Rear view mirror dashcam recommendations or stick with standard cams?

Google

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I seen some really nifty rear view mirror dual-channel dash cam recommendations in taxis on a recent trip to Asia. However, I don't know if they are reliable. A few models I seen basically replace your rear view mirror completely as the rear view camera is always on. We don't need anything fancy like Wi-Fi but lane assist and a strong customer/technical support base would be a must. Nighvision too. Preferably 4K.

If it makes it simpler I will be having the cam professionally installed and I'm located in Canada.

Last edited:
The mirror style cameras dont see much traffic in here, also very few of the " big " reviewers looked at them.
In my car as the mirror is mounted off the roof, and some ways back from the windscreen, i fear such a mirror camera will have a lot of the dotted area in the frame, well at least if it have a lens FOV like we are used to from conventional dashcams.
I think if you measure level from the back of my mirror and to the windscreen, there is 8 inches or so of space.

Once i had a 20 X optical zoom box camera mounted there, worked just fine and plenty of room.

30xzoom-5mp-ip-camera-2MP-HD-1920x1080P-30X-Optical-Zoom-IP-Camera-Color-1080P-IPC-CCTV.jpg

Digital / LCD rear view mirrors are not uncommon in many new cars today.

@kamkar

Much thanks for your input. The rear view cams are all over the place in Asia especially with Ubers and taxis. They even have OBD HUD add-ons too.

I seen some really nifty rear view mirror dual-channel dash cam recommendations in taxis on a recent trip to Asia. However, I don't know if they are reliable. A few models I seen basically replace your rear view mirror completely as the rear view camera is always on. We don't need anything fancy like Wi-Fi but lane assist and a strong customer/technical support base would be a must. Nighvision too. Preferably 4K.

If it makes it simpler I will be having the cam professionally installed and I'm located in Canada.
Ask @viofo to make one.
Use this form to document your request;

Ask @viofo to make one.
Use this form to document your request;
The rear view mirror cams in Asia which are ridiculously common in Asia are probably made by @viofo as it's from China. Perhaps @VIOFO-Support can chime in and clarify if it's rebranded for the Asian market. Not many choices n in North America, aside from very few models from Blackvue, Thinkware, Cobra, Garmin, and Rexing.

The rear view mirror cams in Asia which are ridiculously common in Asia are probably made by @viofo as it's from China. Perhaps @VIOFO-Support can chime in and clarify if it's rebranded for the Asian market. Not many choices n in North America, aside from very few models from Blackvue, Thinkware, Cobra, Garmin, and Rexing.
Not sure they are, yes a lot of Chinese tech take off-the-shelf solutions and then re-brand them or make them to the company's desired specification. There's only one decent mirror dashcam I've seen in the 70mai S500 as that has a Starvis 2 sensor, and maybe one or two Starvis 1 that are actually 4K (IMX415??) - - - but yeah options are limited really.

Not sure they are, yes a lot of Chinese tech take off-the-shelf solutions and then re-brand them or make them to the company's desired specification. There's only one decent mirror dashcam I've seen in the 70mai S500 as that has a Starvis 2 sensor, and maybe one or two Starvis 1 that are actually 4K (IMX415??) - - - but yeah options are limited really.
That's disappointing. Just like 10 years ago, there were slim pickings with regular dash cams.

Out of curiosity. Is it worth paying extra for dash cam lane assist technology or is it still fairly unreliable outside vehicle OEMs?

That's disappointing. Just like 10 years ago, there were slim pickings with regular dash cams.

Out of curiosity. Is it worth paying extra for dash cam lane assist technology or is it still fairly unreliable outside vehicle OEMs?
Probably not because I've found them not to work that reliably, both pre and post buying a car in 2020.

My car at moment has the proper radar for lane assist etc and it works reliably enough, dashcams are nowhere near that reliability

Lane assist ASO rarely work good in dashcams and most end up turning that stuff off

We have not produced rear-view mirror cams till now, but this may be part of our plan in the future. Thanks for your suggestions and please keep tuned.

We have not produced rear-view mirror cams till now, but this may be part of our plan in the future. Thanks for your suggestions and please keep tuned.
Starvis 2 4k mirror dashcam with better heat dissipation due to the longer mirror body? Hehe

Back