Möbius C-Lens changing colors.

Funnily enough I've been having great difficulty with focusing this Mobius 'A' lens which always appears somewhat soft/blurred with the video images when compared to the 0806 which although isn't faultless, does have a very good lens fitted, which results in outstanding sharpness of static objects.

I still think for car use the old metal lens base was better

should is the keyword

I think the user adjustable focus is harder to manage on the FRP bases which is part of the challenge

Have you tried focusing it in web can mode on your computer? That always seems to give me the best results compared to the AV out method.

Cheers Dashmellow, am intending to have another go at focusing the Mobius tomorrow if the weather is reasonable here in the UK. We are supposed to be mid summer with tons of sunshine and hot weather, but just recently the weather has been cold, rainy and generally pretty horrible, so not the best conditions for testing purposes.

should is the keyword

I think the user adjustable focus is harder to manage on the FRP bases which is part of the challenge

It could be, but if I understand correctly the focus issue with the new FRP modules had more to do with the warping of the sensor backing plate in extreme heat than with the lens focus. I could be wrong or it could involve both issues.

It could be, but if I understand correctly the focus issue with the new FRP modules had more to do with the warping of the sensor backing plate in extreme heat than with the lens focus. I could be wrong or it could involve both issues.

yeah I'm not sure, I look at the metal bases as being more stable and also being able to pull heat away from the sensor board, not having that effect with the FRP bases is perhaps a contributor to the problem

Cheers Dashmellow, am intending to have another go at focusing the Mobius tomorrow if the weather is reasonable here in the UK. We are supposed to be mid summer with tons of sunshine and hot weather, but just recently the weather has been cold, rainy and generally pretty horrible, so not the best conditions for testing purposes.

We've been through the same thing here in "New" England but suddenly hot sunny weather is breaking out all over at long last.

yeah I'm not sure, I look at the metal bases as being more stable and also being able to pull heat away from the sensor board, not having that effect with the FRP bases is perhaps a contributor to the problem

I consider the metal Mobius lens modules I currently own to be priceless gems. :)

Sorry to interrupt you guys, but can we stay ontopic please? Otherwise we have to rename the topic ;)

If it was just a backing plate they would have no need to release new lens 5 months after. In fact somewhere in endless pages of the Mobius forums it was mentioned they were working on new lens at the same time that they released the original C lens. So I think they had two issues like you said backplate and lens focus. First A and B lens I think was made from Japanese glass, there is not much info on the last two.

lens changes colour in the sun, what more is there to say about that?

Actually, the source I cited back in post #6 of this thread stated that the sun has nothing to do with the issue. ---"Black anodize turning bronze color" -----"The units are not exposed to sunlight or adverse atmosphere in installation so I wouldn't expect fading to be an issue."

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, the source I cited back in post #6 of this thread stated that the sun has nothing to do with the issue. ---"Black anodize turning bronze color" -----"The units are not exposed to sunlight or adverse atmosphere in installation so I wouldn't expect fading to be an issue."

was just meaning to point out there's only so much that can be said with the fading, whether it's environmental or a manufacturing problem there's only so much can be said about it so dragging the thread back on topic is kind of a moot point as there's not much else to say that hasn't been covered already, I don't think if the discussion leads onto other (still Mobius) related topics is such a bad thing

(not trying to criticize but it was lens/mobius related chatter anyway)

Last edited by a moderator:
If it was just a backing plate they would have no need to release new lens 5 months after. In fact somewhere in endless pages of the Mobius forums it was mentioned they were working on new lens at the same time that they released the original C lens. So I think they had two issues like you said backplate and lens focus. First A and B lens I think was made from Japanese glass, there is not much info on the last two.

I think the change to the new optics on the C lens was a separate issue from the warped rear base plate. They may even have gone to another supplier for the new lens. In any event, @Isoprop stated that, "According to the developer only a very small percentage of the new lens modules have the focus issue which can occur if the rear metal base plate warps due to heat. The new lens module has a slightly thicker metal plate which should eliminate the problem altogether."

Just ask how many people tried to find who to report to. Generic answer is talk to your seller. Bangood stopped responding to me after first email. Do I think that they really will get on the phone or send an email to manufacturer each time someone complains, if manufacturer already knows there is a problem? I really don't think so. Otherwise manufacturer would tell Bangood to get a faulty lens from customers to inspect what the real issue is. That's just my opinion from my experience.

was just meaning to point out there's only so much that can be said with the fading, whether it's environmental or a manufacturing problem there's only so much can be said about it so dragging the thread back on topic is kind of a moot point as there's not much else to say that hasn't been covered already, I don't think if the discussion leads onto other (still Mobius) related topics is such a bad thing

(not trying to criticize but it was lens/mobius related chatter anyway)

I agree. I don't feel we've particularly strayed off topic. If we have, it's far less so than in some other threads. Things around here are usually pretty casual anyway and I like it that way for the most part.

Anyway, it's interesting that the problem appears to have nothing to do with fading in the sun because it seems like that is the first theory that naturally comes to mind.

The new lens module has a slightly thicker metal plate which should eliminate the problem altogether."

I hope so, it's a blemish on an otherwise good record for the product, it's a camera I've regularly recommended to people that want a low cost solution and I've held off mentioning it much recently until I know it's sorted

Just ask how many people tried to find who to report to. Generic answer is talk to your seller. Bangood stopped responding to me after first email. Do I think that they really will get on the phone or send an email to manufacturer each time someone complains, if manufacturer already knows there is a problem? I really don't think so. Otherwise manufacturer would tell Bangood to get a faulty lens from customers to inspect what the real issue is. That's just my opinion from my experience.

If enough people are reporting a problem and demanding replacements you'd better believe that even Banggood is on the phone to the manufacturer about it, whether they are responding to you personally or not.

Back