2nd Camera Question(s)

Pariah Zero

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Panorama G, Street Guardian SG9665GPS
My daily commute can get hairy at times, and I was seriously considering getting a dash cam before last week, when I became a victim of a hit and run rear-end collision at over 50 MPH (my traveling speed), with enough force to pop dashboard panels free of in my car. (I'm not sure if the car is a total loss yet... insurance grinds slowly...)

I've decided a dash cam is definitely something I want.

Thanks to this forum, I decided to go with two discrete units, instead of a single 2ch unit. It became apparent that the price/performance just doesn't work out for a 2ch unit.

I do have one question, however: I'm getting a Panorama G for the front; I can see the value in having GPS data. However I don't see much point in getting two units with GPS.

What advantages are there in getting two of the same camera?

Are there any specific disadvantages in getting two different makes & models?

For example, I was thinking of getting a less expensive, more discreet camera for the rear.

There are no advantages to having the same camera front and back. The Panorama G is a great front camera yet may be too large for a rear window install. One reason alone may be that while you can hide a front cam from thieves behind the rearview mirror, there is no such place in the back window of most cars. Here's an example https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/guardtrak-gt2s-model-details-and-info.2844/page-53#post-85182

There are also no disadvantages to getting two different cameras. Advantages would be more options and lens choices. A good choice for a rear camera would be the Mobius B lens which is simple, discreet and reliable. The general consensus is that a wide lens is better for the back camera.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the street guardian able to handle a near vertical window very well, pier28?

The 3rd picture on your product page has the lens angled in the right direction, but since it's straight-on, it's hard to judge the angle the camera would be at compared to the glass.

Is the street guardian able to handle a near vertical window very well, pier28?

The 3rd picture on your product page has the lens angled in the right direction, but since it's straight-on, it's hard to judge the angle the camera would be at compared to the glass.

It sure is, perfect for trucks, or vertical windows in the back. I have one in the back of my Smart Car right now. (nearly vertical window)

You're a braver man than I, driving a smart car.

Yeah, I know, it's got the whole 'tridon safety cell', airbags, etc... but my local traffic is dominated by the largest SUV's and trucks available - often modded to be even bigger. The law of momentum still applies...

The safety cell would stay in shape while I turn into goo...

I don't like being goo...

yeah i own one of those large SUVS ;). here in SoCal I feel a lot safer on the 101.. ;)

I've the Panorama G and I also have the G90 with a70 chipset (currently on life support as I fouled up an firmware update on it) and I was wondering which cam i would place in front and which one in back.

I was going to put the G90 in front due to its many resolutions and features, but realized it cant use an external GPS (have to buy a different version of the same camera--whole 'nother story) so now it will go in back whilst I put the panorama G up front.

IF you can wait a bit, there is an X2 model coming out from powerucc (right @Pier28 ?) with to cameras. May be worth a wait to check it out. It's still in the works but if you are looking for two cams....

Worse case for me, if I can't get my G90 back from this semi brick state, I will perhaps get another Panorama G, mainly because of the rating on this forum and its solid overall build quality. For me, I have a large SUV so putting a cam in the back will not bother my field of view at all.

I never imagined I'd move out of the city and start a DashCam company when I bought my Smart.
I love it, full convertible, and kick'n bass stereo system drives well actually.
I'll upgrade to a bigger vehicle once we hit a few milestones with the help of great customers. ;-)

So again, Vertical Windows are no problem
My new Street Guardian SG9655GM fits perfect in the back of my Smart Car Brabus.
Glass Hugging design fits the lens exactly between the defogger wires.
KRK5BFBl.jpg

5tVH58ll.jpg

I have another one up on the front too. (dual action!)

[QUOTE="Pariah Zero, post: 86831, member: 9124"The 3rd picture on your product page has the lens angled in the right direction, but since it's straight-on, it's hard to judge the angle the camera would be at compared to the glass.[/QUOTE]

I updated the image thanks. (was sideways by mistake) Amazon, eBay updated, main site shortly.
MMhRoCyl.png

[QUOTE="Pariah Zero, post: 86831, member: 9124"The 3rd picture on your product page has the lens angled in the right direction, but since it's straight-on, it's hard to judge the angle the camera would be at compared to the glass.

I updated the image thanks. (was sideways by mistake) Amazon, eBay updated, main site shortly.
MMhRoCyl.png
[/QUOTE]
Any issue with heat in the summer if it is directly in the window like that?

The street guardian isn't designed to be left in the car on a hot day. Lipo batteries can't take the heat.

It's fine if the engine is running and the air conditioning is on and functional.

Back