K1S Questions

HEZEUS

Reaction score
Country
United States
The K1S looks as if it might fit my needs for a camera with the following features
Very discreet dual cams
Control functions separate from the camera bodies
Good night video
Functional Motion Detection
firmware upgrades
5V power​

Here are my questions
    1. Does the motion detect function actually detect moving objects in the field of view, and then begin recording? In short is it a true motion detector? (Unlike the Mini 0806)
    • Detailed explanation of the motion detect operation would be appreciated
  • Have any upgrades or firmware changes occurred since the Techmoan & Dashcamtalk.com reviews were published?
  • Does the manufacturer plan on issuing regular upgrades
    • is there any word on Customer Support?
    • Has the MPH vs KPH issue been addressed
  • Adding this question in EDIT Mode after posting
  • How does the Parking Mode function & how is it triggered?
Thanks

Edward

Last edited:
the motion detect won't work any better than an 0806, same platform, same limitations

MPH and KPH firmware versions are available

Very limited motion detection ability on this product I'm afraid. It's not the ideal parking mode solution. The night performance was not the best once street lights are not present from what I've seen. I'd say it's between average/good'ish but lower bit rate makes reading plates difficult. Also be aware that large battery isn't ideal for hot summers. Even if the main unit is hidden away.

Last edited:
the motion detect won't work any better than an 0806, same platform, same limitations

MPH and KPH firmware versions are available
Thank you Joklin
Sometimes the truth can be disappointing.
I must tell you however how impressed I am with your knowledge of your field.
And how much you know about products other than those you manufacture/represent.

Not to limit the value of your reply
I was actually hoping the Manufacturer or Tech Representative of the K1S would chime in and add some first hand info.
I certainly isn't too late if he/she as well actual owners of the device would like to join in. (Please!)

Thank you once again
Edward

I was actually hoping the Manufacturer or Tech Representative of the K1S would chime in and add some first hand info.

from memory none of them are active on here

that aside though the platform it's built on is working within its capabilities, regardless of which rep tells you what you can't get functionality out of the hardware that the hardware just can't support

Very limited motion detection ability on this product I'm afraid. It's not the ideal parking mode solution. The night performance was not the best once street lights are not present from what I've seen. I'd say it's between average/good'ish but lower bit rate makes reading plates difficult. Also be aware that large battery isn't idea for hot summers. Even if the main unit is hidden away.
Thanks for your reply as well Pier28

As the U.S Retailer for Street Guardian and definitely in cahoots with Joklin this reply is actually for both of you.
I've read that SG is working on the remote cam concept.

How closely in line are my personal priorities listed below to what you are working on

Very discreet dual cams
DVR, screen, and controls separate from the camera bodies
Very good (or excellent) night video
Functional Motion Detection
Ditto for parking mode
(and a review on how they are different)
firmware upgrades
5V power

Thanks
Edward

y di
that aside though the platform it's built on is working within its capabilities, regardless of which rep tells you what you can't get functionality out of the hardware that the hardware just can't support

Said like a true veteran designer of functional items.
Most appreciated
Take care
Edward

it's something that's in the product roadmap but still some way away at this stage, main reason it is delayed is the hardware we need is just not up to task yet, you might notice in the current market that all dual cam products are flawed, there is no perfect dual cam product, all have their limitations

Hello Joklin

Thank you for asking.
I appreciate your interest in users’ opinions.

Before going into detail of my preference for 5V dash cam power please understand that I am not an expert, nor even qualified to write a technical opinion regarding dash cams.
Any of my so called “knowledge” comes from reading the forums & dash cam reviews and the subsequent conclusions I have drawn from them.
You will most likely uncover flawed reasoning, & unsupported conclusions,.
When you do please speak up.
Your input is most welcome

In understanding the reasoning behind the 5V conclusion I think it important to be aware of my primary expectations of dash cams (whether single or multiple cameras)
- Discreet form factor
- Camera(s) separate from DVR with controls at the DVR
- Automatic recording of every moment when the ignition is on
- Motion detect mode to record activity around the car when the ignition s off.
(Most likely manually switched at the DVR controls)

Also please understand that I am very wary of any device that gives any accessory access to the car’s battery when the ignition is off
This includes any of the current battery hard wire kits & low voltage cut-offs as well as similar circuitry built into the Camera/DVR
I am simply unwilling to risk battery depletion no matter what the cause.

Considering the above I’ve concluded that an auxiliary battery could be the solution
The wiring would be such that with the ignition on the Camera/DVR would receive voltage directly from the car’s electrical system ;and with the ignition off via the aux battery.
The aux battery would be recharged when the ignition is on.
Very simple manual switching would take care of this.
- Switch Position A Camera on & off with ignition
- Switch Position B Camera powered by Aux Battery

The reason for 5V is then
- All of the switching can be wired via USB connections.
- The switching is in the 5V system not in the car’s 12V system
- The car's 12v system can be fuse protected from the 5V power source
- It appears that quality aux 5V batteries such as the Limefuel 15600mA are more reasonably priced than their 12V counterparts .
(eg: Aux batteries for sound systems, Lucas Smart Power, Cellink, T-Alpha)​

That’s it..

Looking forward to your reply
Regards
Edward

Hello Joklin

Thank you for asking.
I appreciate your interest in users’ opinions.

even this is not my product what you want to do with it is still of interest so I have a better idea about what consumers want in a product, helps us shape what we do with our own products

the challenge with a 5v battery system is driving enough to replenish them and how to switch, most don't do pass through charging so how do you switch between powered from the vehicle when running and powered from the aux battery when parked, if it means swapping cables it can become tiresome, the aux batteries that do pass though seem to be quite expensive and I'm not sure if you can ever drive enough to keep the charge maintained which then means having to do some sort of top up charge at whatever intervals

... Before going into detail of my preference for 5V dash cam power ...

The way my SGZC12RC works might interest you. Mine is set to function in buffered motion sensing mode when driving & when parked. The use of motion detection while driving is not advisable for most cameras, however, it's entirely reliable with the SGZC12RC.

The camera is plugged into the 12v accessory socket. At the same time it's plugged into my 5v Anker 13000mAH external battery.

While driving, the SGZC12RC is powered by the car's 12v supply. When I park & switch off the engine, I simultaneously press the power switch on the external battery, & the camera seamlessly continues recording.

The SGZC12RC is a single channel camera, but a pair of them makes a very good alternative to a dual channel setup.

image.jpg

The camera is plugged into the 12v accessory socket. At the same time it's plugged into my 5v Anker 13000mAH external battery.
Thanks russ331
Are you too part of that SG /Joklin conspiracy to provide the world with excellent Dash Cams?

I must admit the SGZ12RC is the exact camera that has whetted my appetite for cameras with separate monitors.
(and controls at the monitor)
And many of its features are now high on my priority list.
But more about my priorities/preferences at another time .

Tell me please
How is it you can run the camera with a 5V battery?
Is the operating system not 12V?
What important concept eludes me?

Detailed explanations make my day BTW
Best
Edward

Sited next to the 12v power socket is a Micro USB socket. It's primary purpose is as a factory service port. It's secondary use is as a 5v power input, as documented by @niko in several videos.

When I start the car, the 12v supply plugged into the lighter socket charges the capacitors, & powers the camera until I switch off the engine. When parked away from home, I then press the power switch on my external power bank, & the camera continues recording.

When I return to the car, I switch off the power bank as soon as I start the engine.

Last edited:
When parked away from home, I then press the power switch on my external power bank, & the camera continues recording.
That's great news!!
It's time to add another SGZ12RC feature to my high priority list
And time to go follow up on the @niko link, thank you

When you switch to the battery do you also then manually switch the camera to buffered motion detect mode?
(I did read your note The use of motion detection while driving is not advisable for most cameras, however, it's entirely reliable with the SGZC12RC.)
Also, do you have any estimate on battery life in motion detect mode?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Koonlung 7
E Koonlung 11
Back