Just when you thought it was safe to return to the beach.

BBorell

Reaction score
Country
United States
Heading into Destin when a snowbird showed us why we should never complain about the way we drive down here ever again.
Truck from Forida vs SUV from Manitoba , BC

It's not his fault, he is having 'timmies' withdrawal!

Those Canadians are all over Cali and Arizona right now too. No worse than the the indigenous population.

See if you can PM a mod to move your post to the "Recorded by You" section of the forum BB.

In the UK, we don't call a truck a truck unless it has about 16 wheels, lol... I was looking for a big wagon! :)

Well, I wasn't too far off but I don't think it's all about the cargo part being separated physically from the cab or covered. I've always heard you Brits call "lorry" to covered vehicles that are usually under 3.5 tons, I've never heard anyone call a lorry to larger vehicles with the same characteristics.

By the way, which of these two is the correct word in British English: tons or tonnes? :)

By the way, which of these two is the correct word in British English: tons or tonnes? :)
Depends if it is a standard international scientific metric tonne or an old fashioned imperial ton of a size that depends on where you happen to be!

Well, I wasn't too far off but I don't think it's all about the cargo part being separated physically from the cab or covered. I've always heard you Brits call "lorry" to covered vehicles that are usually under 3.5 tons, I've never heard anyone call a lorry to larger vehicles with the same characteristics.
The official government guide has lorries up to 44 tonnes (metric), including articulated ones, complete with diagrams:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guide-to-lorry-types-and-weights

Those Canadians are all over Cali and Arizona right now too. No worse than the the indigenous population.
C
Ca
See if you can PM a mod to move your post to the "Recorded by You" section of the forum BB.

In the UK, we don't call a truck a truck unless it has about 16 wheels, lol... I was looking for a big wagon! :)
Thanks Paul I missed that in the Forum list. I will try to get up with mod.

Depends if it is a standard international scientific metric tonne or an old fashioned imperial ton of a size that depends on where you happen to be!
So in my case it's tonnes but what about you? Do you use metric or imperial for weight measurements?

So in my case it's tonnes but what about you? Do you use metric or imperial for weight measurements?
Normally we use metric tonnes. If it is an ancient steam engine then it is probably in UK imperial tons, which at 1,016 kg are not much different to a metric tonne anyway. A USA ton is only 907 kg.

We do still use the word "ton" to mean "100", or sometimes "a large amount". For example a ton can mean 100mph in films or on Top Gear.

I sell chain blocks in my store, which are 1/2 ton, 1 ton, etc, but hoists are 250Kg, 500Kg, etc.

We have pipes measured by the metre and 4,8 and 12 inch engineers squares for sale.

So I would say, we use whichever we want, lol....

I sell chain blocks in my store, which are 1/2 ton, 1 ton, etc, but hoists are 250Kg, 500Kg, etc.

We have pipes measured by the metre and 4,8 and 12 inch engineers squares for sale.

So I would say, we use whichever we want, lol....
Isn't that illegal?

I just looked - they don't say ton, they also say 500Kg. My bad.

But there are cranes listed as 1 tonne and Halfords have 2 tonne cranes - so it must be allowed or those products would have to change. The squares say 6" and 300mm (so no probs either).

I just looked - they don't say ton, they also say 500Kg. My bad.

But there are cranes listed as 1 tonne and Halfords have 2 tonne cranes - so it must be allowed or those products would have to change. The squares say 6" and 300mm (so no probs either).
A 1 tonne crane is OK, that is a metric tonne.
You are still allowed to put both, although I thought some units, including ton because of the confusion, were completely outlawed when selling.

Back