either of the front side windows since it's right up against the rear windows.

I got / use to have my side cameras on fixed glass on the rear doors, cable routed down thru door and thru wire channel to the lower B pillar. ( easy to do as this system had strait USB C plugs )
Hence why in my demo video above the rear view and side cameras overlap work a little better than the front view and side cameras.
Mind you the FOV could have been a little larger on the cameras in that system i used.

TBH If someone made a down the side system like teslas have, well i think the dashcam addict in me just had to snag that up then, CUZ after having watched teslacam they have validity for sure.

Mind you. If you have kids in the meddeling / fingering age, then having any wire near them as they sit bored on the back seat might be a issue

In terms of capturing left and right side activity - is this the best side view possible?
I have a set up like kamkar, and Vortex in my Grand Marquis.
And now I'm experimenting in my Crown Vic.
Driver A Pillar .png
Passenger A Pillar .png
Here's what it looks like in action;

Remind me, i need to get some more ZZ top in my car, only have one album there ATM.

I think i am getting what i assume are pretty much the ideal Uber system for testing. ( 2 interior cameras one in both front and rear camera so a 4 channel system )
Also the "new" 1440p Starvis 2 sensor in the front camera, especially looking forward to seeing that perform.

I have a set up like kamkar, and Vortex in my Grand Marquis.
And now I'm experimenting in my Crown Vic.
View attachment 64865
View attachment 64866
Here's what it looks like in action;
Great angles. Can you post a picture of the cameras providing those side views please? Would like to see how you installed them. I currently have mine near the overhead lights.

you can sort of see that by the pictures, seem like they are mounted at the top of the A pillar, this i think will be okay if curtain airbag deploy.

In regard to cabin cameras / or a driver camera, my idea have always been mounting at the passenger side A pillar but down low, but the systems with cabin camera i have tested have been fine in this regard too, not least when i have been able to put the camera on the mirror stalk, CUZ that way it is almost dead center or at least offset to one side very little.

Great angles. Can you post a picture of the cameras providing those side views please? Would like to see how you installed them. I currently have mine near the overhead lights.

Thanks!

Back