Mini 0801, 8 GB memory decision, needed if SD card is 32GB?

fieldofview

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
$60 starter cam: "Car Camcorder P9000, 720p
Hi,
I've narrowed my choices down with the mini 0801 as 1st choice. Question, if I include a 32 GB memory card in the order, is there any benefit also ordering the camera with the optional 8 GB internal memory? Am I duplicating memory I don't need? I'd order with the GPS option.

If anyone is interested, here's the basis for my choice, any comments and suggestions appreciated (I haven't ordered the camera yet)

1st choice, Mini 0801
- small size, should be stealthy
- good reviews, great daytime video and good night time video
- mini-usb power cable (instead of round power plug)
- gps option with gps built into the mounting base, km/h is fine, I'm in Canada
- easy on and off the mounting base
- I would use the Scotch Brand heavy duty fastner version of velcro instead of double sided tape.

My 2nd choice. LS300W or similar
- relatively small size, but not as stealthy as Mini 0801
- good reviews, great daytime and night video with wide dynamic range processing
- relatively easy on/off from base
- gps option
- suction cup mounting more visible than base on Mini 0801.

For either camera I'll order a 3 m/ 10 ft usb mini cable and use a dual USB car charger (like these http://www.ebay.ca/itm/321165040284?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 so I have 2.1 amp power for my cell phone too from the same 12v power outlet and 1 amp for the camera.

The 12 v power outlet is switched with the ignition so I won't have power for parking mode. I might get a battery pack for parking mode if I'm going to park for days say at airport. I'm not interested in installin a battery discharge limiter.

If the hardware and firmware is the same with/without the built in 8 Gig, I can only see forgetting the SD card outside the car (in a pc for example) and driving off. Or maybe if your external card is full and it gives trouble to recycle you can switch to the internal card.

Hi,
I've narrowed my choices down with the mini 0801 as 1st choice. Question, if I include a 32 GB memory card in the order, is there any benefit also ordering the camera with the optional 8 GB internal memory? Am I duplicating memory I don't need? I'd order with the GPS option.

If anyone is interested, here's the basis for my choice, any comments and suggestions appreciated (I haven't ordered the camera yet)

1st choice, Mini 0801
- small size, should be stealthy
- good reviews, great daytime video and good night time video
- mini-usb power cable (instead of round power plug)
- gps option with gps built into the mounting base, km/h is fine, I'm in Canada
- easy on and off the mounting base
- I would use the Scotch Brand heavy duty fastner version of velcro instead of double sided tape.

My 2nd choice. LS300W or similar
- relatively small size, but not as stealthy as Mini 0801
- good reviews, great daytime and night video with wide dynamic range processing
- relatively easy on/off from base
- gps option
- suction cup mounting more visible than base on Mini 0801.

For either camera I'll order a 3 m/ 10 ft usb mini cable and use a dual USB car charger (like these http://www.ebay.ca/itm/321165040284?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 so I have 2.1 amp power for my cell phone too from the same 12v power outlet and 1 amp for the camera.

The 12 v power outlet is switched with the ignition so I won't have power for parking mode. I might get a battery pack for parking mode if I'm going to park for days say at airport. I'm not interested in installin a battery discharge limiter.

0801 is nice dash camera, - more compact, but at night ls300w is better.

Just to add:
why you go with ls300w ? Go with gt300w, - it is exactly the same dash camera, but without DOD logoes and cost 25-30% cheaper.

If the hardware and firmware is the same with/without the built in 8 Gig, I can only see forgetting the SD card outside the car (in a pc for example) and driving off. Or maybe if your external card is full and it gives trouble to recycle you can switch to the internal card.

Thanks, good point. I've already done that, left the SD card in the PC and the dash cam was not usable until I got home and put the SD card back into the camera. I think I'll get the 8 GB memory. I thought of a 2nd SD card to leave in the car instead of the 8 GB internal memory, but it could end up one day both SD cards are in the house.

Last edited:
0801 is nice dash camera, - more compact, but at night ls300w is better.

Thanks. Agreed the night video of the LS300W is amazing. It's a trade-off, smaller size of the 0801 versus better night video of the LS300W.

Just to add:
why you go with ls300w ? Go with gt300w, - it is exactly the same dash camera, but without DOD logoes and cost 25-30% cheaper.

Thanks, yeah, the GT300W is the way to go.

Of course if you are looking for smaller size dash cams, then check thread about gt450w or gt680w.

Of course if you are looking for smaller size dash cams, then check thread about gt450w or gt680w.

Thanks for the lead on the GT450W and GT680W, so many choices, my "1st choice" changes every few days.

Thanks for the lead on the GT450W and GT680W, so many choices, my "1st choice" changes every few days.

Take your time. Don't rush with purchase. Products don't run away :)
Brows / read 1-2 weeks forum, educate yourself, - I am sure you will not regret it. Knowledge is most important !

Reactions: Mtz
Thanks Niko,
Agreed, it's beneficial to be patient. The longer I wait, the more the cameras develop and the selection widens. In the meantime I have a Car Cam P9000/CarCam K2000 720p starter cam for now.

Thanks Niko,
Agreed, it's beneficial to be patient. The longer I wait, the more the cameras develop and the selection widens. In the meantime I have a Car Cam P9000/CarCam K2000 720p starter cam for now.

To some degree it's good advice to wait sometimes, especially until you have researched a few camera's. It is also true however, that if one keeps waiting for the next gen camera or anything else for that matter, you end up never owning anything.. lol

I'm always spending a small fortune on my PC, latest cpu, graphics cards you name it..lol. The fact is, you can almost guarantee as soon as you buy something it will get superceeded by another model very soon after. So go with whats available now, lifes too short to keep waiting around for the next product. Look at the fun your missing out on while your doing all this waiting. (Unless of course the new release is only days away)

I since pushed the buy button and have ordered a Mini 0801 with the 8GB internal memory, 32 GB card, and GPS. I bought from E-Prance and the communication back and forth on my questions has been first class. I'm anxiously waiting for it to arrive now.

Back