Memory card error

ivantwilliams

Reaction score
Country
United States
Over the past week or so, I would randomly see a memory card error, "Memory card error, card cannot be read", or something like that.
Rather odd, I have had the camera installed for less than a year (bought it brand new). Thus, miffed why the memory card error.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Also, with the camera being on, 24/7 (motion and such), would that cause issues with the memory card, or even the camera?

Thanks
Ivan

Get a "High Endurance" card for best results.

Not sure what the model of the card is. I have not removed it to look. However, over the past week or so, no errors, thus far.
Weird...

The memory card is an SanDisk Ultra, 64GB.
I just removed the card, did a Dash Cam 55 software update. I then removed all data, bar the data from yesterday, 31st January 2020.

Let's see how the card performs over the coming days...

"Regular" SanDisk cards don't have the best reputation when it comes to continuous recording.
Maybe that's why they exclude it from their warranty.

Ah, I see. What exact model cards are better recommended? Thanks, I will then look into that said card.

After all, the memory card is 'active' 24x7x365. So, I understand the possibility of an error(s)...

Thanks

"Regular" SanDisk cards don't have the best reputation when it comes to continuous recording.

Sandisk Ultra Plus was incompatible with my Viofo. Would cause camera to freeze. Not sure if maybe there's a similar compatibility error with Garmin. I run a Sandisk A2 Extreme 256GB and have never had a hiccup. Some cards just aren't compatible.

...also, after reading more and more on this memory card thing, I just noticed I need to pay attention to the 'hours', too.
The link to the card above, 128GB, is 10,000 hours, i.e. about 1 year, 2 months or so. Sounds to me like, post the 416 days, the card would start to give me problems, no?

...also, after reading more and more on this memory card thing, I just noticed I need to pay attention to the 'hours', too.
The link to the card above, 128GB, is 10,000 hours, i.e. about 1 year, 2 months or so. Sounds to me like, post the 416 days, the card would start to give me problems, no?

Way off base. A simple 5 Minute recording on my Viofo A129 Duo at 1080p Front + Rear = 600MB per 5 minute video. Meaning Each 5 Minute video takes up 1.2GB of space - 600MB front + 600MB Rear. I have a Sandisk A2 Extreme 256GB card in the camera. So do the math. 256GB / 1.2GB = 213 individual recordings at 5 minutes each. So a 256GB card will give me about 1065 minutes of video for front + rear. That's around 17.75 Hours with Front + Rear at 30FPS

You need to take into account several things:

What Pixel Resolution is the Camera Recording in:

Your Garmin 55 records at a maximum of 1440P at 60 FPS. Which appears to be around 337MB per minute. Meaning a 256GB card would give you 690 Minutes of recordings. Or around 11.5 Hours.

Last edited:
Back