Mac woes

Toronto7900

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Got a Lukas 7900 and it ran like a charm for one day. Then got the dreaded voice error 3 and readout error 2. Running AC 29. Got message from green-sum to reformat and reinstall. So here is my plan. Boot camp a partition of my Mac to run PC, install viewer and firmware. Then reformat SD card and install firmware Anybody gone this route? Any easier ideas?

You can format the SD card in the camera, see this thread about another mac user having problems with a 7900.

http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/formatting.1597/

You could run windows in a virtual machine; I used to do that before Boot Camp came along. After Boot Camp came along I installed it and never went back, it was so much easier to run windows only software that way. I have since switched to Linux and run windows only software in Wine now.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can format the SD card in the camera, see this thread about another mac user having problems with a 7900.

http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/formatting.1597/

You could run windows in a virtual machine; I used to do that before Boot Camp came along. After Boot Camp came along I installed it and never went back, it was so much easier to run windows only software that way. I have since switched to Linux and run windows only software in Wine now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for that. Right now wrestling with some HD problems in preparation for Bootcamping a segment. As Rosanna Rosannadanas daddy used to say "there is always something." Will get back as soon as I can w more info.

I can verify that bootcamp works well. I have an all Mac household but needed a pc running Windows to keep devices with no Mac software updated and it's literally no different from having a Windows machine. Totally worth it to do IMO.

Don't give up on me. Tried to do bootcamp through Mac and server was down, got busy and will take another shot at it after the cybershoppers have given up some bandwidth. I have had an endless string of Macs since my 128K toaster, but I am essentially a PC virgin. So, when I get Bootcamp installed do I have to buy Windows 7 and what is best way to do that? Hell all I want to do is install the Lukas dashboard to change time from Korea to EST. Then I want to flash the card but won't do that until I have this stuff installed in my Mac. Also how little can I portion to run this one pesky piece of software? I have no other PC apps I ever will care about. What do I put on the reformatted chip? I assume Lukas Ace.msi, setup.exe, and config.bin. Sorry to need such handholding but would really like to get this windshield brick to work like it did the first two days... However, I will take the time to get Mac sorted out first.

Wouldn't it be easier then to just ask someone with a PC for help? Sounds like you're investing a lot of time into something that can be fixed in 5 minutes in another person's PC...

You are absolutely right but, believe it or not, I don't have a friend with a PC and the ability to use it for anything but spreadsheets. I made a Mac world for myself and my staff and lived in it. I knew when I bought the Lukas I could have done the same thing w a GoPro camera but I decided to figure this out, perhaps with help, and a waste of my time but once I sort it out I will be self sufficient and might have learned a thing or two. Right now I am at the zero progress stage...

Parallel is easier if you have it around.

Otherwise, try Virtual Box. It's free and essentially an OS emulator. In their more recent updates, they were supporting USB in the emulator. You need the OS' CD in order to install it. Considering you were thinking about BootCamp, I'll take it you already have that.

Otherwise the easiest is to borrow a friend's pc. It's a lot simpler.

As for the Lukas, I'm not expert but all cameras I've ever had I'd erase the SD card, pop it back it and it'll take it care of itself. You can usually format it from the camera itself.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
bronze84 Dash Cam Discussion 15