ITB-100HD stamp "miles per hour" in videos (selling my work)

YowzaGrimace

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,

I bought my ITB-100HD based on the great reviews on Dashcamtalk!

I love the quality of the video, thanks guys.

I fixed the firmware so you can have miles per hour in your videos instead of kilometers per hour. It took about 10 hours and countless nights thinking in code to get it just right. I modified the original v2.1 firmware (which is the latest as of this writing) to make it so you can put "mi/h" (miles per hour) instead of "km/h" (kilometers per hour). This isn't a switch you can do anywhere in any of the software, this is actually me modifying the firmware to make it "work right".

Please see my listing for it here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0931420819
Consider this as the cheapest modification you can possibly do to make your unit work great!
I am happy to answer any questions you may have related to this. The listing above also has screenshots of what it will look like once you've applied the new firmware. (Please have v2.1 on your unit already so that way you know it will work. This is for ITB-100HD only.)

I have already tested this on a few ITB-100HDs I have here, so you shouldn't have any problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: ITB-100HD stamp "miles per hour" in videos (selling my w

Hi YowzaGrimace,

Great work on being able to update the firmware. Itronics should hire you to make updates since they don't seem to make them that frequently. Are you considering any future firmware improvements?

Dash Cam Man

Thank you for the review of my work. It would have helped if Itronics assisted me with this. (I did try to contact them, but they wanted to know who my authorized dealer was. :lol: Maybe I should have told them apple-ct on ebay.) I didn't have the source code to any of the firmware. This is all hand-crafted assembly modification.

Hi YowzaGrimace,

Funny that they asked about authorized dealer. Perhaps Itronics should make one of the eBay vendors a licensed dealer and everyone would be happy (assuming the prices are still good ;) )

Dash Cam Man

YowzaGrimace said:
I didn't have the source code to any of the firmware. This is all hand-crafted assembly modification.

[img=left]https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/data/MetaMirrorCache/st.forocoches.com_foro_images_smilies_bow.gif[/img]

FYI ITB-100HD runs internally Linux

xosevp said:
YowzaGrimace said:
I didn't have the source code to any of the firmware. This is all hand-crafted assembly modification.

[img=left]https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/data/MetaMirrorCache/st.forocoches.com_foro_images_smilies_bow.gif[/img]

FYI ITB-100HD runs internally Linux

If you want to know more about the internals, specifically it runs MontaVista Linux. (An embedded distribution which seems to be payware.) The chip used is a TI DM365 or DM368. It has an ARM926EJ-S core. An I2C bus is used for the accelerometer. The Sirf III GPS is just using one of the two UARTS. (White cable in this pic. Probably TX/RX/V+/GND, not in that order of course. http://dashcamtalk.com/itronics-itb-100 ... e_dash_cam ) I'm not sure if the other UART is exposed as some sort of console. (It looks like the netconsole.ko module is there but disabled. Also, no ethernet port on this device, just the controller on the SoC.) The NAND flash is 128 megabits (16 megabytes) and the firmware is around 4 megabytes in its .bin format. (12+ megabytes out of 16 megabytes are used once its uploaded.) They're using parts of the reference TI DVSDK IPNC package. I had to delve into all of this to understand how to modify it correctly and get it to display the speed. (The relevant file I modified was Itronic's own and not part of IPNC, so there was still no help in getting the DVSDK source, other than out of geeky interest.) Interesting to note, there is no checksum or version checking on the firmware update. The one I have modified is still v2.0. As long as it sees a firmware file on the SD card, it will flash it and then delete it from the SD card. (This is also why I said to make sure v2.0 already works on your ITB-100HD.)

Hi YowzaGrimace,

Thanks for all the info. The DM368 processor seems to be popular in many of these Korean cameras (Blackvue, FineVu). Glad that you were able to narrow it down to the TI DM365 or DM368.

Dash Cam Man

Yowzagrace: Firmware miles per hour fix works great! It was well worth the $8 for your time!

I was cow736 on eBay that purchased!

Thanks again!

I also bought the $8 MPH fix and it works great. It is so much easier to view the video and read Mh instead of Kilometers per hour and try to convert.
Thanks for a great program fix and the quick response.

I highly recommend this fix.

Just go to Ebay and search for " ITB-100HD "miles per hour" fix (download only) "

Thank you for the kind words and success stories. It makes it worth it.

The world would be a better place if everybody used the metric system.

ExMet said:
The world would be a better place if everybody used the metric system.

Yes, i couldn't agree more.
Funny that english world is most behind in measurements, pint, stone, gallon, fortnight...

YowzaGrimace: Please keep us posted if you do a miles per hour fix for the current 2.1 firmware. :)

dv8ed said:
YowzaGrimace: Please keep us posted if you do a miles per hour fix for the current 2.1 firmware. :)
v2.1 patched is ready. (I've just updated my first comment to reflect this.)
Anyone who has already purchased and who wishes to upgrade, please contact me for special pricing.

Shouldn't it display mp/h instead of mi/h?

Anyways I flashed firmware v2.1 with miles per hour fix and it displays correctly. Thank you!

I see what he's trying to do.

kilometers per hour -> km/h
miles per hour -> mi/h

I was thinking mp/h would be correct too or no?

mp/h is not correct.

If you offered the code that showed it as simply "mph" (which is the correct abbreviation), I would gladly buy the code for $8.00... and would ensure a nice review on the genesisowners.com site ;)

Hey, YowzaGrimace, if you already have some experience with the firmware can you try to find the missing options from the setup file?
And I hope anybody can jump into this with some tests.

1. Firmware version
01 = 1.X
02 = 2.X

2. Firmware subversion
00 = x > 0
01 = x > 1
02 = x > 2

3. FPS
00 = 30fps/24fps
01 = 15fps

4. Time Zone
00 = -12
01 =
02 =
5A = +13

00 =
01 =
02 =
03 =

6. Shock sensitivity while driving
00 = Off > ... > 28 1E 1E (space allocation modified)
01 = Insensitive
02 = Normal
03 = Sensitive

7. Parking Mode
00 = Off > 32 32 00 (space allocation modified)
01 = Shock Sensing > 28 1E 1E (space allocation modified)
02 = Shock & Motion Sensing > 28 1E 1E (space allocation modified)

8. Recording Quality
00 = 1080p
01 = 720p
02 = 720p

00 =
01 =
02 =
03 =

10. Brightness Adjustment
00 = Standard
01 = Bright

00 =
01 =
02 =
03 =

12. Motion Sensitivity Setting
00 = Insensitive
01 = Almost Insensitive
02 = Less Sensitive
03 = Sensitive

13. Shock Sensing Alarm
00 = On
01 = Off

14. File Deletion Method
00 = Deletion by File Type > 32 32 00 (space allocation modified)
01 = Deletion by Time Order > 32 32 00 (space allocation modified)

15. Normal
0A = 10%
14 = 20%
1E = 30%
28 = 40%
32 = 50%
3C = 60%
46 = 70%
50 = 80%
5A = 90%

16. Event
00 = 0%
14 = 20%
1E = 30%
28 = 40%
32 = 50%
3C = 60%
46 = 70%
50 = 80%
5A = 90%

17. Parking
14 = 20%
1E = 30%
28 = 40%
32 = 50%
3C = 60%
46 = 70%
50 = 80%
5A = 90%

18. Display Speed
00 = On
01 = Off

So the unknown parameters are 5, 9, 11.

Also I don't know how the PC Player read from the BIN file we have the ITB-100HD setup file.

I used XVI32 to open and edit the bin file.

enjoy,
Mtz

Back