Manually protecting recordings in LS300W

polonus

Reaction score
Country
United States
How can I manually protect recordings of LS300W? Let say I record something interesting on the highway I'd like to publish on YouTube. How can I save that file? Is it easier If I am on 5 minutes loop recording, or with "Loop Off"?

Re: Manually protectin recordings in LS300W

polonus said:
How can I manually protect recordings of LS300W? Let say I record something interesting on the highway I'd like to publish on YouTube. How can I save that file? Is it easier If I am on 5 minutes loop recording, or with "Loop Off"?

Long press on the "MENU" button. Always use Loop recording.

polonus said:

Using "mode" button go to recorded files view, select needed file, from there settings allow you to "Lock" it, so it will not be overwritten.

Gurkha9 said:
Long press on the "Mode" button. Always use Loop recording.

How long is "long"? Couple of seconds? Will that automatically save my last few minutes of recording? How many?

niko said:
Using "mode" button go to recorded files view, select needed file, from there settings allow you to "Lock" it, so it will not be overwritten.

But that is rather difficult to do when I'm driving, and after few hours I will not remember which exactly file I needed to save.

BTW is there any real manual/instruction how to use that thing? Little booklet attached to the camera gives very little tips and infos.

"Long Press" on LS300W with original firmware does not work for locking live recording file.
Gurkha9 has GT300W and with new firmware releases that could be a different case to LS300W with original firmware. I dont know personally, never tried to fiddle with putting GT300W into LS300W. There are some drawbacks as well if messing around with firmwares which meant for other units, so I keep only to original firmware updates.
My Panorama2 has separate "emergincy" button on the front panel side, so it is very easy just to click it and live recorded file will be locked. I wish LS300W would have something similar as well.

niko said:
My Panorama2 has separate "emergincy" button on the front panel side, so it is very easy just to click it and live recorded file will be locked. I wish LS300W would have something similar as well.

I wish that too, specially that I bought this unit to record movies for my YT channel. Pushing MODE button only mutes audio recording.

If I knew that before I bought it, I would buy different unit. :(

Is that any hope that it will be changed with future updates?

polonus said:
niko said:

I wish that too, specially that I bought this unit to record movies for my YT channel. Pushing MODE button changes only mutes audio recording.

If I knew that before I bought it, I would buy different unit. :(

Is that any hope that it will be changed with future updates?

Maybe latest GT300W firmware has such a feature. Not sure, - have not followed that thread lately. Check there.

I think I found it. :)

Pressing MENU button during recording will display little lock in the left lower corner of the screen and when I try to delete this file, it tells me it is protected. I assume it also will be protected when automatic recording will overwrite earlier videos.

Sorry meant to type MENU not MODE!
Screen shot is from DOD website.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-08-20 at 6.26.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-08-20 at 6.26.24 PM.png
    35.3 KB · Views: 136
Yes, it says black on white. I never needed to use "emergency" function, so I was lazy to read manual.
Thanks for reminding me about simple user manual thing :)

Gurkha9 said:
Sorry meant to type MENU not MODE!
Screen shot is from DOD website.

No problem, I found it anyway. :D

What is the "DOD website"? Do they have manual for that thing? Can I have a link?

Unfortunately this function doesn't work. When I push MENU button I have little lock symbol displayed on the screen, but video is protected only if I delete all videos from camera. It does not protect it from over-recording.

When I am at work, recording for 12 hours, and trying to protect some of the videos, and the end of the day I have only last 6 hours of recordings. Those earliest are lost, regardless of the fact, that I tried to protect them. :cry:

The only way to save those I'd like to keep is to stop recording before the memory card is full, let say every 5 hrs, delete all unprotected videos, transfer those, which are protected to my laptop, and resume recording.

Do I do something wrong? It has to be easier way... Why protecting video doesn't protect it from over-recording? What's the point of having that type of camera if someone cannot use it later as a proof of his innocence? :?:

polonus said:
Unfortunately this function doesn't work. When I push MENU button I have little lock symbol displayed on the screen, but video is protected only if I delete all videos from camera. It does not protect it from over-recording.

When I am at work, recording for 12 hours, and trying to protect some of the videos, and the end of the day I have only last 6 hours of recordings. Those earliest are lost, regardless of the fact, that I tried to protect them. :cry:

The only way to save those I'd like to keep is to stop recording before the memory card is full, let say every 5 hrs, delete all unprotected videos, transfer those, which are protected to my laptop, and resume recording.

Do I do something wrong? It has to be easier way... Why protecting video doesn't protect it from over-recording? What's the point of having that type of camera if someone cannot use it later as a proof of his innocence? :?:

I see what you mean. For sure something is wrong somewhere. File lock should specifically protect first of all from over-writing and it usually creates a separate folder on memory card.
Thank for rising an issue. I will try on mine soon. Never needed to use lock function before.

All I can say is that when I had the GT300W with Firmware 201306180-SC-2 it did work.
Protected recordings were not overwritten during regular cycled recordings. I was using 3 min segments, what are you using?

niko said:
... File lock should specifically protect first of all from over-writing and it usually creates a separate folder on memory card.
Thank for rising an issue. I will try on mine soon. Never needed to use lock function before.

I have only separate folders for each day. It doesn't create folders for protected videos.

Gurkha9 said:
I was using 3 min segments, what are you using?

I set mine to 2-minutes segments. I can try 3 minutes and see if that changes anything.

polonus said:
niko said:
... File lock should specifically protect first of all from over-writing and it usually creates a separate folder on memory card.

I have only separate folders for each day. It doesn't create folders for protected videos.

My bad, - mixed up with other Korean dash cams I am testing now, - they do have separate folders for g-sensor or protected files.

Did few quick tests with 2 min videos. When manually locked or G-sensor locked, later can not delete files if do deletion via dash cam option "delete all" - it does not delete manually locked or g-sensor activated protected files ). Then recorded few 5min files, where 1 was G-sensor locked and other one manually. After let whole 4gb microsd card to record about 40min. Later checked and all 2min and 5min protected / locked files were on the memory card. Dash camera was overwriting only not locked files.

@ "polonus", - what kind of firmware version do you have ?

you could as well just flick the cam with your finger to protect the file :)

Back