loose CPL lens

budster

Reaction score
Country
United States
I recently noticed that the lens in my CPL for the SG9665GC has "dropped" in the CPL housing.

IMG_0443.JPG

I noticed this after watching some of my dashcam videos where I thought the CPL was not working as well as I thought it should be. I'm not sure if this could be due to the gap in the lens opening.

I got the CPL when it just came out in late 2015 and the lens was easily rotatable (mine somehow was misaligned either during shipment or user error and I rotated it to the proper position using the TV/LCD monitor test). I remember reading that later versions of the CPLs would come with the lens glued to prevent this issue.

However, even though the lens was easily rotatable, I don't recall that it could ever drop down so much so that there could be a gap in the opening of the lens holder. I'm not sure if it's because the holder has expanded a little bit over time.

For now, I am using strips of duct tape on the top and bottom of the housing so that lens won't move. Not sure how this will hold up over time.

I also noticed the CPL lens has gotten a bit dirty over time as well. What's the recommended way to clean the CPL lens?

The very First SG9665Gc V1/V2 SGGCCPL batches from a year ago didn't have glue correct. I'd orientate /mount the CPL so the largest gap is on top so it can't work itself any lower. The microfiber bag included with the camera makes a good lens cleaning cloth. Just make sure it's free of any particles before using it.

FYI: The new 2017 SG9665GC V3 comes with a completely different CPL all together. (Just to prevent confusion for any new comers here)

you've had it on upside down, pop it back in place and put it on the other way and it won't move

You're right. The lens holder has openings on the top and bottom and the bigger opening should be on top. I feel very silly now. It's been a long day.

You're right. The lens holder has openings on the top and bottom and the bigger opening should be on top. I feel very silly now. It's been a long day.

don't feel silly, it's logical once pointed out but not really that obvious to begin with

Being a new guy here and yes new to dash cams as well. So Id like to apologize first if any questions I ask tests the patience of experienced individuals.

So.... For my first question. When do you use or not use the CPL? Day? Night? Driving conditions?

Back