LiFePO4 Replacement

mentadent

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
VIOFO A139, VIOFO A139 Pro, VIOFO A119 Mini 2, VIOFO A229...
Could this replace a car battery?

Yes, but there are a few issues, such as:

It will not charge below freezing.

It will cut power below -10C.

Maximum discharge current is a little low, probably OK for a small car, but if it cuts power at the limit then you could maybe lose power when starting the engine, maybe only if you also have the lights on!

So, depends on what you need, but for general use as a car starter battery, not recommended.
As an auxiliary battery then fine...

yeah just 100 A cold crank power, thats less than half of most batteries today i think.
I would not dare to go there even if my car are almost micro.

yeah, you do not want to put the tongue on the poles of a car battery like you can do with a 9 volt battery, that would be way more than uncomfortable.

yeah just 100 A cold crank power, thats less than half of most batteries today i think.
I would not dare to go there even if my car are almost micro.
You don't need as many amps from a lithium battery because they give much less voltage drop at high loads, so 100A gives more power than it does from a lead acid battery. Most starter motors are a little over 1 KW, so 100A is just enough, but it may depend on how fast it cuts off on overload, if you get a couple of seconds at 110A before cutoff then it will work fine in most vehicles.

My guess is that this battery is designed to work in cars, so will be fine, but maybe only designed for race cars where it won't be doing much more than turning the starter, and not charging on cold days doesn't matter.

As a starter battery this will not work as the BMS will cut off the power when it senses a high current output.
Winter charging will not be a problem if you use a DC-DV charger like the Votronic which will charge at 5A at temperatures under 0° C.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Winter charging will not be a problem if you use a DC-DV charger like the Votronic which will charge at 5A at temperatures under 0° C.
Except it says that the battery BMS will cut the charging when below freezing.

Back