Looking for Dashcam that mounts on the "dash" not window

Thanks, more options to think about.

My daily ride to work and back is fairly short, about 13-15 mins, so I am going to use a easy, quick solution whatever I chose. I only have my GPS installed when I am actually driving and will do the same with the Mobius. I only physically go into work two times a week and telecommute the rest of the time.

For a longer trip, like next month, about 14 hours each way, I will use a better more complex solution which positions the camera better.

The Mobius has a nice wide view which will make positioning easier.

I'm gong to work tomorrow and will just use some strong Velcro for the first short trip to work and just use the internal battery.

Will start to play with other options after the capacitor battery replacement is here. I also have a right angle 6ft cable coming in.

So I played with my toy today on my trip to work. Simple velcro to the top of the dash. Dirty window and all so not optimal, but it gave me a really good idea of what could be.

Cut a clip of it with sound off.

A bit too low, dirty windscreen as mentioned but not bad. Rest of the stuff shows up tomorrow and I will most likely set up other options later this week or this weekend.

Getting the camera up 3-4 inches or so would be better i think.

Have another look at the photo in this earlier post from this thread.

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...nts-on-the-dash-not-window.27280/#post-318211

Have adhesive dash disks already and will have a suction mount here tomorrow. That will be my first real install test. I need to be able to remove it and the GPS I use when I leave the vehicle each time. That will raise is more than likely enough.

Forgot, have to get the servants to clean the truck and keep the windshield clean and sparkly...

Found out last night that my capacitor order was lost. Cute. Had to reorder it.

I also ordered a quick disconnect mount and an extender to give it some height.

The quick release means it will be easy to mount and unmount keeping the position the same. It comes with 2 bases. I wouldn't need to use a disk on it as it would mount directly to the dash top.
tCUeRURm.png

PIY7096m.png

Found that the screw on top of this mount is a bit too long. This means if you attach the Mobius to this directly it won't lock tight and easily spins even when the screw is tight.

So an extender to allow adjustment of the position and locking the sections together so they don't move around once configured. Also adds some height.
RTHnqTIm.png

So by this weekend, I will have a couple different mounting solutions to try and figure out without spending a lot of money on it.

Last edited:
Well all of the parts that I plan on using for mounting arrived. So I am able to connect them up to see how they connect, how well they can stay fixed in place (not need adjustment each time it is used) etc..

I have not installed in the truck yet as I need to remove an older GPS mount where this will mount, so pics of it on my work desk.

All the mount pieces connected
xH97FmL.png

Side view showing each of the sections
aUik0oH.png

So basically there are three sections.

Base
The base has two parts. One part sticks to the top of the dash and the other part is a quick attach to the base with a 1/4" screw on the top of it. It does not have any adjustment side to side or front to back. The detachable part is easy to do and locks really tight and fixed the same way each time.

Center with Ball Joint
The center part is about 3" in height and has some weight to it. The bottom screws into the detachable base part and is tight and doesn't move. The top section of this part has a ball joint which adjusts in all directions and locks tight once you have it positioned where you want it. And the very top has a screen with a lock ring where the camera can connect to it. It also can lock tight and not move around. The weight of this part helps keep the center of mass on the entire bundle low to the bottom of the package.

Mobius in Base with 1/4" screw
This screws into the center section and also locks tight and does not move.

The combined mount with the Mobius will allow a quick attach and removal while at the same time keeping the position the same each time so that I don't have to adjust it each time I use it.

Since I remove the GPS each time I leave the vehicle, I can now do the same with the Mobius and installing them before I drive is pretty easy.

The capacitor arrived today as well, but I am going to put off installing until I have a longer trip coming up. This way I can just use the internal battery for the very short drives I do now and not even bother to plug in the power to the camera.

Once I get this bundle actually installed in the truck I will take some pics and post it in the how I mounted thread.

I am looking for a container for the "bundle" when I remove it. I have a case for the GPS already. Might use a bag or perhaps a hard side box of some sort, not sure yet.

Last edited:
Solution for storage when not using the Mobius. I got a Pelican 1010 case which holds the combined Mobius, extender and base. A short USB cable and the OTG adapter as well.

Case closed:
foAtIonm.png

Case opened:
U4ZckVhm.png

Also obtained an Viofo A119 as well the other day. Did a test drive the other day with a temp mount on the dash, dirty windshield. It was about 108F at the time of the drive. This is mounted on the dash, so the video is flipped in the camera configuration.

Currently contemplating mounting this up by the rear view mirror as a perm installation unlike the Mobius. I like this because it has a GPS.

The A119 has a CPL filter installed on it.

Video created using Movavi Video Editor from raw files which were edited. Sound removed.

Last edited:
Heads up gang. Mounting on the dash sometimes means just using something sticky to hold it down. The dashcam can become a projectile in a car crash and may hurt you or your passengers. Just a heads up when securing the units anywhere in your vehicle.

Heads up gang. Mounting on the dash sometimes means just using something sticky to hold it down. The dashcam can become a projectile in a car crash and may hurt you or your passengers. Just a heads up when securing the units anywhere in your vehicle.
That would be true for a lot of stuff in a vehicle in case of a crash. One common thing you see in Dashcam crash videos is the dashcam (most often mounted on the windshield) goes flying in a lot of them. So even mounted up on the windshield it is still an issue plus it is mounted on glass.

Back