Looking to buy Mini 0806

clicketyclack

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi All,

Been a long time lurker and I finally registered as I'm looking to buy the Mini 0806 as my first dash cam. I plan on getting a hardwire kit and a fuse tap too for a clean install.

I saw a few comments about the first batch having some issues with the base and GPS. Collecting speed and position is a solid requirement for me. Anybody know if the second batch should have those issues corrected?

A couple of the e-stores mentioned on here seem to be out of stock too. Is it safe to assume that this first batch has been sold out? Anybody know when more will arrive?

Focus issue has nothing to do with the batch, it's a manual process so it could happen with any unit.

I know that GearBest has confirmed that they are now selling the second.

Thanks that's one of the sites I've been watching. Looks like it comes with a CPL filter too.

I'll probably just use eBay to source individual parts for hardwiring. I've only seen a few complete kits, such as these, but you can order all the parts individually off eBay for half that price, and with free shipping. I'm not in any rush. :)

Focus issue has nothing to do with the batch, it's a manual process so it could happen with any unit.
True yet the manufacturer pointed out a known issue in batch 1 and more attention given to batch 2

You definitely want to buy the second batch. They fixed a few issues, including the focus problems. I know that GearBest has confirmed that they are now selling the second. Contact Sunny (https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/gearbest-special-customer-service-on-dct.9553/#post-118176), right now there is coupon "MN86LG" and sale making it $119 .

BTW there is a drawing for a free ONEPLUS ONE Phablet

The "G2015" code made it a bit cheaper than "MN86LG" when I ordered yesterday.
http://www.gearbest.com/m-promotion-active-126.html

US$122.47 (including the US$9.47 expedited shipping to Oz)

There seems to be a few codes around at the moment. It is worth trying them all to see which saves the most.

Last edited:
There seems to be a few codes around at the moment. It is worth trying them all to see which saves the most.

Thanks for the tips!

I'm still trying to figure out how to pull off the trim panneling on the A-pillar without damaging it so I can route the cable down it. Never done that before! After I figure it out I should be done planning for the install and will actually order everything.

Thanks for the tips!

I'm still trying to figure out how to pull off the trim panneling on the A-pillar without damaging it so I can route the cable down it. Never done that before! After I figure it out I should be done planning for the install and will actually order everything.
No need to remove it, just stuff it in gently.

No need to remove it, just stuff it in gently.

I ended up pulling it off and managed not to break any clips, but for the ceiling and everything else I will just stuff it!

It is worth trying them all to see which saves the most.

After finalizing my car install plan, I ended up purchasing from GearBest and got the Mini 0806 for $113 with coupon code G2015. Free shipping included. Thanks for the tips!

However, I'm going to digress for a moment because this was my first time using GearBest and it wasn't a comfortable experience.

Before I could even try any coupon codes it told me I had to create an account, so I didn't even know if they were going to work or not without giving out an email address. Then, when I applied the coupon codes the price mysteriously jumped from $119.99 to $125, which seemed pretty screwy. I was about to drop it there, but decided to continue.

Unfortunately, after paying through PayPal, my shipping information was then sent back to GearBest over a non-HTTPS connection in order to complete the purchase process. While it looked like most of the order process was over HTTPS, and I was using PayPal, it's 2015 -- ANYTHING dealing with personal information or financial transactions needs to be secure.

Finally, their APO and PO Box shipping info needs clarification. They say they can ship to these addresses, but only if it's under a certain weight? I guess I'll wait and see what happens. I've spent the last 10 years living in 6 different countries on 4 different continents, spending more than a year in each country. I'm no stranger to internet shopping and I'm quite aware of the complexities of international shipping. For an import/export business that deals with this every day, I think their shipping information could be more clear.

Overall, while using GearBest wasn't too painful, there certainly were some red flags (no pun intended) raised in the process, which certainly could use some polish.

Now, to get back on topic. I also ordered an EDO Ultra Compact 5V USB Direct Hardwire Adapter Kit for $13 and a Mini Blade Fuse Holder Tap with 5 A fuse for $6, both off eBay and both with no extra shipping charges. Total was under $21, even with the overpriced fuse tap.

The hardwire kit includes a standard female USB A socket so you can use any USB cable of the appropriate length for your installation. There are a ton of different USB hardwire kits available, but they all seem to have short USB cables, and to route from my car's mirror around and down to the fuse box under the driver's dash requires about 6 feet of cable, which was longer than any kit provided that I looked at. This specific kit actually comes with an extra Mini USB cable.

If anyone else decides to do their own hardwire install like this, don't forget a crimp-on ring/spade terminal to securely attach the black wire from the USB transformer to ground somewhere on the car chasis. I found one lying around in my electric parts junk box but they only cost a few pennies and provide a much better connection to a screw on the chasis than simply attaching bare wire to the chasis in any of the numerous "unprofessional" ways possible.

I'm also going to use a 64 GB Class 10 SanDisk MicroSD I recently purchased off Amazon for $33. So the tally so far for this project will be:

Mini 0806 dash cam: $113
12V to 5V USB transformer hardwire kit: $13
Fuse holder tap with fuse: $6
Crimp on ring terminal: $0 (scrap)
USB A male to Micro USB male cable: $0 (spare)
64 GB MicroSD card: $33
Total: USD $165

I'll follow up once I get everything and assemble my notes after installing!

Sorry for bumping a (now) old post.

I finally received my Mini 0806 from GearBest a few weeks ago, but haven't had much time to play with it.

The car hardwire installation went well, and I was able to plug it in and drive around with it a little bit, but I can't seem to get the GPS to work at all. It doesn't save any GPS or speed data on the video stamping overlays, in closed captions, or on any files if it supposed to. The GPS light also never comes on. I went through every setting and trippled checked to see that I do have GPS enabled.

Since the big feature I wanted was GPS, I'm pretty disapointed. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears.

What car are you driving and does it have a heated front windscreen because I am led to believe this can cause problems with GPS, and I assume you have the mount stuck to the windscreen and not the rearview mirror?

Certainly from my own experience my 0806 locks onto a valid GPS signal within a minute so something isn't right with your setup.

No front heated windshield. I've sat it out on my patio for over an hour with the base sticking up and oriented as if it was installed on the windshield and still nothing. Looks like I have the latest firmware too.

GPS wires torn off the board when rotating the camera is a common complaint, there's some instructions here already about how to check that and possibly repair if needed and you're up for it

I'm good with fixing it if that's the problem. I haven't gotten a chance to open up the base but I do remember there being 4 small screws. Can you point me to the instructions?

I'm good with fixing it if that's the problem. I haven't gotten a chance to open up the base but I do remember there being 4 small screws. Can you point me to the instructions?

@Nigel could probably point you to the exact post you need if you can't find it, he's the resident source for all things 0806

Back