Midrange cam good for rear view, night, and parking mode that doesn't disrupt keyless entry.

Eric A

Reaction score
Country
United States
Right now I have this sorta-working but otherwise abysmal cam:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00T5M8IV2The CiBest 360... what a piece of work it is.
It does let me get a tiny window of view while I'm backing up my mustang with many blind spots so it's not useless. But I'm so sick of crappy cams that you can't be sure are working even 75% of the time.

I'd like a cam with 1080 video that doesn't suck at night.
It would be so nice to have one that records while parked and doesn't drain the battery.
I was liking the F770 but it doesn't appear to have a screen.
Was also looking at this BlackVue power magic battery pack: https://www.amazon.com/gp/B01HFRH34QQuite an expense just to let the camera keep rolling but I guess it would be worth it.

I did find this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/B01LY6ZCK5X550D which seems to be pretty great. The price is a tad steep and I'm worried I might still need a battery pack to keep my battery from running down. My car is parked overnight for 14 or so hours, do these things run down the battery quickly?
Also it appears to mount with 3m adhesive. I may be selling this car in a year or two do they have suction cup adapters?

I already have rigged a 12v power outlet just for the cam, and it's always on. So I've been having to unplug it while parked.
OMG last question! If I leave my current cam plugged in and lock the car, when I return the key fob won't work and I have to open the door by inserting the key in the door. Then the car alarm goes off. Happens every damn time. Why is this happening? Interference? Did I tap my 12v into the wrong circuit?

current cam will be electrically noisy and is probably in close enough proximity to the antenna of your keyless entry system that it interferes and wipes out the signal if left running, reasonably common problem from cheap cameras

your battery probably won't go flat from running 14 hours, not initially at least, having a parasitic load drawing on your battery day after day will dramatically effect its service life though so expect to have to replace your car battery much sooner than you normally would if this becomes a regular thing

Wow one day after I posted this, my car got broken into. And they didn't take anything I'm sure because my psycho car alarm scared them off. If I'd had a parking mode dashcam I could have recorded the whole thing. Assuming they didn't decide my current dashcam was junk just by looking at it.
Hey they should make a high-end dashcam that looks like a worthless piece of junk!

A cam may not have caught anything if they approached from the side or an area outside of the cam's FOV :eek: Not too many of us have all sides covered and in doing that if the cam's are visible at all you're increasing the reason a thief would want to break in to begin with. It's always a compromise :( If the Mobius nighttime vid quality is good enough for you, it's hardly recognizable as a cam by most people and can record 24/7 without problems given a power source which will handle that. Not parking mode but you get the video anyway- you just have to go through all of it to find what you need. Given the rarity of needing to do that I think it's a good method ;)

Phil

Back