itronics itb 100 faulty

cris25

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone come across the following fault:
Won't record, no sounds (beeps etc), lights solid red, no response with sd card in or out of cam.
I have just recived 2 units one works fine the other has the above fault. I don't want the hassle of sending back due to shipping. I have tried sd from working unit no change, checked sd from faulty unit and works fine in the other. Also formatted sd, tried installing 2.1 software (from 2) no change.

Hi cris25,

I haven't seen this problem but it seems like it is dead on arrival. I highly doubt you will be able to fix it so I think you will need to send for replacement.

My 2 day old ITB-100HD had been working perfectly but is now just like cris25's unit...completely unresponsive.
Silly me accidentally plugged the power lead into the AV out socket and that was the end of my ITB-100HD. Tried everything to get it going again but nothing works.
If only Itronics had dummy proofed the unit by making the 2 sockets different sizes.

accidentally plugged the power lead into the AV out socket and that was the end of my ITB-100HD.
Thanks for the warning. I will block my AV out socket.

Hi Horse,

That sucks. I will put a warning on the main ITB-100HD page since I'm sure it could happen to others as well.

Horse said:
My 2 day old ITB-100HD had been working perfectly but is now just like cris25's unit...completely unresponsive.
Silly me accidentally plugged the power lead into the AV out socket and that was the end of my ITB-100HD. Tried everything to get it going again but nothing works.
If only Itronics had dummy proofed the unit by making the 2 sockets different sizes.

Unfortunately, it seems I've probably done the same thing. To bad I didn't find this forum until now, otherwise I've would have taped over the hole...
First I had another type of error, while driving the camera started to beep repeatedly and would not stop it seemed. So then I ripped the power cable out (couldn't stop due to the type of road I was on) and tried to put it back in. No response after that. Since it fitted so nicely I didn't realize that I'd accidentally connected it wrong. Well, it worked fine the three days I had it (sigh). Guess I'll be looking for a new camera then...

Unfortunately this is a major design and concept flaw from itronics and I think they didn't learned this also with their new SP product.
1. They should have a power On/Off button
2. They should use different connectors for AV and Power, the Power to be always larger!
3. If not different diameters they should use some rubber stopper inside the unused hole (usually the AV which must be blocked by default shipping).

But they decided to make the stupid Mute button instead of Power. I am curious who is using the Mute button.

Regarding your burned cameras try to find some electronic repair center, for example for phones, and maybe they will find the burned component and replace it.

Also you must to use the contact page and ask itronics how to solve your problem, what component to be replaced. Try to speak short and simple because their english is poor. Try more mails, not spam, because they don't answer to all people, maybe try to tell them that you want to buy 1000pcs and you know about this problem and you must to know how it can be solved aftersales.

enjoy,
Mtz

I now have a new unit but this one has another fault. It worked fine for one day until I tried to upgrade the firmware from v2.0 to v2.1. I followed the procedure in the manual as I did with the other unit I purchased (which is still working fine) but now the camera turns on (with start-up sound) after approx 10secs 3 beeps then restarts (with shut-down sound). It did this continuously. I connected the sd to my computer and realised it had formatted the memory card with a new setup file but when trying to make changes in the blackbox software its states 'failed to make changes'. I formatted the card (using xp) and copied the setup folder from the other cams sd card. When I inserted this into the camera and switched on I heard 2 beep followed by the same experience mentioned above. I have also tried adding the .bin file to sd and upgrading again but same results. The manuals states 2 beeps = error in time management - contact service provider. Im hoping for a software expert to save the day!
By the way I originally purchased 2 units from bestforyouservice and he exchanged the last unit after receiving my faulty one. Also I can 100% confirm that the previous fault wasn't caused by me inserting the power jack in to the a\v socket (although I would be happy to admit it if I had). I can be sure of this because the camera was working for a few days before the fault (forgot to mention in my previous post) and was fixed in place. Looking back the only thing I may have done is to take the sd card out before the unit had fully powered down.

Would it be worth trying to roll-back to v2.0 and if so has anyone got a copy?

cris25 said:
Looking back the only thing I may have done is to take the sd card out before the unit had fully powered down.
I did this by accident and suffered no ill effects.

I have to say: I accidently plugged the power in the AV hole several times without any problems.
Perhaps it just didn't connect properly to destroy my cam.

anyone has a changelog for the firmware version 2.1?
and the new ITB player?

Firmware 2.1 have some changelog like:
1.) some improvements regarding the image exposure and backlighting

2.) different viewing colors for parking mode depending on events. Shock are marked with green and Motion with purple. You must use the latest PC HD Player to view these new colors.

3.) front security LED behavior change: when event detected the LED will blink rapidly.

4.) one more value for motion sensitivity.

5.) change the display units: Km-> km/h

6.) other improvements for system stability

The new PC player will reflect some of the new firmware options like 2.) and 4.)

enjoy,
Mtz

Thanks Mtz for the firmware sorry it has taken some time to reply, I work long hours. I realised after I requested v2.0 that it was on the site, I knew 2.1 was but didn't look any further.

Regarding an update on my fault the firmware worked but only briefly and I have realised that either version will cure the fault but again only temporarily.
The update has provided me with more information about the fault but it is hard to be accurate on the symptoms at this stage.
My camera is currently in a state where it keeps rebooting. It powers up with start up tone the power light blinks once then 4 beeps and power down tone (I think the 3 beeps I mentioned before was an error on my part). This cycle continues.
I understand the 4 beeps indicate sd card fault but I believe the camera corrupt the sd card and not the other way round because I have tried the sd card of working unit and sd from faulty in the working camera and have 2 new samsung 32g sd cards (class 10).
The first time the fault occurs after the update the video files are deleted and if I view the sd in windows I just see the setup folder and bin files which the blackbox software cant read.
I had a few thoughts I would like to follow up:
Is it a time error in the setup?
The fault happens around the time the power light should stabilise for gps. So maybe gps module could be faulty.
Flash chip fault - My circuit board version is 1.6 (dark green in colour) which is the same as the other faulty unit I had my working unit is 1.8 and has a few component changes.
Super capacitor (Meant to act like a battery for saving files to sd after power down) - less likely because it would give a continuous fault.
I have some electronic knowledge (from a while ago) but not much knowledge of firmware. If anyone knows how to extract Linux information that would be good. I have noticed from a Australian website that there is a log file for the blackvue cams and an error code has been noticed by some users at the gps stage.

Once again I have written a book (I can hear the curses) but from what I have read we're on our own, Itronics dont want to know and I think its still early days for most of us so hopefully the more information on faults the better.

For those who faced the unfortunate events of accidentally plugging the power into the AV port, was it an immediate failure? I was working in a low light condition and plugged the power into the AV port by accident, maybe 1/4th of the way and realized it. I quickly took it out and proceeded to plug it back into the right port. Camera works good at the moment. Conversely, does your camera slowly start to fail?

Horse said:

That wouldn't work. They just keep making better dummies :lol:

Actually I had mine plugged in that way all day and when I found out and connected it right everything was fine. Considering the way the plugs are constructed I can't see that being a cause for failure. I've got connectors and jacks and plugging them in that way there is no contact with positive voltage. The + volt center conductor is isolated.

Al Drake said:
Horse said:

Actually I had mine plugged in that way all day and when I found out and connected it right everything was fine. Considering the way the plugs are constructed I can't see that being a cause for failure. I've got connectors and jacks and plugging them in that way there is no contact with positive voltage. The + volt center conductor is isolated.

I'm not very knowledgeable with electrical stuff, so bare with me :D . For the power connection plug, I see a black plastic ring on the tip followed by metal. The outside metal part doesn't conduct the power? From what I understand from your post, it's only the inside of the connector that carries the + volt?

Synaptixx said:
Al Drake said:
Horse said:

I'm not very knowledgeable with electrical stuff, so bare with me :D . For the power connection plug, I see a black plastic ring on the tip followed by metal. The outside metal part doesn't conduct the power? From what I understand from your post, it's only the inside of the connector that carries the + volt?

Yes, the power plug is center conductor + voltage. The outside is negative or ground. If you have a volt meter then you would insert the red lead into this center hole and the black lead hold to outside to get indication of current flow. The inside of the audio out jack may hold this plug in place but nothing would touch the live section of that plug. It's pretty hard to interchange most plugs and I can't remember ever causing any damage from any that do connect. trust me, I have made most mistakes that can be made take into consideration the 5 decades I have tinker with electrical gadgets including sticking my finger places I will never forget or admit to.

I think I had similiar problem too. After an update of the firmware, now one of my itb 100hd has intermittent 2 beeps and the beeps are very soft so when I drive, i would have to pay attention to hear the beeping sound. Anyone knows what is the error?

I think I had similiar problem too. After an update of the firmware, now one of my itb 100hd has intermittent 2 beeps and the beeps are very soft so when I drive, i would have to pay attention to hear the beeping sound. Anyone knows what is the error?

Maybe you should try downgrading back to firmware version 2.1 and see if the problem can be resolve?
The firmware download link which can also be found on the product review page in this forum is below.
The ITB100HD can download from firmware ver 2.2 to 2.1 without any issue.

firmware version v2.1

Last edited:
Back