Mini 0803 coming

I wish this hardware could take place in the small case of the 0801/0803 :rolleyes:
hehe, now you know the configuration of 0805. ;)

:p
Your silence to the earlier post/queries speaks volumes....:D

sorry i read the threads from the end to earier.......
and my typing speed is quite slow ;) my poor English :(

20140510V1

I pull our engineer out of his bed on the Saturday morning because i found a serious problem in 20140507V1, that is how the 20140510 version came out on the weekend. but some cameras have been delivered to distributors so there maybe some 0803 arrived users with 0507 firmware. we are improving 0510 now but 0510 is the latest formal released firmware until now.

when it is called CENTER, it can't be moved in any direction because it is exact CENTER. this is same as a DSLR.
I know that. This is a video sample from AE metering:

I prefer the upper position, but the lower position's AE metering is better. That's why I said, that I would like a movable AE area to select from menu.

it will be a long list, and it will discover the customer business information. please understand the situation.

this is because i saw @aabs live in UK, he can get a new camera from UK reseller in eariest time.

yes there are other factories which share the patent authorization also. so there is competition which will serve customers better. (solo manufacturer will be price monopoly.)

the A7LA50D version mini 0803s from different manufacturers have same hardware, this is under regulation. and factories share the bug reports together to improve the camera better. so the FW is universal. (but you must check your camera spec first, because some OEM mini 0803s is Amba A7LA30D chipset.)
more customized features/functions are applied on different OEM customers of different factories. that is the real difference between different manufacturers.
Just like the feature "add the BEEP VOLUME adjustment and BLANK in driver number" we are working on, but you can upgrade our firmware to other manufacturers' 0803 also because the hardwares are exact same, this can't be prevented.
But anyway, we are doing our best to satisfy customers' requirement.
Thanks for the various replies Rayman. ;)
It's extremely good to hear that the FW will work across the slightly varying Mini 0803s coming from the different manufacturers or assemblers. Hope that it stays that way during its lifetime.

sorry i read the threads from the end to earier.......
and my typing speed is quite slow ;) my poor English :(
No need to apologise, I've deleted my other "tongue in cheek" posting this evening, as it added nothing to this Thread. If anything I should be apologising to you for mine! Somehow we'd managed to post at exactly the same time!! That was a bit freaky!!:eek:

Last edited:
There have been suggestions that the " running hot" of the 0803 could be due to using class 10 cards with the high res 1296p mode and possibly a class 6 card might help with this. Is this true? I can't find class 6 cards around here anymore. Everything has gone class 10.

There have been suggestions that the " running hot" of the 0803 could be due to using class 10 cards with the high res 1296p mode and possibly a class 6 card might help with this. Is this true? I can't find class 6 cards around here anymore. Everything has gone class 10.

won't make any difference

Even as Jokiin says it will make no difference, you can buy 16 and 32 GB Samsung class 6 cards on Amazon.ca.

1080P 60fps is used on sport cameras as GoPro. but the price is much higher.

On many latest dashcams there is also 1080 / 60 option and fair retail price is few times lower than GoPro.
Point is that even if 0803 would be based on A7LA70, there are no advantages in data reading like numberplates vs 1080 / 30, at least not with the way present firmware is set up to process and record video data. Only advantage of 1080 / 60 at the moment is smoother video playback.

Test video by 0803 0510V1 FW with new Lens...
OV4689 has big potential and I think its the right choice to go for A7 based dashcams. At least I have positive impression about initial video tests of OV4689. We will see how technology and production evolves.
Yep, the A7 chipset & OV4689 is already looking like a good combination!

hehe, now you know the configuration of 0805. ;)
Hope that comment doesn't stall sales of the Mini 0803!;)
Is the Mini 0805 already in development phase or just on drawing board at this time?o_O

Last edited:
On many latest dashcams there is also 1080 / 60 option and fair retail price is few times lower than GoPro.
Point is that even if 0803 would be based on A7LA70, there are no advantages in data reading like numberplates vs 1080 / 30, at least not with the way present firmware is set up to process and record video data. Only advantage of 1080 / 60 at the moment is smoother video playback.
Based on your experience, 60fps does not help on cross moving objects recognizability like this?

30fps.png

Based on your experience, 60fps does not help on cross moving objects recognizability like this?

30fps.png

Correct. At least the way present FW is setup to precess and record video, I did not see any difference on numberplates reading from towards moving cars when doing side by side of same solution two dashcams A7LA70D, one was 1080/60 other 1080/30.
I know A7 is fairly new and not fully explored, not full potential is squeezed out and most developers struggles with source code, so it might take some time before we see in 1080/60 dashcams full correct potential. I guess only GoPro ( which is not dashcam ) has at the moment full A7 source code support, thats why they might achieved different result, but other "newbies", especislly on dashcam market still have to work hard in order to squeez out most potential from A7. Thats why we see now struggle in 0803 firmware. It will take some time for FW engineers to fully polish it.

30fps.png
This kind of situation is more a shutter time issue, instead of fps issue.
When light decrease, shutter time increase.
More ISO sensitivity will reduce shutter time.
Photographers will understand what I mean ;)

This kind of situation is more a shutter time issue, instead of fps issue.
When light decrease, shutter time increase.
More ISO sensitivity will reduce shutter time.
Photographers will understand what I mean ;)

Correct. At night big role plays ISO depending on rapidly changing light environment.
At day time ISO almost stable ( not such a big value jump as at night ), thats why at day time dashcam can read numberplates.

OK. Some comment to my nighttime recordings.
It is clearly visible that high resolution worth nothing without availability of clean high iso and faster shutter speed. Capturing nighttime moving, 30fps is not enough! Motions are blurred, even on still pictures. At least 60fps (or more!!!) would be appropriate... I know that double of higher frame rate is half reducing the brightness, that's why double more iso setting would be necessary! Unfortunately double iso dramatically increasing the noise level (which looks so high even with low iso now)
I would appreciate a "night" mode in the menu even with 720p, but 60fps and high (but noise free) iso setting.

ISO 3600 would be OK ;) with good 3DNR.

Has anyone used their recorded video because of a mishap or an accident and if so did you have to go to court? Did the judge accept the video as evidence ? I got cutoff by an out of control driver and I almost rear ended him. If I had hit him, the video would have helped.

Not used the car one yet but the helmetcam on the bike has made things much easier. This footage was used by the police to help with the prosecution, I wasn't needed, and I used it when threatening the othersides underwriters with court action following their refusing to pay to repair the bike despite having to pay for a loan bike for a further 3 months (costing more than just replacing the bike at week one), they decided that whatever happened in court it was going to cost them even more money.

Do I buy the 0803 or wait for awhile, I have read that there are a few issues at the moment.

Back