New to group, looking for recommendation

Nukedaddy

Reaction score
Country
United States
I drive a regular 2 door pickup and want a dual dashcam with GPS.
I have an aftermarket backup camera connected to an aftermarket double DIN radio with 6" screen. I keep a medium capacity Android tablet on a snake mount fastened to the floor for GPS.

I want to add a dashcam with high res forward, parking and G force accident monitoring. Also a camera for inside the cab with wide enough angle and audio for passenger, driver and cops or robbers outsider either door.
And I want the camera to continuously record my speed and direction matched to the front camera video. Actually, I would REALLY like a separate split screen image with the front camera showing the car location on a map with a graph showing my truck's speed for the last 5 minutes or so. A graph that could be expanded to fully prove FULL stops, rate of acceleration and braking would be great, too.
And while I'm dreaming, a timestamp button for the driver to tap that might show when he sees police lights or hears sirens or spots the alien mothership.

So... Can anyone suggest a device to fit the bill?

Welcome to the forum Nukedaddy.

You can get 2 channel systems where the one are a cabin camera and not a rear camera, we often refer to these as Uber cameras or taxi cameras.
But the rear camera are not really wide enough to get a good shot at whoever turn up at either dot, even if the cabin are covered fine.

Here is a example of a couple of cameras i have tested in this category, i am focusing on the cabin as the front cameras are all okay fine.

First off my favorite, it is a 3 channel i have so both cabin + rear camera, but as i recall it can be had with just 2 cameras, and the #2 can be either the interior camera with IR light for when it is dark, or the regular rear camera.
It is the viofo A139, which have the advantage that the interior camera are on a wire too, so you can place it anywhere along the top of the windscreen, but of course if windows are on your agerand it have to be in the middle to get both.
In my car i have the interior camera mounted on the mirror stalk, so it is just offset 1" from dead center.

There is a short glimpse in the middle of this video demoing plate capture properties, so be ready to hit pause there to study the view of the cabin in my small 5 door hatchback.

A inboxing video of the same camera.

Another camera i tried was the Blueskysea B2W, it is a 2 in one style meaning both lenses are in the one unit that go on the windscreen, this kind of design mean things like a mirror can be in the cay of the interior camera.
I removed my mirror for the months i tested it.

I captured a full blown accident right in front of me on the B2W.

And some day plate capture and night footage.

The GPS cameras will record your speed and you can choose to embed that in the video or not, to see this meta date along with the footage you need a dedicated dashcam player software, this can most often show all cameras and route on a map.
You will not get a fancy route overlaid on the actual video like you see some people do with action cameras.
The speed are there all the time, not that any court would use it, they would use the video and 2 items along the road they can measure the distance in between. and then use the time in the video it took you to cover that distance, and then extrapolate up to your MPH speed.
There are no cameras that directly indicate brake or other things like that, some have tried to tap into the OBD port for that kind of information, but it seem like cars all talk different dialects there so often things are missing, but it would be cool if it worked, but i have not seen that yet.

All dashcams have a manual event button you can press to save little or big things to save, the problem is how the camera handle that order.
Some have a small seconds long buffer, so you have to be fast on the event button, but others now deal in the segments you record instead, so if you use 3 minute long segments the camera would save 1 or some even 2 3 minute files from each camera in the system.
The 1 file seem to just lock the 1 current file being recorded, the 2 file types save either the previous or the next file depending where you are in the current file.

The A139 right now is a 1 segment camera, so it will lock the one file from all cameras in the system
Most street guardian cameras are 2 segment type, so say i am 1 minute into the current segment when i press the button, that will mean the camera lock the previous 3 minute file + the current one being made, and so i get 4 minutes from before the event, and 2 minutes after ( 2 X 3 minutes in total ) and that is for each camera in the system, so it it is a dual channel system you get four 3 minute files locked, two from each camera.
I like the 2 segment type, cuz it mean you do not at all have to rush to the event button to actually get the event itself locked, you can light a ciggy or pull over, and then press the button, and chance are the event itself are there locked away in the RO folder ( Read Only ) safe from the camera deleting it if the memory card fill up.

The cameras that only have a "seconds" buffer for events, those i would only treat the event files as "beacons" to where something happned, which id also fine of you have a adequate sized memory card, and you shjould at least have 64GB of memory card space for each camera in a system, 128GB even better, a larger memory card also mean less wear on the card as it take longer to fill up, and memory card life are measured in full read / write cycles, so a smaller card would burn thru cycles faster.

Though not at today's highest resolution levels, the B2W 'rideshare' cam could be another good option for you. It's rotatable lenses can cover every direction (but not all at once) and with a standard cab pick-up would give you good rear coverage too in a single unit. You'd need the optional hardwire kit for parking use, same as with most cams, and you'd also need the optional GPS module. The form factor is unusual and may not fit well with sensor pods at the mirror, but it tucks away nicely if there's enough space, is a reliable cam, and offers good value for the price. The lens aimability is what sets this cam apart.

The A129 Duo IR might also interest you, but same as with the A139 cabin cam aimability is limited to up-and-down aiming which is the case with nearly all the 'rideshare' cams and multi-channel cams with a cabin cam. You get similar aiming restrictions with almost all 2-channel cams as well; very few can rotate to the sides on their mount.

You could also buy a good cam for driving and parking, then add a small cheaper cam like the B2K or the DR 05 Mini to handle aiming to the sides as needed. All these cams have forums here where you can find info on them and video links to see what each can do. They're also covered in the reviews listed under the home page here. There's a good cam for almost everyone out there. They may not have every feature you want but you can certainly get most of them :cool:

Phil

Back