Leads

I think you'll find that to be a very different environment than what you can expect here. ;)
We its off to a good start here, I get a reply and it gets posted....... 2 things I find are important on any forum :D
:D

we noted the cable you bought is not from us,
there may be different specifications of different cables and if our original short cable does not work, you can contact support.viofo.com
the rear cable is only for connecting the VIOFO rear cam with the front cam, and can not be used in other cams or other cases,

Hmmn. ...It says it's a DATA cable, so it should work. I don't know the answer to why it's not working.

The spelling in the Amazon listing is atrocious and it's a name I don't know = I'm suspicious. I've previously bought unknown from Amazon and not all the pins were as they should be.

The one make that's never let me down is UGreen but there are probably others. I think the Amazon Basic own brand are reliable.

Hi all, the short computer lead won't work on my computer, but the strange thing is, the long lead (for the back camera does) has anyone come across this? And is there a solution to the problem? Thanks

Welcome to the forum Dopey1. Seems a condescending alias but hey your choice.

I've read the entire thread and keep coming back to your first post.

Exactly what are you trying to do?
With the Viofo short lead what is it you expect it to do.
With the long lead what is it doing exactly.

Why is the long lead out of the car?
Haven't fitted it yet?

If you can answer those question then I'll try and help.

One more question to try and understand:

the only one that worked was the long back cam one,
How can you plug the back cam cable into a computer? It has the wrong connectors!

That's a valid point by LateralNW

The OP needs to bare in mind that the long cable is for firing the cam up for recording whereas the short, data cable, plugged into a PC, puts the cam into data mode and will not fire it up into recording mode. Instead it should be visible in Wind9ws file explorer as another drive much like a USB stick.

How can you plug the back cam cable into a computer? It has the wrong connectors!

I'm being open minded without judgement but it all seems a little wacked.

Looking forward to the OPs reply.

there may be different specifications of different cables and if our original short cable does not work, you can contact support.viofo.com
the rear cable is only for connecting the VIOFO rear cam with the front cam, and can not be used in other cams or other cases,
I think you miss read, the problem is with YOUR short cables, two of them not Woking, one came in the box, and the other from a Viofo authorised seller, so both original.
I suspect it's from China and is suspect anyway, but I thought there's no harm in trying another brand to see if it works or not

Welcome to the forum Dopey1. Seems a condescending alias but hey your choice.

I've read the entire thread and keep coming back to your first post.

Exactly what are you trying to do?
With the Viofo short lead what is it you expect it to do.
With the long lead what is it doing exactly.

Why is the long lead out of the car?
Haven't fitted it yet?

I am trying to load what's on the SSD card to my computer via the short lead (lets call it the computer lead) I can't even get as far as it recognising my phone so that I can change settings or load data

I plug the short lead into the front cam, the USB lead into my computer, the cam fires up, makes the on noise, the picture comes up then the picture is replaced with the message: Micro SD Card Reader Mode......

I use the long lead, but I was wrong thinking was for the back camera it's another lead, (put a photo up for you) This one works fine, but the sort one wont.

Sir, I stand corrected, I was wrong, it wasn't that lead I put a photo up of the one that I am using, because it was long I for some reason thought it was that one, and I did pull the back cam one out, so I got them mixed up.

Attachments

• 20220311_160632.jpg
    20220311_160632.jpg
    358.2 KB · Views: 5
This it what I get with the short lead connected....

Attachments

• 20220311_161532.jpg
    20220311_161532.jpg
    268.4 KB · Views: 7
This it what I get with the short lead connected....
I’m a little confused. The camera is supposed to go into reader mode with the short data cable and connected to your computer. Does to card not show up as a new drive on your PC?

I’m a little confused. The camera is supposed to go into reader mode with the short data cable and connected to your computer. Does to card not show up as a new drive on your PC?
It shows nothing, like It's not even plugged in, let me try a USB3 I didn't so far, Ok its reading the card now on the computer, But I am still getting that message on the front cam "Micro SD Card Reader Mode" at least I can load the video on to the computer now

It shows nothing, like It's not even plugged in, let me try a USB3 I didn't so far, Ok its reading the card now on the computer, But I am still getting that message on the front cam "Micro SD Card Reader Mode" at least I can load the video on to the computer now
The camera is supposed to show Micro SD Card Reader Mode on the lcd screen while plugged into your PC.

When you connect the camera to your computer, you can't watch the video on the camera. The camera just works like a card reader.

When you connect the camera to your computer, you can't watch the video on the camera. The camera just works like a card reader.
I realise that, but you can watch it on your phone, and change settings etc, I couldn't do that before, it wouldn't recognise my phone

Now its working, is there on the forum, the best settings suggestions anywhere please?

Now its working, is there on the forum, the best settings suggestions anywhere please?

Thanks for the informative reply and the pictures, they do really help.

From what I have read since I last posted would agree that both USB cables work? e.g. They both display on the Dashcam screen "MicroSD Card Reader Mode"
When you plug either of these cables into the computer both are recognised? You can tell in a Windows Computer as it will usually report a device has been plugged in.
If that is correct then you should see the card reader as a drive letter in Windows Explorer.
You should also be able to copy any of those files to your computer.

If you say yes to all of the above then we can move on to the Mobile phone wifi issues.
I don't own this camera so others will have to chip in for the best settings. Some settings are similar to other Viofo units so I'll chip in if I think of anything.

** Note about USB cables - not all are created equal. With a Viofo dashcam, the USB standard is loosely followed. Some 3rd party USB cables won't work. This could be the 3rd party USB cables are made cheaply with low-grade wire or was not designed to have above specification current drawn through them.
Best practice is to USB a known working cable then experiment with 3rd party products. Ideally, just purchase them from Viofo but this can be inconvenient as we all want it now:) (That includes me lol)

Thanks for the informative reply and the pictures, they do really help.

From what I have read since I last posted would agree that both USB cables work? e.g. They both display on the Dashcam screen "MicroSD Card Reader Mode"
When you plug either of these cables into the computer both are recognised? You can tell in a Windows Computer as it will usually report a device has been plugged in.
If that is correct then you should see the card reader as a drive letter in Windows Explorer.
You should also be able to copy any of those files to your computer.

If you say yes to all of the above then we can move on to the Mobile phone wifi issues.
I don't own this camera so others will have to chip in for the best settings. Some settings are similar to other Viofo units so I'll chip in if I think of anything.

** Note about USB cables - not all are created equal. With a Viofo dashcam, the USB standard is loosely followed. Some 3rd party USB cables won't work. This could be the 3rd party USB cables are made cheaply with low-grade wire or was not designed to have above specification current drawn through them.
Best practice is to USB a known working cable then experiment with 3rd party products. Ideally, just purchase them from Viofo but this can be inconvenient as we all want it now:) (That includes me lol)
It all seems to be working now when it's plugged into the computer, it is reading the files and I can now load them in the computer, so all of that is great,
The only other thing that works when plugged into the computer is, I can turn off the camera and turn it on again, but I can't do anything other than that, to change the settings (using the Wi-Fi) I have to plug it in to the wall socket and use it that way (this also works with the short cable) Or I can do that by putting it into the car and changing the settings that way. The good thing is, there are workarounds so that's a good thing, but my original gripe was .... why I can't use the short cable to do these things?

Back