Mini 0805 - Showing SmartAE at work

reverend

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Too many
Well my Mini 0805 has arrived from Gearbest (thanks Alta) and I'm just running through the last few hours of footage and noticed that the SmartAE function is working really well on this one.

Basically when you're running a car with xenon / HID headlights it can cause trouble for the dashcam to read the numberplate of the car in front as the massive amount of light overloads the sensor and it clips the reflections to white.

@niko has done a fantastic post on this subject here:
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/reading-license-plates-at-night-hid-xenon-standard-bulbs.1444/

So basically the SmartAE function of the camera dims the image when it detects the clipping to try and capture the numberplate as well as possible - normally on older dashcams you'd just see a white box where the numberplate should be - certainly here in the UK where we have reflective numberplates. Other countries vary as some aren't actually reflective (and that's also why some demo videos look amazing sometimes from other countries).

Anyway, pictures speak a thousand words so video must speak even more:

You can see that as I pull up closer to the car in front the whole image is dimmed until the numberplate can be read easily. It's a great little touch and nice to see this Ambarella feature in use.

The Mini 0805 is available directly from the following:

Gearbest in China at $74.99 (using code GB0805) with the GPS mount here:

JooVuu in the UK with next day delivery available at £73.99 including the GPS and a hardwire mount here:
https://joovuu.com/gb/home/106-mini-0803.html

Last edited:
Nice videos, and a big plus for what I believe is 808 State-Pacific 202 in the first video.

It certainly is mate - I've not cleaned the audio up yet from where YT keeps flagging tracks! Need to dig more old CDs out :)

Great videos, but I consider only the latest is proving the SmartAE magic because car number plate is under the line of your front lights.

enjoy,
Mtz

Hi Guy's,

where do I find the smart AE function? I've been playing with adjusting the camera position, the AE and white balance. But I can't really get a combination that works good at daytime and during the night.

I've got the 11-22-2014 firmware. Any suggestions for a good setup?

Rens

Reactions: Raz
I agree with Rens. Where is that smartAE feature because i cannot find in in the menu.

The SmartAE function is on by default with these - what problems are you having?

I tried all 3 exposure setting .. center, spot, average yet at night, i cannot "read" any information from any license plates.
I use it in a jeep, camera is pointed downwards from behind the mirror at aprox -55 deg. from horizontal.

Is it the cars in front you're having problems with?

Do you have a screen shot or video to show how you mean please?

These cameras can't read numberplates of oncoming cars at night but you should usually be able to see what's in front unless your headlights are overpowering the plates if you have xenons etc?

I have regular halogen light bulbs.
I do not have any fresh footage (flashed it today with the latest firmware in an attempt to find that SmartAE feature somewhere in the menu).
I noticed it on a still car, at a stop light, in front of me. Was probably 10ft away from it.
Overexposed license plate.
I have a G1WH also that i used before this and that one was able to auto adjust when the brightness was over exposing the image.
I will test it later tonight on my way home, and review the new footage with the new firmware.
I will also try different light combinations (fog light on/off) and all.. I wouldn't dare turn on my off-road lights because it will record a white spot for sure ...

Here it is. Is this how night footage should look?

Should mine looks this dark?

Granted, it really was dark down the lanes. Skip on to about 1 minute to see it in the city. AE Meter Mode is set to average.

Should mine looks this dark?

Granted, it really was dark down the lanes. Skip on to about 1 minute to see it in the city. AE Meter Mode is set to average.
Seems to be a little dark compared to mine, but it's not too bad viewed full screen in a low light room.

Back