Mini 0806 and SanDisk 128GB microSDXC Class 10 Memory Card

micro-SDHC and micro-SDXC are supported.

Excellent points. These questions should be addressed in the 0806 user manual. It would be valuable to know if the 0806 formats the 128GB cards directly or if there's something funny about the way they're used. Who knows? Maybe when we try to use a 128GB card the 0806 won't format it and then you have to go and buy an SDXC reader for your computer before you can use your new 0806 with the undocumented memory cards. I have a master's degree in engineering and I still get burned when I buy "stuff" without exhaustively running down every miserable detail. Just the fact that all the answers so far are of the "bait and switch" variety is enough to make me want to dig deeper. In my experience, if you don't ask these questions, you **will** get burned which translates directly into money wasted.
I don't possess a 128GB card but I do have two 64GB Cards, both Samsung, one Evo and one Pro, both of the latest generation. I will try to answer your questions better than has been done so far.

The mini0806 will format the 64GB cards and does it correctly in exFAT format as they should be formatted if larger than 32GB in capacity. Unfortunately the camera can't write video to them unless they are formatted in FAT32 format, which explains Rayman's instruction/requirement to use a formatting tool to format them on your computer in FAT32 format.

Apart from that you can expect any current microSD card to work correctly, but I suggest avoiding Sandisk due to the number of problems people have been having with them when used for video.

The amount of video you can fit on the card depends on lighting conditions and is quite a lot more at night then in bright sunlight so I can't give an accurate answer to your capacity question. Currently I have 8 hours 40 minutes of 1080 21:9 cinema width video on one 64GB card which is typical for daytime use. If you use 720 resolution you will about double the time and if you use the lowest quality setting you can double it again and if you use two cards in alternating mode you can double it again so absolute maximum with 2 128GB cards is 132 hours (5.5 days continuous recording), but you do sacrifice a lot of detail to get that.

I don't believe the camera is limited to using 128GB cards although that is what is written in the specification. If you can obtain 512GB cards then I would expect them to work but currently they are not available, although you could use 512GB SD cards and use SD to microSD adaptors - a rather expensive and not so neat solution!

Hi Nigel,
That's a lot of great info and definitely helps me understand better what to do and what to look out for. That's the first I heard that Sandisk has issues with video so thank you for that. So if the larger cards have to be formatted with FAT32 does that mean the camera can only access 32GB regardless of the fact that a larger card is installed? I didn't really follow Raymans comments on that.
Thank you.

It will access all the memory if formatted FAT32, it's a firmware hack that a lot of cameras use to give partial support for larger memory cards

When fully supported you can use whatever size you please and format and use in the camera without issue, no need for 3rd party programs

Yes, as Rayman tried to explain, it should work with anything from 2 gigabytes to 2 terabytes and access the full storage space. You will have to wait two or three years for a 2 TB card though :D

The support for 2TB is intended for SSD and USB hard drive use, not suited to this design obviously and it's not built on the right SDK either

The support for 2TB is intended for SSD and USB hard drive use, not suited to this design obviously and it's not built on the right SDK either
Are you saying it wont work or just that it is not ideal? Not ideal is fine as long as it works, most of the time it only needs simple sequential access not high speed random access. It certainly seems to work very reliably at 64GB and as long as the address size for up to 2TB is supported I don't see why that would work any differently...

Are you saying it wont work or just that it is not ideal? Not ideal is fine as long as it works, most of the time it only needs simple sequential access not high speed random access. It certainly seems to work very reliably at 64GB and as long as the address size for up to 2TB is supported I don't see why that would work any differently...

SSD or USB hard drive wouldn't work, wrong SDK, the product isn't designed for them though so no big deal

If MicroSD cards large enough were available they would most likely work when formatted FAT32, they're not so it's impossible to test but they 'should' work, they haven't claimed support for anything larger than 2 x 128GB at this stage which is the practical limit that anyone would be purchasing right now anyway

SSD or USB hard drive wouldn't work, wrong SDK, the product isn't designed for them though so no big deal

If MicroSD cards large enough were available they would most likely work when formatted FAT32, they're not so it's impossible to test but they 'should' work, they haven't claimed support for anything larger than 2 x 128GB at this stage which is the practical limit that anyone would be purchasing right now anyway
Well 2 x 512GB SD cards via adaptors to give 1TB is physically possible right now if someone has an application which justifies it...

One other point to make - When the parking guard bracket is available the camera will run in low frame rate mode when parked (unless it detects a shock) which will significantly extend the recording time.

not sure who's keen enough to spend $1000 or so in memory cards to test the theory, it will possibly work anyway but by the time 2 x 512GB is an affordable option I think this model will be long gone so it's doesn't much matter, if it can work reliably with 2 x 128gb I'd say that's good enough right now

the parking guard bracket I don't see as a big deal as the camera still has a battery, unless they've worked out some way of bypassing the battery while parked, not sure how they would do that but it might make it viable if they have

Pressing a link from this thread showed me the 64GB on Amazon and pressing more I found 128GB for $55 in USA. Maybe a mistake?

enjoy,
Mtz

Pressing a link from this thread showed me the 64GB on Amazon and pressing more I found 128GB for $55 in USA. Maybe a mistake?
I wouldn't touch that with a barge pole - the only one I see is $65 now.

Like Rick says there have been some Evo's glitching recently and a lot of recent reviews on Amazon UK are indicating a bad batch - unless they all bought fakes from a third party seller.

I'm trying a 128GB KomputerBay card now and it's getting slower with use - as in writes have slowed down 10x and it hasn't been written to twice yet.

I am safe because I can not buy from Amazon because of living in some EU country and no available shipping for me. :D

enjoy,
Mtz

Do you have to put the firmware on both SD cards or just on one for mini 0806?

will only be on one

if you've looked at the X2 thread and noticed the reference to having firmware on each card that's because these two processors in that camera and it's one card per processor and each needs the firmware update applied

Do you have to put the firmware on both SD cards or just on one for mini 0806?

As Jokiin indicates, it will go on one of the cards but it's unclear if only one of the cards can host the firmware or if either one will work. Maybe someone who got luck and has an 0806 can confirm. Since this is currently undocumented, let's volunteer this as something that needs to be more clearly described in the manual... which currently states:

Please download the latest firmware from:
www.mini0806.com
to upgrade the camera for improved stability and extra functions.
Extract the FIRMWARE.BIN file to the root folder of your microSD card; insert
the card into your mini0806 camera and power on. The camera will auto
examine the FIRMWARE.BIN file and popup a confirmation dialogue, press the
UP or DOWN button to choose YES and press OK to upgrade.
The camera will shut down automatically after upgrading is completed.
Enjoy.

Manual can be improved by:
1. Specify which cardslot (either?) the firmware will be read from
2. Specify that the firmware only needs to be on one of the microSD cards but not both
3. Maybe show a screenshot or two

outlawstar

if there's only one card present it should default to that, all the earlier versions worked the same, it can change though depending on firmware versions, in the case of an update the worst that would happen is nothing, firmware doesn't run put the card in the other slot

Mini 0806 Click Car DVR + Memory Card:
a-Memory card type from the example of Samsung memory card type: Micro SDXC PRO memory card + SDHC PRO (EVO) memory card + SDHC PRO memory card does all of this memory card types are compatible with this camera? b-in memory card Class 6 and Class 10 in these two classes of m is compatible with the camera? c) the highest capacity memory card 128GB + 128GB 32GB + 32GB memory cards lowest Does compatible with the camera? d) being installed in the memory card must be formatted with the camera? (FAT32) If you need shaping how we can format the memory card larger than 32GB? e) having a card in your product (mini car dvr 0806) where I ordered (Ali express.co I) CLASS 6 SAMSUNG advice was, do you think another brand (TOSHIBA) be?

Back