Loop length versus continuous length and overwrite

Philxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a SG9665GC with 128GB memory card. Quality is excellent. Fuss-free. Does what it says on the tine. No probs. BUT... I want it to record continuously, all day, all night, every day, every night, engine on or off. I understand that with 128GB it could hold about 16 hours or so of video and I just want it to record 16 hours and then start again - forever, round and round and round and round and... I am getting confused about several things here. Firstly, the cigarette lighter socket the thing is plugged into NEVER goes off, so how does it know to "start when the engine starts" ??? If it is using motion detection to tell when I start driving then presumably it will never start if I turn motion detection off ? If I turn motion detection off will that put it into record-forever mode or stop it ever recording ? What is all this "1,3,5 minute loops" stuff - why would that be any use to anyone ? Does it mean that in the old days when memory size was smaller, it would fill your card in around 1,3,5 minutes and go round to fill the whole chip again ? If I chose 3 minute loop mode, is that what it would do even with my 128GB card - only use 3 minute's worth of memory and then overwrite what it just recorded, that seems a bit daft! ?? Is there any simple way I can just tell this gadget to start recording, fill up 128Gb and then start replacing the oldest data to keep going and never stop until I press the power-off button ?

If your cigarette lighter port is always on, then your camera will always be on. The camera will only shut down if you do so manually. Not recommended. Motion detection is for parking mode. Turn it off if you just want it to record all the time. Looping is the length of each recorded segment. 1 min will create 1 min clips. 3 min will create 3 min clips. They will fill the entire card, but in 1,3 or 5 min clips. Once the card is full, it will overwrite the oldest clips.

Thanks for the reply. The reason I ask is that I noticed the camera does not trigger if people walk towards the car along the pavement, in full view of the camera. (Yes, it is centred Ok). It only triggers on larger / faster moving things more in the centre of the field. This means that someone could walk straight up to my motor, round the side and kick the doors in and the camera wouldn't show anything. BTW. Why is it not recommended to leave it permanently running, surely that is exactly what would be the case if the car was parked in a busy road (day and night) with motion detect selected.

Yes, if you parked your car in a busy area and have parking mode enabled with motion detection, it will be constantly recording. Any dash camera left to record 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, will more than likely meet its maker earlier than if you set up the camera to turn on and off with the car and used parking mode on occasion.

At home i prefer to have a IP camera aimed at my car where its parked, i kinda have to do that as it is in a dark back yard so dashcams would only record darkness.

But my 1080p IP camera have build in IR light, so only really strong rain or snow or heavy fog will obscure my car.

I do think i will have a hardwire setup soon, but i will only use that if i park in a place i feel nervous about, and i cant recall that ever happening, at least not lately within the short spectrum of my memory.

My old plan was to just put a USB power bank on one of my many cameras in the car, but knowing me i will proberly forget to bring the power bank.
So a permant hardwire install would be fine, just sit there untill the day i might need it.

PS. In Denmark it is unusioal that a person living in a 2 floor apartment have a ip camera on the balcony door, but it is only illigal if the camera is recording, and there is no way for ppl to tell that.

PPS. allso have a camera in the peephole on my front door, and one in the livingroom window covering the street down below.
192.168.1.100-CAM_1-2016-05-11-15-25-37.jpg

...The reason I ask is that I noticed the camera does not trigger if people walk towards the car along the pavement, in full view of the camera. (Yes, it is centred Ok). It only triggers on larger / faster moving things more in the centre of the field. This means that someone could walk straight up to my motor, round the side and kick the doors in and the camera wouldn't show anything....
Unfortunate but what you describe is the performance level of motion detection on most (not all) cameras. It's not as sensitive as you would like for what you want to be using it.

@Philxxxxxxxxxxxxx What car make / model do you have ? Not sure how long car battery will last for 24/7h always ON recording. You need to drive quite a lot per day to recharge car battery to last rest of the "parked time".
What firmware version has your SG9665GC ?

I am kind of like this guy i captured yesterday, exept i dont think i would drive a MG
limy1.jpg

And his rear plate just to prove it is indeed a Danish Anglophile.
limy2.jpg

Back