Issues with dashcam freezing / unresponsive, rear camera dropping

PetToilet

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a new A129 and am having a couple issues. One is where the camera rather freezes and becomes unresponsive, both in parking mode and I believe in driving mode If the screen timeout is short, it'll freeze with a black screen, and if it's 30s or more, it's frozen on some video frame. Sort of like the symptoms in this thread, but I'm on the latest v1.8 using low bitrate parking mode (I believe buffered parking mode was removed due to these issues?). Also I don't believe my REC light was blinking.

For the driving issue, the first time an issue happened it looked like the rear camera stopped working or dropped as it no longer showed the overlay and the screen was on. When I checked the files, it looked like the rear camera was only missing for one or two sections, and instead maybe the camera reset and changed the live video feed to be front camera only instead of front with rear overlay (which I had manually set). Separately I believe I also had a frozen camera issue while driving (like the first paragraph while parking), but it's hard to say when it occurred as I was testing a shorter screen timeout and thus couldn't tell when exactly it froze by the image.

It may have gone away since I switched it back to h264 mode from h265 mode, so this might be related but I will have to do more testing. I am hardwired though, and while I do record at 60fps during the day, the issue happened several times at night. I'm not sure if HDR at night counts as 60fps or not with respect to power draw, as it captures 60fps but merges the low/high exposure to 30fps then does the h265 encoding.

I'm in the northeast of the US, so temperatures this weekend when it froze were 60F (for daytime freeze) and 40F (nightime freeze).

What brand and model memory card?

<video>
It happens both with my Transcend High Endurance 350V 128 GB card and some older SanDisk UHS I Class 10 64 GB.

While most of my recordings were long and had the rear camera, today my Viofo DashCam switched from freezing to doing exactly what is happening in this video: constantly restarting recording. I did recall reading if you change the firmware on the camera you may have issues, though it sounds like v1.8 in general has issues on the rear camera. Mine came with V1.8 on the rear, I'll have to contact Viofo for a beta firmware.

Would be best to contact support yeah, so at least they know how widespread this is. But if it's urgent you can find the older v1.7 for rear that seems to fix it, it's linked in the other thread here.

Back