Lukas LK-7900 Ace Review (With Sample Day and Night Videos)

Re: Lukas LK-7900 Ace Review (With Sample Day and Night Vide

Jazzist said:
I guess you'd have to mask the part where the camera goes in. I was thinking the sane last night and looking at the plastidip site (would you use the aerosol type?).

Share some photos if you do it :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Since my mount broke, I thought I'd give it a quick spray with Plastidip for you.
Camera works fine in it, but you get slight peeling on the inside on the edges when rotating the cam.

DSCN0060.JPG

Cool, didn't know it could rotate a bit in the mount :) I saw the space for it to just didn't think it actually could its so stiff, got to be rougher with it :)

Looks better black.

I think you only need to paint outside.

Sample day video from me.

Default settings except brightness which is up one notch and sound sensitivity down one notch to stop the distortion.

http://vimeo.com/66061915

Last edited by a moderator:

I thought Vimeo would be better quality than that since everyone says it's better quality than youtube.

Yea that's why I put it up there, though it isn't good at all is it.

Maybe it's still encoding? or maybe you need a pro account? I'm not sure..
I know youtube takes a few minutes to fully reach 1080

Good point.

In the original file I can see the individual heating elements in the heated windshield, that's how much better it is.

I'm testing a beta firmware from Qrontech, but I'm not allowed to share it. Hopefully, the public version will be out soon.

Cheers.

I was told the next firmware update will be made available soon. Apart from the supposed improved white balance, we can now opt to show the license plate number on the video. It looks like the feature has been added to the April 25 manual.

Swordfish said:
we can now opt to show the license plate number on the video.
Optional showing of GPS coordinates (lat/lon-values) in die video would make me purchase this camera.

It is possible to go full screen on the viewer, and return to the smaller screen.

MrEd said:
It is possible to go full screen on the viewer, and return to the smaller screen.

Press enter to go full screen and enter again to go back to normal screen. Also space bar is to pause and play.

We still can't resize the normal window to see a bigger map. Annoying.

where did you get it for $217 with power supply and filter>

Swordfish said:

It would be nice if the viewer supported multi monitors so the GPS can be on monitor 2 while the video display on the main monitor. What do you think?

Al Drake said:
Swordfish said:

It would be nice if the viewer supported multi monitors so the GPS can be on monitor 2 while the video display on the main monitor. What do you think?
Very good idea. They only need to make the map window detachable and Windows will take care of the rest.

bobn27613 said:
where did you get it for $217 with power supply and filter>
From green-sum on Ebay, but that was a few months ago.

Now the price is US263.90 from Green Sum on eBay for the same combo (Lukas LK-7900+16GB SD card+CPL filter+ power supply (presumably LK-290)). It is getting expensive and I guess popularity and good review contribute to it. Wish I knew this product earlier. :?

Hey folks,

I've been looking forward to this camera for a couple of weeks and today I've managed to finally order it. I got the Lukas and the LK-290 power supply, without CPL Filter, as I already have a 37mm CPL at home. I have a few questions for actual users, if possible:

I couldn't find any precise description for shutting down the camera. If powered from cigar jack, does it turn off by itself when I stop the engine or I have to manually shut down the camera from its switch before stopping car? I don't really get why there is an on/off switch on the camera. Is camera switch supposed to stay ON at all times, when using cigar jack?

Also, if camera is powered from the LK-290, what's the safest way to shut down the cam (by switching off from camera button or by turning off the LK-290?) ? I've seen that the built-in battery is there for any sudden power drops, to help the camera save current recording. Is switching the LK-290 off while recording too brutal? :)

I haven't previously used a dedicated dashcam, so I am trying to figure out how it works; I am currently recording with a GoPro HD Hero, using a mini-usb GPS power cable.

Many thanks! :D

Back