Leads

Dopey1

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, the short computer lead won't work on my computer, but the strange thing is, the long lead (for the back camera does) has anyone come across this? And is there a solution to the problem? Thanks

Use a different short cable, or a different computer!

If it doesn't work then there is probably not enough voltage getting through the cable. Normally they work OK for card reading, maybe for recording, but not with the rear camera connected. You could try a different USB port on the computer, that may have a higher voltage, but if it is not working then probably there is no solution other than to change either the power source or the cable.

Hi all, the short computer lead won't work on my computer, but the strange thing is, the long lead (for the back camera does) has anyone come across this? And is there a solution to the problem? Thanks

Often people report the opposite problem. They find that the long cable won't work on their computer but the short one will.

The issue usually has to do with number of active pins in the cable plug that correspond to the number of wires in the cable. So usually the short cable supplied with the camera is intended for transferring data to and from your computer (your videos) and the long cable supplied with the camera is just for powering the camera. There are both 4 pin and 5 pin versions of USB cables.

I don't know the explanation for your problem. Nigel's suggestion to try a different port on your computer might work.

usb-pins.jpg

Last edited:
I did try a different port, no joy, but they are usb2 I will try a usb3 and see if I get joy, I have tried 2 genuine viofo ones, and one from Amazon to no joy, the only one that worked was the long back cam one, I will try another computer, or my laptop, thanks for your input chaps

The fact that your cable is not from Viofo probably explains it. One way or another you need a "data " cable, not just a power cable and it sounds like that's what you've got from Amazon. You wouldn't be the only one here on DCT to encounter this problem.

The fact that they are not from Viofo probably explains it. One way or another you need a "data " cable, not just a power cable and it sounds like that's what you've got from Amazon. You wouldn't be the only one here on DCT to encounter this problem.
No 2 of the short leads are from Viofo genuine ones, when they didn't work only then did I order a 3rd from Amazon, thanks

No 2 of the short leads are from Viofo genuine ones, when they didn't work only then did I order a 3rd from Amazon, thanks

I'm still not sure why the short cable isn't working but now that I think about it the long cable that connects the front cam and the back cam likely does provide a data connection, so that is probably why it works.

I'm still not sure why the short cable isn't working but now that I think about it the long cable that connects the front cam and the back cam likely does provide a data connection, so that is probably why it works.
I agree, but why the hell not the short one, It's baffling to me

I agree, but why the hell not the short one

It baffles me too. The whole reason they provide a short cable is so you have a way to connect it to your computer.
The first cam I got was a 129 pro (not with 4k) and a short cable worked fine with it, but the front cam broke, I got my money back for that, so I thought I would upgrade to the 4k one, and haven't had luck with that, so I sent the second one back because of this, and now this is the 2nd one (with 4k) that has this problem, but just as an aside, I went to the Viofo forum, and they don't even bother to post my problem up on the forum, twice I have tried to post it, and twice they have ignored it

The first cam I got was a 129 pro (not with 4k) and a short cable worked fine with it, but the front cam broke, I got my money back for that, so I thought I would upgrade to the 4k one, and haven't had luck with that, so I sent the second one back because of this, and now this is the 2nd one (with 4k) that has this problem, but just as an aside, I went to the Viofo forum, and they don't even bother to post my problem up on the forum, twice I have tried to post it, and twice they have ignored it

It will be interesting to see if any other Pro Duo owner who may see this thread reports the same or similar issue.

It will be interesting to see if any other Pro Duo owner who may see this thread reports the same or similar issue.
I think the leads (only my thoughts) that come with the 4k are ok, because the lead I bought, still won't work, so it's the software in the cam that's at fault, I have otherways to retreve the recordings like the big lead, and I have a SSD USB connector as well, and that works fine

I think the leads (only my thoughts) that come with the 4k are ok, because the lead I bought, still won't work, so it's the software in the cam that's at fault, I have otherways to retreve the recordings like the big lead, and I have a SSD USB connector as well, and that works fine

How about we tag @VIOFO-Support and see what advice can be provided?

That's fine by me if you would like to do that, the forum is ignoring me, lol

Using a member's name with the @ symbol will "tag" them and get their attention, so I've already done it. But it's the middle of the night in China right now, so be patient, it could take a while for Viofo to respond.

And the forum is not ignoring you. Whether anyone else has a comment to offer in this thread is anyone's guess but you only first posted about your issue three hours ago, so not that many members would have even seen it yet. :)

Using a member's name with the @ symbol will "tag" them and get their attention, so I've already done it. But it's the middle of the night in China right now, so be patient, it could take a while for Viofo to respond.

And the forum is not ignoring you. Whether anyone else has a comment to offer in this thread is anyone's guess but you only first posted about your issue three hours ago, so not that many members would have even seen it yet. :)
No I posted last week as well, but that's been lost or discarded somehow, that why I say what I did, If it was only a few hours ago I would agree, anyway see that they say, might be just a misunderstanding or a mistake?

No I posted last week as well, but that's been lost or discarded somehow, that why I say what I did, If it was only a few hours ago I would agree, anyway see that they say, might be just a misunderstanding or a mistake?

I don't understand. According to what it says under your avatar, you only joined the forum just today.

I don't understand. According to what it says under your avatar, you only joined the forum just today.
This forum yes, but the one on the official Viofo I joined a few weeks back Joined Feb 22, 2022

Back