Late 2017 multi camera options ?

Blacksys has a new 2ch cam out, but like the 'Mini' series cams I won't recommend it because of the history of issues with their previous models. It may or may not prove OK. The older 2ch cams still have their known issues. Of the single-channel cams Viofo has been the most prolific and their newest versions of the A119 series seem to be very good cams for the prices asked. The WR-1 us small and interesting but too new to know well yet. The G1W-S offers great low-light performance cheaply. Others like the Vico-Opia2, Thinkware F800, Chupad D501, Gokuk T3, and Garmin 55 are looking pretty good so far and some like the SJ Dash, Innov C3, Waylens, and Cobra models might prove good. Hardware limitations still afflict all the 2ch cams (mostly low bitrate) and of those I can recommend only the SG9663DC and the old F770. And I too feel better performance comes from 2 single cams.

Of the singles, the A119 series newest models offer higher-end performance at mid-level prices. They might have some QC issues but when bought from a good seller the warranty handles that, and few are the failures in service. IMHO it is the most significant dashcam of 2017. Following on it's heels is the WR-1, discreet and interesting, and their G1W-S which excels at night at the cost of being only OK daytime. The Chupad D501 looks to be a mid-price winner, The Goluk T3 has a decent parking mode, the Garmin 55 sits higher up the scale. Other than the WR-1 with it's newness, all these have shown to be reliable enough that I can recommend them. On the cheap end of things I've found the G1W-HC a bargain with vids as good as cams costing double and good reliability, however very few trustworthy reviews are out there as it seems few have been sold. The G1W-S fills a similar spot at a higher price as does the Viofo A118C. But all is not well in the dashcam world and we've seen problems.

The Mobius M2 has disappointed and is a dud design. The DR650 has given some users problems, the Opia2 is similar, the WR-1 wifi apps are still flaky but will probably get worked out, the Waylens is having some issues when ran for extended times but has features galore, the SJ Dash isn't settled yet but doesn't look like it will be more than average at best, the Innov C3 is developing too slowly, and most of the action dams have had little development toward dashcam usage.

One thing worth a separate mention is that the excellent Sony Exmor series sensor is now being seen in many more cams- even cheaper ones- and that is probably the single most significant dashcam-related event of this year so far. So now I think you'll too agree that it has been an interesting year for dashcam enthusiasts with good progress made but more progress possible. There are certainly many more cams worth your money in most price ranges than in the past so IMHO it's a good time to buy, as I don't see any signs of any thing more than the further development of existing models happening in the next year.

All this is just my thoughts and opinions based mostly on what I've seen here on DCT from members who have cam experience and seem to be reasonable and trustworthy. I won't debate any of this here as others have their own opinions. Other than the M2 it's not meant to be bashing any cam or manufacturer, and you should research any cams you're interested in and make your own decisions- that will never change.

Phil
Very informative @SawMaster

I think @SawMaster summed things up pretty well, dashcams are in a constant state of evolution, there's nothing revolutionary happening and I don't really expect that to change, incremental change will continue for the foreseeable future
I am a middle-of-the-roader, and would rather have solid, reliable changes based upon actual field experience.

Nextbase's 512gw will soon have a compatible rear cam, I don't know the spec of it though

I think @SawMaster summed things up pretty well, dashcams are in a constant state of evolution, there's nothing revolutionary happening and I don't really expect that to change, incremental change will continue for the foreseeable future

People need to get away from the "it will do" nonsense and actually focus on the rare occurrence when it is required.

For instance, I read people who say they don't need this or that because 98% of the time they don't but we're not talking about a space shuttle list of requirements here. The list for a perfect dashcam has about 10 items on it, if even 10.

What I think constrains the development of dashcams is that all manufacturers see there is no long term future in this business. Perhaps one or two will be able to sell out to the car manufacturers but the rest will die and like electric windows, once one manufacturer does it, they all will. In less than 10 years, every car coming off the production line will have 8/12/16 cameras all running permanently and there will be no aftermarket dashcam business.

What I think constrains the development of dashcams is that all manufacturers see there is no long term future in this business. Perhaps one or two will be able to sell out to the car manufacturers but the rest will die and like electric windows, once one manufacturer does it, they all will. In less than 10 years, every car coming off the production line will have 8/12/16 cameras all running permanently and there will be no aftermarket dashcam business.

it has peaked in some markets but still has quite a long way to go yet, the problem is not that there's no long term future, there are two types of manufacturers, those that try and find ways to improve the products to make them better, and those that try and find ways to make the products cheaper, each feels their idea is the key to growing their businesses

The dashcam market has at last 15 years life left in it, but I have no clue what it will be like then. Most cars see around 15 years road use more or less, and most cars are 'downscale' models which will be the last ones to get factory cams. Fleet vehicles are usually base models and contribute a fair percentage to the used car market. Fleet managers will not spend for cams unless there's a payoff, so most of those will be bought and resold without cams. Or they will use a discrete cam system which they will keep when the cars get resold. Moreso when you're talking about fleet trucks and vans. It is only when every new car comes with a dashcam that the market will go dormant.
Then there are action cam users- boats, planes, motorcycles, racers, sportsmen, and drone pilots- who will always need aftermarket cams.

By the time these things happen, almost everyone will know that the cheap cams aren't worth having so the people making those will be the first to go away. That will leave only good cams made by a handful of folks who will have to find a way to live with minimal sales. Or perhaps they will become OE cam suppliers while still having an aftermarket arm, sort of how Bose and Blaupunkt function now. The only thing I see as certain is that the market, it's focus, and the cams will change as all this occurs.

Phil

The dashcam market has at last 15 years life left in it, but I have no clue what it will be like then. Most cars see around 15 years road use more or less, and most cars are 'downscale' models which will be the last ones to get factory cams. Fleet vehicles are usually base models and contribute a fair percentage to the used car market. Fleet managers will not spend for cams unless there's a payoff, so most of those will be bought and resold without cams. Or they will use a discrete cam system which they will keep when the cars get resold. Moreso when you're talking about fleet trucks and vans. It is only when every new car comes with a dashcam that the market will go dormant.
Then there are action cam users- boats, planes, motorcycles, racers, sportsmen, and drone pilots- who will always need aftermarket cams.

By the time these things happen, almost everyone will know that the cheap cams aren't worth having so the people making those will be the first to go away. That will leave only good cams made by a handful of folks who will have to find a way to live with minimal sales. Or perhaps they will become OE cam suppliers while still having an aftermarket arm, sort of how Bose and Blaupunkt function now. The only thing I see as certain is that the market, it's focus, and the cams will change as all this occurs.

Phil

We are already seeing payoff for insurance premiums and dashcams so even with your fleet sales argument, which I only marginally subscribe to, the cost benefit analysis might be there very soon.

The Nissan Qashqai, which is a very popular and not exactly high end car, has had 360 degree camera coverage for the last 3 or 4 years. The same cars now have XXGB of storage for music and onboard systems. Battery technology is likely sufficient to make reduced frame parking mode a multi day option. The rest is simply tech which is already there and packaging into the fabric of the car where it can be hidden far better than aftermarket.

What would the cost be to a car ? I'll say $100/200 on low to mid scale volumes now and if pure mainline, then sub $50 at cost. Given cars probably cost more than $50 each in marketing spend, the first adopter benefits are simply huge.

I am not sure I agree. The 360 cams on the qashqai are there but the video quality is terrible. Just good to avoid hitting another car while parking. No way to use it for recording. The qashqai audio and navigation system is pretty bad. I think that there will always be room for serious manufacturers to provide higher end dashcam with firmware updates and improved models every year or so. Whatever is sold with the car will generally be left as is by the manufacturer, with little or no (very pricy) updates. If I had the choice to buy my car without audio/navigation system, I would have gone that route without any doubt and added a third party system later. I don't own a SG yet, but from what I hear, there will no built-in camera that will offer such customer care and regular technical improvements.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk Pro

Back