Looking for a recommendation for 1st dash cam on new car.....

tsouzee

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone, I have been reviewing this forum for quite a while now. To be honest, I'm totally new at this and the more I research the more confused I get. I'm picking up a new car soon and am looking to install a dash cam from the start (I would like front & rear but I guess I can start with just a front one and see how it goes). This is what I need/prefer:

- Reliability (I do not need wi-fi or screens or GPS, but need a reliable camera to work. I have no issue pulling the camera to replay any video if needed).
- Audio (definitely a plus).
- Video while I'm parked (my current car has been hit 3 times in the last 4 years while parked, costing thousands of dollars in damage. I am worried about battery drain though. I only drive about 4-7 hours per week, and at night I'm parked in a garage, so not sure how I can set this up optimally. Also, where I live there are many cars and people that go by so not sure if I will drain the battery from all the movement. The summers here do get hot but it's only a couple of months out of the year).
- Clarity of license plates (too many close calls in NYC).

That's pretty much it. Once I can find a good camera to work for me I can then research on installation and other details. If I can stay under $250 that would be great but willing to pay more for a good quality camera. Thanks so much in advance.

Back