looking for a capacitor for blackvue 650gw-2ch

would be fine with that if the firmware and hardware is designed with capacitor use in mind

Interesting. I always thought lower rated farad capacitors in the Mobius were because it made less of a demand on the power source so smaller ones could be used that fit inside the case. So why do we always see larger caps in other cameras?

what size will have a lot to do with the hardware design, larger caps could mean more reserve power but that's not all good as they take longer to charge, models with larger caps are generally slower to start recording as they need to charge the caps first, some of the products you see with caps were never designed with caps in mind it was something that was added later so the approach is a bit different I guess

If Mobius capacitors do not work with G1WH, I will use them to convert an A118 to A118C with suitable firmware. ;)

Please report your results flashing the A118 with A118C firmware after installing super-caps.

it should work ok, the initial prototypes were just battery versions converted to caps and the firmware change, it doesn't have the RTC button cell on the battery version PCB but will probably still hold time and date for a while

it should work ok, the initial prototypes were just battery versions converted to caps and the firmware change, it doesn't have the RTC button cell on the battery version PCB but will probably still hold time and date for a while

It should, but I still wanna' hear from @chris-s what actually happens after he gets the whole thing flashed and all put together. :)

It should, but I still wanna' hear from @chris-s what actually happens after he gets the whole thing flashed and all put together. :)

I've seen people that have used the capacitor version firmware on the battery version hardware when the batteries start to fail and working ok, the PCB's are different but the changes are minimal on this model

I've seen people that have used the capacitor version firmware on the battery version hardware when the batteries start to fail and working ok, the PCB's are different but the changes are minimal on this model

That all sounds cool. I'm glad it's possible to do that.

I'm still contemplating your suggestion from a while back to try flashing my GT680W with G1w-C firmware just to see what happens but so far all I've done is procure the firmware. The camera just sits useless in a box at the moment but one of these days I'll install another battery instead of the caps that are in it now or I'll throw caution to the wind and try the firmware.

that's one I'm not so sure about, don't know how similar the hardware is

I forgot where that post is but trying it was your idea as I recall. :D You said it might work because the hardware was similar enough but button functionality could end up being whacky.

Hi all !
I would like to replace the supercap of my. 750S.
It's a STARCAP 5.4V 3.5F.
I only can find 5.5V 3.5F on Aliexpress. There is no 5.4V.
May I use 5.5V instead of 5.4V ?
There is also written 65°C on the original capacitor, but I can't find this information on Aliexpress items

Last edited:
Hi all !
I would like to replace the supercap of my. 750S.
It's a STARCAP 5.4V 3.5F.
I only can find 5.5V 3.5F on Aliexpress. There is no 5.4V.
May I use 5.5V instead of 5.4V ?
There is also written 65°C on the original capacitor, but I can't find this information on Aliexpress items

Try eBay or an electronics supplier such as Mouser. I assume there must be some similar electronic component suppliers available to you in France. Some suppliers will ship small orders. Mouser might even ship internationally, but I don't know.

The voltage difference won't matter. The usual max temp for supercaps is around 65C so that too shouldn't be a problem. Dimensional size it the usual issue when replacing caps or batteries in dashcams as they're usually tightly fitted with no room for bigger in length or diameter so check that carefully before ordering.

Phil

I found a supercap that I have ordered for my G1W and never used.
After replacement, the dashcam do not sarts up. Same with old cap. I don't know what I've done wrong but now the dashcam is dead.

Back