"Median Traffic Yield On Red After Stop"

S P

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
SGGCX2PRO & SGGCX2
Confusing setup, yes. It means you can proceed and treat the red light as a yield and proceed, after stopping. This person didn't know that, and the problem is that there are no sensors under the road to trigger the light. Those are well behind us at the other end of the intersection, and away from the median area. I had hoped that the pedestrian hit the signal to trigger the lights, but I think she just went. Then I hoped the white Accord that pulled in would figure it out, but they just stopped too. Meanwhile traffic is piling up behind me and starting to get pissed off, so I just squeezed by. I tried to help them out by rolling down my window, and pointing up at the sign. They went through after I did. Don't think the light ever changed.

Heavily Asian neighborhood and area, so yes that could have been in play. This is basic "traffic sign English" though. If you're licensed to drive, you ought to be able to read and correctly interpret basic signs like these. Oh wait, who the hell am I kidding? You're only required to pass driving exams with a 60% or better, which would explain a lot. #facepalm

QUE o_O

Even i would have picked up on that one, but i gotta admit i would have been thinking this is just all wrong, WTH are those yanks thinking. :rolleyes:

Simple if better.

I am sure without the sign up there ( what ever it read ) i would have been parked there too waiting for green, but i assume the text on the sign is plain and simple to understand.

Here that would have been a 4 way stop, a ultra small roundabout would have been put in, or the light would have been sensor operated so its always green for the crossing "main street" and then only change to green the other way if there is any traffic there.

Seem silly to put 2 light buckets up there just to have them red all the time :D

The way I understand, if I don't stop at the red light, then I don't need to yield? So technically I can't be charged for failing to yield the right of way if it leads to accident, only for running a red light?

Sometimes English can be a hard language to get the exact meaning without having 57 different ways it could be reinterprented.

The proper way to implement that intersection would be to have a flashing red light.

But flashing red light would cost more than regular 3 light assembly that never uses the green or yellow light.

A friend of mine who's actually a traffic engineer just happened to see this, and said confusion here should be expected because it's not a standard setup. He said that it's clearly not to MUTCD standards (Google that), or, could actually be illegal at worst. If there happened to be an accident and especially a fatality here, everybody would be arguing that it's not setup per standards and confusing, and the city/county could be liable. Not sure if this is technically a public road or a private one, but either way, not to standard. He said the best solution here would be a small roundabout. Another neighborhood nearby does indeed have small roundabouts, and they work just fine.

99.999 % of the time, in 100% of the civilised countries in the world, a solid red light means stop.

Reactions: S P
Yes I must admit I've fallen for the right turn on red trick when I've driven in the U.S. Usually a hoot from behind acts as a gentle reminder. :) I think right turn on red is a great idea, pity we don't have it here.

99.999 % of the time, in 100% of the civilised countries in the world, a solid red light means stop.

Are you sure that's what it means? Based on what I saw on the roads today, it doesn't seem to mean anything different than green or yellow.

Yes I must admit I've fallen for the right turn on red trick when I've driven in the U.S. Usually a hoot from behind acts as a gentle reminder. :) I think right turn on red is a great idea, pity we don't have it here.

Yes, you should have left on red instead. It'd probably work out much better for you. :p

Back