Lens dstance from window glass.

Lola

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Mobius, A119
I have read here that distance from glass is either set up as close or far away. I want to set my distance in the close range but how close is close relative to the lens?
What is considered the ideal lens distance for a Mobius camera used as a rear cam on a window that is vertical, lens is the "A" narrow if that makes any difference.

I don't know at this point that I will stay with the narrow A lens so I wouldn't want to handicap myself by not being able to move to wider angle lens if I wanted to for some reason, like maybe the wider angle lens is further out from the Mobius then the narrow lens.

I now have a question relative to the above question.

When you place the Mobius lens close to the widow glass I have a heavy 1 inch piece of tint that go's across the very top of my rear window.
How far should the lens be vertically from the edge of this heavy tint to not give a problem with what the lens sees through the window.

I don't have a Android tablet yet to set up/align the camera or this would be a mute point. I'm using a level, ruler, and an eyeball to get it as close as I can with out disastrous results therefore the questions :cool::D.

Last edited:
I have my rear camera right up against the glass, so there is just 1-2 mm clearance.
Mine is the "B" lens, but i would still do the same if it was a "A" lens, mostly due to the camera being mounted off the frame of the hatch around the window.
I have not yet noticed anyone spotting the camera back there though it is right in your face, but it is still a small camera and ppl have other things to do than look for cameras.

If some one spot is and have a issue with that he is more than welcome to get in my face about it, not least if he is is a little smaller than a fully "roided" up biker just released after a 6 year long workout.

PS. I eyeball all my non screen cameras, or rather i did that too with the SG9665GC as i mounted the mounting bracket first and then put on the camera, and that did precent a little problems the first time as i installed it so high on my windscreen i was barely able to put the camera on the mounting bracket :oops:

Its now moved 10 mm down for a more easy install/uninstall.

my thinking on this is, the closer to the lens is to the screen the less (or reduced) chance of capturing any marks, water spots and dust that might be on the windscreen

as DVR’s tend to come with wide angles, almost everything from 5cm/10cm in front of the lens might be clear enough to be seen on the movie clip.

so in my opinion, the closer (1 or 2 mm) to the screen you can get the DVR lens the better and hopefully help eliminate that issue, just how close all depends how much room you have, myself enough a gap for the lens not to make contact with the screen if going over a bump in the road is good enough

I have my rear camera right up against the glass, so there is just 1-2 mm clearance.
Mine is the "B" lens, but i would still do the same if it was a "A" lens, mostly due to the camera being mounted off the frame of the hatch around the window.
I have not yet noticed anyone spotting the camera back there though it is right in your face, but it is still a small camera and ppl have other things to do than look for cameras.

If some one spot is and have a issue with that he is more than welcome to get in my face about it, not least if he is is a little smaller than a fully "roided" up biker just released after a 6 year long workout.

PS. I eyeball all my non screen cameras, or rather i did that too with the SG9665GC as i mounted the mounting bracket first and then put on the camera, and that did precent a little problems the first time as i installed it so high on my windscreen i was barely able to put the camera on the mounting bracket :oops:

Its now moved 10 mm down for a more easy install/uninstall.

Thanks Kamcar1, That's what I like to hear, straight specifics, 1 to 2 mm it will be! I'll have to play with the mount a little to get there but that won't be a problem.

What about the second question, I don't know the answer to that either.

When you place the Mobius lens close to the widow glass I have a heavy 1 inch piece of tint that go's across the very top of my rear window.
How far should the lens be vertically from the edge of this heavy tint to not give a problem with what the lens sees through the window.

The big + with me and my car is the window in the hatch is vertical, so with the lens that close i dont have any of the heater elements in the footage.
And though my camera is 1 inch or so below the very top of the glass its still covered by the wiper on the hatch.

On a rear window with a slope on it, it might be a good idea to back off a little, but that depend on how the heater elements is in relation to the lens.
I think the best thing is to crawl into the back seat and hold the recording camera up to positions you feel might be viable in regard to making a good install.
And then later preview the footage to see that is hot and what is not.

I dont think it matter if the lens is close or not to the tint on the glass, should not matter much cuz on a dark road a rear camera only capture darkness.
Off course the days with low light or later in the day will mean the unfortunate time of day with low light will be expanded by the presence of the tint.

The good thing is back there if there is a car the camera will have no problem catching its headlights at least.
A example from my x camera in the back, filming in my home town of Randers.
This little town is not lit up like a whore :D thats why i say some large towns have more light at night than most Danish towns have in the middle of a winters day.

Last edited:
Back