Just ordered a Viofo A119 v3

jokiin,
I told you I have more information. Not sure if I should tell here, but because you still persevere in contradict me, I will reveal them...

The developement of the events was:

In december 2020, right after testing a bit my just arrived A119V3, I reported it as defective camera to Viofo.ro (the reseller). This happened in the same time with the circus made on this thread by the betatester of Viofo.ro (you know him well), who wanted to convince me that the camera is perfectly functional, though I offered contrary proofs. I sent the camera back for replacement, but the reseller said that ALL cameras from his new stock are THE SAME. In the mean time, he asked to the betatester to come urgently in Eforie (Viofo's Ro "headquarters"), probably to confirm/infirm what I said. Of course, they tested a functional camera... I'm sure, from another older batch.

Reseller recomended me to wait for the next year batch. I waited the new batch (2021), it arrived ~ 12.01.2021. I placed my order, but reseller didn't process it. I contacted him by email and he told me that the new batch could have same audio issues and he recomended me to accept an A129Plus instead A119V3. After watching and analyzing some/more videos, I accepted A129Plus. Indeed, it's newer, it has some extra features and, more important to me, it has better optics: it's sharper than A119V3's.

That's my odyssey with Viofo's DVRs. And the fact that there are other people from distant contries who have issues, that means the issue is overspread. Some reported it, some don't care about it, some don't even know about it... they will face it at the first video playback.

On the other hand, let's accept that some cameras were fixed by FW update (probably a CUSTOM v. 2.1, special for "upgraded" batches)... "Upgraded", ie probably cheaper and bad (unappropriate) microphones. But that replacement using the same chipset/motherboard (w/o no changes in the electronic design) led to the disastrous functionality of the audio chain. Increasing the gain from firmware means to push to extreme the electronics. What that means? Lower reliability perhaps? It's a rhetorical question, don't bother answering. ;)

I think Viofo should THANK me because I discovered the big issue and reported it, not to blame me through some people. I assure you that they know about the issue since december... soon after my report.

Kremmen, chill out... I know what a defective device is.
My new A129Plus has the same volume as your V3 (I heard it in your uploaded file). I also tested my A129Plus indoor and in the car. The sound is the same. Don't teach one's grandmother to suck eggs (I hope the expression is correct, we have in romanian: "you sell cucumber to the gardener"). ;) :D

PS: third case of defective sound: https://www.viofo.com/community/index.php?threads/a119-v3-recording-volume-issue.27101/

PPS: for me, anyway, the case is closed (I have a functional camera now, as it should be), but I'm disapponinted because of many facts, one of them being the messages in this thread, by SOME people who don't have even half of the experience I have in the field of audio, photo and video, nor my technical training, I can smell it on them...
I know, these are hard times for manufacturers, but also for customers, don't forget. The trust is hard to gain but very easy to lose. ;)

Last edited:
As per the earlier posts, I set mine off indoors and I too noticed the volume to be very low. When in the car it is fine.

If I remember correctly the unit in this instance never was tested in a car ?

Therefore the issue may not exist.

You (and those who approve you) should rewrite the laws of physics! :LOL::LOL::LOL: I already said that I would have been very happy with a low volume. The volume on my V3 wasn't low, but almost inexistent and inconsistent. Just listen again the recordings I attached to this thread.
I tested my A129Plus indoor, by speaking normally, not loudly as in V3 and from 1m distance, not directly in the mic, as I did to V3. The sound in A129+ is as it should be, constant and consistent. In V3 it was way, way weaker and, more important, inconsistent. That camera (and I'm sure more other) was clearly D E F E C T I V E.

Judge by yourself:

I asked you many times to attach your so-called tests. Or at least the test indoor... and to compare it with mine, at the beginning of this thread. You say words, I give proofs...

And this is a little fragment with the sound from in my car. Music is at low volume (volume 10 out of 45). The volume of my voice is the same as indoor. Physics won again! Lol.

Last edited:
Bought VIOFO A119 V3 in the begining of this year from their Aliexpress store and before first usage put the latest firmware V2.1 20201113 from their web site. The sound was terrible, muffled and uneven with some strange auto gain. Put a ticket on their site and support guy send me an older firmware V2.1 20200901 wich improved the sound qualiy dramatically. I am using it for a few days already, GREAT dashcam! The sound is not so loud like my old MINI 0805 but is quite good after firmware fix.

The sound was terrible, muffled and uneven with some strange auto gain.

You had luck, good for you. My returned V3 became spare parts, as local reseller told me.
But I want to ask you to do me a favor. If you still have a video recorded with the camera when the sound wasn't good, please upload it on a host server and give me the link. I'm just curious how it sounds. I asked this to another guys who had sound issues and fixed them, but no one did it. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
You can see the videos here:
- TEST VIOFO
- TEST MINI

The sound quality for VIOFO is bad.
The recorded VIOFO sound has a problem. It is uneven and muffled and sometimes the volume goes up or down by itself. It is very noticeable when the car is waiting for the green light on video.
The reference sound of the MINI dashcam is loud and clear all the time.
The picture of VIOFO is perfect, no problems at all.
Please IGNORE the camera shake, it is because of the test mount I am using, which is not stable. You can see the test setup on the picture.

Attachments

• Test setup VIOFO and MINI.jpg
    Test setup VIOFO and MINI.jpg
    350.9 KB · Views: 11
Aaa, but you have good volume there. Indeed, there are some inconsitencies in the sound, but it's louder than I had.
Look how it looks in a sound analyzer. Mine was like a flat Electrocardiogram, dead.

Thank you very much!

Attachments

• comp.jpg
    comp.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 12
  • sound.jpg
    sound.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 12
And how it looks an A129 Plus sample (my new camera that I like as days go by), tested in absolutely same conditions as A119V3.

Attachments

• a129+.jpg
    a129+.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 15
Bought VIOFO A119 V3 in the begining of this year from their Aliexpress store and before first usage put the latest firmware V2.1 20201113 from their web site. The sound was terrible, muffled and uneven with some strange auto gain. Put a ticket on their site and support guy send me an older firmware V2.1 20200901 which improved the sound qualiy dramatically. I am using it for a few days already, GREAT dashcam! The sound is not so loud like my old MINI 0805 but is quite good after firmware fix.

This is a very positive result with this V2.1 in the older version 20200901.

Would you please share this version so that other users can also use it. Thank you!

My hint is the free Google Drive. I can put this version on my Google Drive for all interested users.

@Zhivko: Thanks for the firmware. My A119 V3 is ordered and on its way to me. In about three weeks I will install my dash cam and update it with your special firmware.

Back