Licence plate readability, is this normal?

Paulbri

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
A229 Pro 2CH
Hi,

I was looking back at my recording from yesterday and noticed that the upcoming traffic licence plates are unreadable at 40 Mph speeds during the day. Is this expected?

This is from a front A229 Pro at 4K at maximum bitrate recording.

Attachments

• Viofo.png
    Viofo.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 51
That seem a bit far off, in general i pull plates within the last 2-3 frames the oncoming car is in view.
A 4K sensor you should be able to zoom in a little to resolve the plate, like i do in this footage from the 70mai A810.

That seem a bit far off, in general i pull plates within the last 2-3 frames the oncoming car is in view.
A 4K sensor you should be able to zoom in a little to resolve the plate, like i do in this footage from the 70mai A810.
Wow, I get nothing even close to your video. Maybe the player I'm using has something to do with it when I stop the video somehow it's different. I'm using Windows Media Player Classic. But if this is normal for Viofo and video from 70mai that much better maybe I should reconsider my purchase.

There are for sure a difference in how different software players handle video, i also use to use the windows players in the operative system, but they are not super good in my experience.

I am not sure if the PC hardware might also have a say in rendering stuff, my PC have always been fairly beefy as i use to like playing games, and even if i have not done that for over 20 years as games turned to poop, then i do still build a new PC on the premise i might find something to play one day.

Wow, I get nothing even close to your video. Maybe the player I'm using has something to do with it when I stop the video somehow it's different. I'm using Windows Media Player Classic. But if this is normal for Viofo and video from 70mai that much better maybe I should reconsider my purchase.
You can see screenshots from A229 Pro here:
No need to reconsider your purchase.
You won't get what the A229 Pro can do from the A810.

I tried VLC player not much of a difference. I can catch good frames occasionally but mostly the quality is disappointing for upcoming traffic at higher speeds.

To be fair both examples from @kamkar and @Karagandinez look like recorded in perfect conditions. It just stopped raining on my video.

Another advantage to 70mai A810 is I just looked up its specs and it's 60fps to 30fps on Viofo which would make a bit of difference I would think.

I tried VLC player not much of a difference. I can catch good frames occasionally but mostly the quality is disappointing for upcoming traffic at higher speeds.

To be fair both examples from @kamkar and @Karagandinez look like recorded in perfect conditions. It just stopped raining on my video.

Another advantage to 70mai A810 is I just looked up its specs and it's 60fps to 30fps on Viofo which would make a bit of difference I would think.
60 fps over 30 fps will not give you an advantage. That's the first thing...
The second thing is that you didn't read all the A810 specifications carefully...
And the most important thing: We need the original of your video to evaluate the quality of your model.
Upload your video to the file sharing service https://wetransfer.com/ and post the link here.

70mai A810
Image resolutions:
Ultra HD 4K (3840 x 2160) 30 FPS (HDR ON) (without additional camera)
Ultra HD 4K (3840 x 2160) 25 FPS (HDR ON) + Additional camera FullHD (1920 x 1080) 25 FPS (HDR ON), H.265 codec, 16:9
Full HD (1920 x 1080) 60 FPS (HDR OFF) + Additional camera FullHD (1920 x 1080) 25 FPS (HDR ON), H.265 codec, 16:9
Full HD (1920 x 1080) 30 FPS (HDR ON) + Additional FullHD camera (1920 x 1080) 25 FPS (HDR ON), H.265 codec, 16:9

My video also recorded on a cloudy day.

But ! i have often felt that one day i can take a drive and record 0 plates, and then the day after, seemingly in the same conditions i get all plate capture.
But i do think it is a question of how i with my poor human eyesight perceive the world, as you probably know, human eyesight are pretty poor only a little right in the middle of our vision are bang on clear, but off to the side it get worse and worse, to a level where our brain will start to fill in the blanks with extrapolations.
I also think that light levels, well at least from 1 day to another, is not something we are made to deal with.

My video are strait from the camera, then loaded into my old power director 17 ( now at version 26 ) and then i have found my freeze frames on which to do the pan / zoom trick, and then it is exported in 4K / H.265 and 50 mbit.

Funn7y thing i have just lost access to youtube,,,, all of it, so my video above i can not see it here, and i just time out if i try to go to any of my channels or just youtube.com

60 fps over 30 fps will not give you an advantage. That's the first thing...
The second thing is that you didn't read all the A810 specifications carefully...
And the most important thing: We need the original of your video to evaluate the quality of your model.
Upload your video to the file sharing service https://wetransfer.com/ and post the link here.
That's what I was thinking to show the original video. But the thing is it was recorded with sound and my licence plate which I don't want to broadcast to the World Wide Web. :)
If I could remove the audio and redact the licence plate somehow I would like to share that video. If not I would need to record another one with sound and licence place feature turned off. But then it will be different conditions etc.

Funn7y thing i have just lost access to youtube,,,, all of it, so my video above i can not see it here, and i just time out if i try to go to any of my channels or just youtube.com
Hmm, it's still working for me. I can access your channel and videos no problem :unsure:

I think something nasty just climbed onto my computer, there is nothing wrong with my internet i test 1000 / 500 mbit just fine, and all other pages load normally, but youtube,,,,, just gone

Okay i have been screaming none stop at my computer for a while, and it now seem back to normal, now i just have to get rid of the people in black and white with multicolour light on their cars, that is amassed down on the street. :)

Long time since I used Windows, but it used to be you needed Windows Media Player Classic Black Edition for 4K video. As for VLC, I do not think it installs with best 4k options installed so you need to Google 'VLC 4K Settings' or similar. I presume you are using a monitor and video card/gpu that will properly display 4K video.

Long time since I used Windows, but it used to be you needed Windows Media Player Classic Black Edition for 4K video. As for VLC, I do not think it installs with best 4k options installed so you need to Google 'VLC 4K Settings' or similar. I presume you are using a monitor and video card/gpu that will properly display 4K video.
I'm looking at it on either Windows laptop Razer Book or on my Mac mini M1 8GB ram model. None of them have discreet GPU's but I don't see how those computers not enough to see licence plates. It plays and edit's 4K video with no stutter on my Mac

Here is a link to a video in question on Wetransfer please look at licence plates on upcoming traffic when traveling at around 40 miles or faster, you can't make out licence plates. When slower than 40 miles seems to be OK.

Let me know what you think.

Was HDR on or off? I think it has be on during the day to get the high speed capture.

Here is a link to a video in question on Wetransfer please look at licence plates on upcoming traffic when traveling at around 40 miles or faster, you can't make out licence plates. When slower than 40 miles seems to be OK.

Let me know what you think.
The first thing you need to do is lower the lens so that the sky and the earth are 50/50%

Back