mass storage mode? how to disable

meph

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi.. im trying to hardwire my DOD dash cam... i have a spare usb port with a usb charging cable... .. when i plug it in it goes Mass storage mode. when i plug the regular cig adapter plug, i get camera mode. I tried with a regular USB data cable as well.... also mass storage mode. anybody know a work around?

I'm trying to clean up all the cableing and not use the cig adapter... any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.. thanks.

TAKEN FROM " HELP, CANT GET DOD LS300W STARTED"

Hi MLN,
We have had the " Mass Storage" problem before, however, it has had nothing to do with the SD cards funnily enough. The problem was that the charger was not compatible with the device itself ( Even though it can straight from DOD). The LS300w identifies its own specific charger e.g., you cannot use an LS430 or LS430W charger with it. When the incompatible charger is connected the unit shows up " Mass storage " but when we received the correct replacement charger ( It looks exactly the same) from DOD, it worked fine. I would contact the person you purchased the item from.

I hope this helps!

You need to use the specific charger that came with the unit-

DASHCAMS.AUSTRALIA

EMAIL: info@dashcamsaustralia.com.au

PHONE: 1-800-763-575

Get some tape or paper and cover up the two connectors in the middle of the USB plug. That will prevent any data communication to the camera. The two outer ones are power.

I tried that... i even went as far as to cut the cable and short out the data connection. still says mass storage... must be something in the Cig socket adapter that makes the camera not go to mass storage mode... i was hoping someone here has some experience.

It will work fine. Power is the issue. It needs to be able to deliver 1000mA, computer USB outlets supply between 100mA up to 500mA.

Google it:

The average power of a USB port is about 5 volts. Your USB device will be able to draw out a maximum of 500 milliamperes (mA), but most default to 100 mA until prompted to provide more power by the device software. If your device requires more power than 500 mA, it may work slower or not at all while plugged into your computer.

Read more: http://www.ehow.com/facts_7327681_power-output-usb-port_.html#ixzz2uAfJ0Mmn

We have many customers doing what you are trying to do. Also if your powering from a USB port on a multi cigarette socket adapter, be sure you have one rated higher than what the camera draws (1000mA) if you intend to plug anything else into it at the same time.
Ideal situation would see you hard wire the camera with a simple add a fuse and female 12v cigarette socket. In this manner you give the camera clean power and free up your 12 socket. Also you can hide the wires!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
W DOD LS300 3
Back