Licence plate readability, is this normal?

There have been cases where people did not notice the protective film inside the CPL filter and complained about poor video quality.
Went to the car to take the CPL off and to reset the camera to defaults and can confirm there was no protective film left on the CPL or the camera lens.

Hi,

I was looking back at my recording from yesterday and noticed that the upcoming traffic licence plates are unreadable at 40 Mph speeds during the day. Is this expected?

This is from a front A229 Pro at 4K at maximum bitrate recording.
Hi,

I was looking back at my recording from yesterday and noticed that the upcoming traffic licence plates are unreadable at 40 Mph speeds during the day. Is this expected?

This is from a front A229 Pro at 4K at maximum bitrate recording.
1725381868134.png

1725382082900.png

I think this would be about the same distance as you posted. Not brilliant, but legible

Went to the car to take the CPL off and to reset the camera to defaults and can confirm there was no protective film left on the CPL or the camera lens.
Contact Viofo support:
Send them video samples. Let them analyze it.
It may be a problem with your particular instance.

I think this would be about the same distance as you posted. Not brilliant, but legible
I didn't mean cars that going the same direction, the licence plates visible no issues on those. The issue is reading licence plate on the cars on upcoming traffic (going opposite direction as you) because the speed doubles then me going 40mph + upcoming car at around 40mph = to stop frame at 80mph if you know what I mean.

OK, I think I found the offender of the blurry licence plates. And the winner is a CPL filter! Unless the reset did something because I took off CPL and did the reset at the same time.
Here is the recording without the CPL filter and even at speeds over 40mph you can read licence plates :joyful: although I'm bit sad now that I have to look at my dash reflection on my windscreen :(
I hope it's defective CPL and it can be replaced and perform as expected. I will also try again tomorrow with CPL ON since I did the reset too just to confirm.

OK, I think I found the offender of the blurry licence plates. And the winner is a CPL filter! Unless the reset did something because I took off CPL and did the reset at the same time.
Here is the recording without the CPL filter and even at speeds over 40mph you can read licence plates :joyful: although I'm bit sad now that I have to look at my dash reflection on my windscreen :(
I hope it's defective CPL and it can be replaced and perform as expected. I will also try again tomorrow with CPL ON since I did the reset too just to confirm.

Did you match up the two white hash marks on the lens and CPL?

Try resetting the settings to factory defaults and setting everything up again.

There have been cases where people did not notice the protective film inside the CPL filter and complained about poor video quality.

I am one of those idiots that forgot to pull the protective film from the lens. Took me nearly two days to discover my stupidity. :shame:

Did you match up the two white hash marks on the lens and CPL?
Yes, I did. The only thing that the filter was very tight to get on, I read in the other posts people had the same experience with A229 Pro and CPL hard to put on.

Yep, I was afraid I was going to break something whilst putting the CPL on. After a few removal and replacements it does get a little easier.

I have a love - hate relationship with a CPL. My dash is flat black, but reflective and it does show up in the videos if no CPL. If I use a CPL I usually go to a positive exposure. HDR is on a timer for 8 pm to 7 am.

I am one of those idiots that forgot to pull the protective film from the lens. Took me nearly two days to discover my stupidity. :shame:
There was a protective film on the from of the CPL filter that I took off initially while installing the camera. Also when I took filter off today I double checked both sides with the nail to make sure there is no other film on either side.
Maybe some one from the manufacturing plaid a joke and put the white alignment line in the wrong place on my filter :unsure:

I hope it's defective CPL
This is unlikely. Far more likely that it was due to a difference in lighting, you are driving at 6PM, so on darker days there will not be a lot of light for catching faster license plates. Do check it again with the CPL On in bright/sunny weather.

Maybe some one from the manufacturing plaid a joke and put the white alignment line in the wrong place on my filter :unsure:
If the white lines were wrong then it would not remove the reflections from the centre of the image.

This is unlikely. Far more likely that it was due to a difference in lighting, you are driving at 6PM, so on darker days there will not be a lot of light for catching faster license plates. Do check it again with the CPL On in bright/sunny weather.
Hmm, not sure about that because it was cloudy on both days when I tested it and with CPL I couldn't read the plates and without it even in the evening today I could. I will try it again with the filter. Does it matter how far in the filter is pushed? As I mentioned it was hard to put it on and I had to force it on not sure how far it suppose to go in.

If the white lines were wrong then it would not remove the reflections from the centre of the image.
I guess this makes sense.

Does it matter how far in the filter is pushed?
No, if it is not far enough, the only effects are that it might fall off, and there may be dark corners on the image. If you use 21:9 aspect ratio then it is very unlikely that you will get dark corners, more possible with 16:9.

Hmm, not sure about that because it was cloudy on both days when I tested it and with CPL
Yes, I noticed that, but there was not the same light level. It is very hard to judge light levels without a light meter, both in reality and from video, there can be quite big differences at that time of day, without it being obvious. That is the most likely main difference between the two, not the presence or not of the CPL, although that does make some difference.

I do doubt that there is a problem with the CPL.

With 2 or 3 channel recording, the maximum resolution setting of the A229 Pro's front camera drops to 2160x1080, so not 4K.
Having said this, I checked some single channel 4K footage from my A229 Pro, but number plates of oncoming traffic are still illegible..

With 2 or 3 channel recording, the maximum resolution setting of the A229 Pro's front camera drops to 2160x1080, so not 4K.
Having said this, I checked some single channel 4K footage from my A229 Pro, but number plates of oncoming traffic are still illegible..
Depending on your configuration resolution is as follows:

1CH front only 4K (you can set it to 4K or 2K or FHD)
2CH front and rear - Front 4K + Rear 2K
3CH front, rear and interior - Front 4K + Rear 2K + Interior FHD (1080)

So I assume you had only the front and interior camera connected hence the 4K + FHD resolutions?
As @Karagandinez mentioned front can always be set to 4K don't matter how many channels you have connected.

Depending on your configuration resolution is as follows:

1CH front only 4K (you can set it to 4K or 2K or FHD)
2CH front and rear - Front 4K + Rear 2K
3CH front, rear and interior - Front 4K + Rear 2K + Interior FHD (1080)

So I assume you had only the front and interior camera connected hence the 4K + FHD resolutions?
As @Karagandinez mentioned front can always be set to 4K don't matter how many channels you have connected.
Not what the user manual says, and when I connect phone to camera, the option to set at 4K is missing when a second camera is connected. What am I misunderstanding?

1725445415677.jpeg

Not what the user manual says, and when I connect phone to camera, the option to set at 4K is missing when a second camera is connected. What am I misunderstanding?

View attachment 73779
You don't understand that 2160P is 4K, that is, 3840x2160P.
And if you look at the instructions, then in all four points there is a resolution: 3840x2160P

Back