Light Bulb Idea!

Much worse than that is coming, with increasing numbers of dashcams, like Megtech's new K2S, communicating with the car's engine control unit via the ODB port, the hackers will be able to take control of your car and take you on a terrifying joy ride ending with you crashing over a 1000 foot high cliff and into the sea, or maybe using your car with you in the driving seat for terrorist purposes where you drive at high speed through a crowded shopping street with the hackers in control!

:panda:

They might release a firmware update for that [emoji14]

Seriously though there has been some cases of connected cars being compromised and while currently what they are able to do has its limits it is something that could have wider implications if it were something like a Tesla that has some sort of self driving capabilities, perhaps an even bigger risk if (or when) autonomous vehicles become a reality

Much worse than that is coming, with increasing numbers of dashcams, like Megtech's new K2S, communicating with the car's engine control unit via the ODB port, the hackers will be able to take control of your car and take you on a terrifying joy ride ending with you crashing over a 1000 foot high cliff and into the sea, or maybe using your car with you in the driving seat for terrorist purposes where you drive at high speed through a crowded shopping street with the hackers in control!

:panda:

WOW! And hackers will do it just to snag the dash cam footage for YouTube. Think of all the hits it could generate! :jawdrop:

Remember two years ago when it was demonstrated that one could gain access to control of an airliner?
They might release a firmware update for that [emoji14]

Seriously though there has been some cases of connected cars being compromised and while currently what they are able to do has its limits it is something that could have wider implications if it were something like a Tesla that has some sort of self driving capabilities, perhaps an even bigger risk if (or when) autonomous vehicles become a reality

Remember this one?

Boeing 757 controls hacked remotely while on the runway, officials reveal

Yes but if the camera are easy to get into, couldn't a black hat guy leave something nasty there, that get onto your other network when you connect to the camera.
The NEST cctv cameras seem to be just bleeding more or less personal footage to outsiders.

that article is scary. if they break into the nest cam cloud they can review a month worth of videos and audio, scary. I guess the answer as per the article, is to use two-factor authentication to prevent anyone connecting to someones account. I wonder if that is secure enough...

Last edited:
With the Nest camera issue it's much more likely their account was compromised and they re-used credentials on the Nest site and didn't have the 2FA activated. Credentials are getting harvested constantly and reused elsewhere - for example look how many stolen Spotify and Tidal accounts are on offer on eBay these days.

There are still hundreds of thousands of devices misconfigured on the internet that are easily accessible (if not millions). Unfortunately security wasn't high on the list of priorities on a lot of cheap IoT devices.

Just a couple of weeks ago on one of the local FB groups someone put up a screenshot of a guy being naughty in a garage and it had half the URL - a couple of quick guesses later and I was logged in as admin with full control over their CCTV system. They seemed shocked when I dropped them a message as they'd paid for a 'professional' install which was essentially stuff installed all on default settings.

As for the dashcam side, a lot of the Amba cams used to let you easily connect to another WiFi AP - if it was broadcasting on it's own SSID and you got on and found a management screen to download that file you'd have the plaintext password of the AP it was configured to connect too.

A lot of devices you just need the right clip and you can dump the EEPROM easily for later investigation or like @Tobi@s does a soldering iron and get a console and you can see a lot more what goes in inside the various hardware out there.

Credentials are getting harvested constantly and reused elsewhere - for example look how many stolen Spotify and Tidal accounts are on offer on eBay these days.

You can buy credentials on eBay? Really?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

a guy being naughty in a garage

Funny you should write that, just been watching a program on peter Lundin, that first served 7 of a 15 year sentence in the US for killing his mother there when he was 19, and sadly he was born here so they shipped him here.
Where he killed his girlfriend and 2 of her 3 children and cut them up in a garage using a axe and a angle grinder, pretty much turning the garage into a slaughterhouse.

Here he lay down the style during a interview with Danish media when he was in a US prison,,,,,, that's one sick puppy.
That guy never had anything that even resemble a light bulb moment.

13410-lundin-griner-i-fngslet--.jpg

Funny you should write that...
So next time you are chopping up children with your Viking axe in your garage, it is probably a good idea to leave your car with it's wifi dashcam outside and shut the garage door ;)

I have the entire row of garages in the back yeard on CCTV, but only one are in daily use.
But i cant get closeups as my PTZ camera fell off the door and died :cry:

So next time you are chopping up children with your Viking axe in your garage, it is probably a good idea to leave your car with it's wifi dashcam outside and shut the garage door ;)

Dang, I thought washing the car was enough. Going now to yank the card and format it :eek::ROFLMAO: Seriously though, there is no perfect security online and even less with wireless. While I don't think an OBD powered dashcam could be used to take control of a car, the vids on the cam and it's functioning could be compromised and rather easily in many cases. Those who use the cam as a monitior or who keep the wifi turned on constantly take the biggest risks, but so far I'm unaware of anyone having problems yet. But I'm sure it will happen, and it will probably gain momentum via script kiddies playing around but not doing deep damage. I'm already concerned about SD damage or corruption in a crash so to me anyway it's just plain smart to keep the wifi off on your primary cam(s) to lessen the chances of losing a needed vid.

I'm with Kamkar1 on being quite disconnected but not being a luddite. Technology is good and has it's place but when it's not absolutely necessary it is probably best avoided. Keep your head down as low profiles are the hardest to spot, target, and hit ;)

Phil

I want to provide an update. Using a TP Link RE 305 extender, I tried my idea out. When connected, my idea worked well as I could get a live view of the cam much further away from the vehicle. However, I ran into the following problems:

1. Give one cannot have two different SSIDs i.e. the cam has one and the extender needs to use the same for the host (cam) and the extender, it caused some confusion when you walk to within the range of the cam. In other words, the app got confused on which to connect to and resulted in a non instant connection. If the app could be modified to accept a different SSID it would help a lot.
  2. The cam gets very warm when WIFI is on all the time so leaving it on constantly to enable remove live view can shorten the life of the electronics IMO.
  3. Performance when connected was great but getting a connection with the extender was erratic, more so than without it.

I could try a more powerful extender but decided the always on option is not what I want for the cam so punt on the whole idea for know.

If you have some ideas or feedback, share it with us!

Reactions: Mtz
Back