Just got my SG installed.. any adjustment tips? Having exposure problems..

Beer

Reaction score
Country
United States
I had my cam professionally installed, and they did a good job.. but the location that it's mounted it is frustratingly in between two not-so-ideal adjustment clicks on the lens.

Because my dash takes up 50% of the view, the sky gets blown out and over exposed.

sScgB7k.jpg

But if I move it up one click, it's too far and everything gets distorted from the wide angle

5srMGRL.jpg

This is really kind of frustrating. Is there any way I can adjust this ever so slightly without remounting the entire thing.. or maybe adjust the exposure point somehow?

Easy fix, install the new firmware we just released for public beta testing that has enhanced AE (Auto Exposure) tables. :)

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/sg9665gc-firmware-updates-and-pre-release-access.16310/

http://www.mediafire.com/download/27113f7333arr5u/SG9665GC_V2_beta_16.zip

/****************************************************************************************************

Street Guardian SG9665GC V2 (SGGCV2.bin)
For cameras serial numbers from SGGC-Bxxxxxxxx
Settings menu display version number SG20xxxxxx.V2

/****************************************************************************************************
date:2016-06-01
ver:SG20160601.V2 (beta 16)

1. Bugfix GPS time updating problem when the signal is weak.
2. Change 'Card Error' message to 'Format' Card when memory card is non-FAT32 format.

date:2016-05-26
ver:SG20160526.V2 (beta 15)

1. OSD km/h mp/h change to KM/H MP/H
2. Add a space between the speed display and KM/H, MP/H
3. GPS with on signal OSD gps: unlocated changed to --- --- when no signal
4. Bugfix the text overlaps when all OSD options "on"
5. Car no.position changed to the left corner of LCD display
6. Bugfix GPS time updating problem during startup

date:2016-05-24
ver:SG20160524.V2 (beta 14)
1. Rename AUTO POWER OFF menu to AUTO RESTART
2. Car No.Function add to support 11 characters.
3. Bugfix GPS signal bars wrong color shown
4. Bugfix GPS clock reset problem ****note there is still a GPS bug in this version****

date:2016-05-18
ver:SG20160518.V2 (beta 13)

1. Add OSD speed menu list--have MP/H & KP/H & off three options, off as the default setting.
with real function

date:2016-05-17
ver:SG20160517.V2 (beta 12)

1. Bugfix Duplicate frame error
2. Add menu selectable options for AE, Low, Center, Average (default Average)
3. Add OSD speed menu list have MP/H & KP/H & Off (default Off). **** NOTE: menu added but not functional in this version****
4. Change Motion detect ICON to "M"

date:2016-05-14
ver:SG20160514.V2 (beta 11)

1. Bugfix Recalibrate motion detect range.
2. Bugfix Screen to not wake up when G-sensor triggered.
3. Bugfix Remove PC mode/webcam mode.
4. Add loop recording icon to LCD to show current setting, 1 minute, 3 minutes, 5 minutes.
5. Add auto format menu prompt when booting with exFAT memory card, choose yes to format, choose cancel to quit.
6. Add single press for file save event including when screen is off.
7. Change file structure to DCIM standard.
8. Change GPS to add analysis and filtration process, only approve time sync and location when received satellite signals from more than 4 satellites.

Yes! Thanks guys. I will definitely give this a shot.

Stupid question, do I push the camera forward or backwards to detach it from the mount? I don't want to push it too hard in the wrong direction

Yes! Thanks guys. I will definitely give this a shot.

Stupid question, do I push the camera forward or backwards to detach it from the mount? I don't want to push it too hard in the wrong direction

Slide Up towards the roof, then pull off/away.

Okay thanks. I have one last question so I don't have to bother making another thread for it.

The GPS unit is installed, and I have GPS set to On in the menus.. but there is no GPS info displayed on my videos and my time isn't getting auto-set as the manual states it should. I looked around in the settings for a good 10 minutes this afternoon but I couldn't find any other settings to do this. What am I missing? The little green wifi symbol is lit up, which I understand to be the gps icon.

Okay thanks. I have one last question so I don't have to bother making another thread for it.

The GPS unit is installed, and I have GPS set to On in the menus.. but there is no GPS info displayed on my videos and my time isn't getting auto-set as the manual states it should. I looked around in the settings for a good 10 minutes this afternoon but I couldn't find any other settings to do this. What am I missing? The little green wifi symbol is lit up.

If you want the GPS (Speed) to show up embedded into the video as MPH/KPH install the new firmware. We just added that optional menu feature.

For GPS data/map playback on your Mac or Windows computer, use the software from https://streetguardian.info/support (see setup guides too)

Also make sure you look at the new user manual we just published a few days ago. (also on the support site above)
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...s-for-further-improvements-are-welcome.19513/

Yeah, I knew about the software .. but I've seen actual gps coordinates embedded in peoples' videos and that's what I was searching for in the menus. Because the time wasn't getting auto-set (it was a full day off), and because the GPS coords weren't showing up in my videos.. I thought maybe it wasn't working right

Yeah, I knew about the software .. but I've seen actual gps coordinates embedded in peoples' videos and that's what I was searching for in the menus. Because the time wasn't getting auto-set (it was a full day off), and because the GPS coords weren't showing up in my videos.. I thought maybe it wasn't working right

GPS coordinates are embedded into the video for Zoran based products (SGZC12SG), but I'm not aware of the Novatek based systems (SG9665GC) having that option in the SDK.
Right now the GPS data is embedded into the file, invisible until you playback at the computer. (and use the software)
If your date is a day off, you don't have the right time zone set. The default is +10 for Sydney Australia. -8 is West Coast, -5 is East Coast.

update to new firmware and see how the gps goes if time not being set now.

I think its messy to have the GPS cordinates in the footage too, the video itself should be fine in dokumenting where you are driving.
I sure dont hope SG incorperate that unless it will be a ON/OFF feature in future products.

I think its messy to have the GPS cordinates in the footage

me too

I sure dont hope SG incorperate that unless it will be a ON/OFF feature in future products.

it's not on the to do list, even if it were it wouldn't happen unless there was a user menu option to turn it off

Yeah I didn't really care about having the GPS coodrds in the footage, it isn't terribly useful. I was trying to test to see if GPS was even working. I must have been watching videos from other SG models when I saw the embedded GPS.

Anyway.. I guess I don't have to worry about how to detach the camera now. It fell off today :(

I prepped the plastic clip with alcohol and stuck it back up there, and will give it the recommended 72 hours to bond. The place I had it installed just put it all together in one go. No idea if it will hold since it's already been stuck once but it's worth a shot versus finding a new mounting solution I guess.

IqXZ3TV.jpg

Last edited:
That's odd, no reports of it falling off like that. Good thing we include spare pads so try again?

Ya. Not sure if you caught my edit. I just re-stuck it for now to the existing pad after an alcohol prep. I'm sure it had a lot to do with the fact that the clip was given no bonding time when I had it installed, plus 95 degree heat. If my lazy attempt to fix it doesn't hold, I'll start from scratch with a new pad.

That's odd, no reports of it falling off like that. Good thing we include spare pads so try again?

Although I haven't experienced it with SG (because I haven't tried), I've found that even the slightest texturing will spoil the adhesion of the 3M VHB tape commonly used on adhesive-backed camera mounts.

I had mine fall off, but thats the old V1 model and the tall mount that was changed in design i belive.

Got some new stickypads from the company and its remained in place, actually it allso was before that, cuz like you i just pressed it back on the windscreen, and that worked for several months before i got the new pads and then relocated the mount 1/4 ince lower on my windscreen.

I had the same issues with my old Lukas in my little sisters car, suddenly for some reason the pads wont grip that good on the camera, so i ended up just adding a little cyano glue between the camera and the glue pad on the windscreen.

I had mine fall off, but thats the old V1 model and the tall mount that was changed in design i belive.

Got some new stickypads from the company and its remained in place, actually it allso was before that, cuz like you i just pressed it back on the windscreen, and that worked for several months before i got the new pads and then relocated the mount 1/4 ince lower on my windscreen.

I had the same issues with my old Lukas in my little sisters car, suddenly for some reason the pads wont grip that good on the camera, so i ended up just adding a little cyano glue between the camera and the glue pad on the windscreen.

Ah yes, mid 2015 the thick mount had a waffle pattern that kept the adhesive from sticking properly. (less surface) The waffle pattern has since been filled in flat and we use an adhesion promoter mount side now as well for an even better bond.

Back