Mini 0806 CPL filter in-car adjustment

niko

Retailer
Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Dash Cam
Street Guardian UK / EU / EEA Distributor
Here is to show you how much dash reflection CPL filter can reduce.
Its not an easy task to find a correct angle of a CPL filter due to tiny LCD screen, need few test n try.

Mini 0806 CPL.jpg

Attachments

• a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 12
  • a2.jpg
    a2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
  • a3.jpg
    a3.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
Where is the white mark at the best position?

Where is the white mark at the best position?

I was so busy that day with dozens of tests, that forgot to check this white mark position. Will try to do this next time when we have a nice sunny day, which is rare here :)

I would be surprised if the manufacturing / assembly process is such that the white mark is based on anything in particular. I think we're going to find that it's just a reference mark and that the best position will be different for each user. But knowing where the mark works best for you is really all you need to know. On mine, the best position seems to be with the white mark at around 3:30 or so. That seems to reduce the reflections off the interior of the windshield the best. This setting however may not be the best position for being able to see through someone's windshield (for better identification of someone coming at you), or seeing through the drivers side door window (for the same reason). Glare or reflected light off a flat surface can come from many different surfaces, and a polarized filter is only going to work best for one of them.

I would be surprised if the manufacturing / assembly process is such that the white mark is based on anything in particular. I think we're going to find that it's just a reference mark and that the best position will be different for each user. But knowing where the mark works best for you is really all you need to know. On mine, the best position seems to be with the white mark at around 3:30 or so. That seems to reduce the reflections off the interior of the windshield the best. This setting however may not be the best position for being able to see through someone's windshield (for better identification of someone coming at you), or seeing through the drivers side door window (for the same reason). Glare or reflected light off a flat surface can come from many different surfaces, and a polarized filter is only going to work best for one of them.

I totally agree. Different cards, different windshield angle, position of dashcam, angle of dashcam lens etc. Too many "personal" factors.
The only way to share some advice on "where is cpl white dot" is between two similar cars where dashcam is mounted at exact position and exactly the same angle in both cars, but even then you can not be sure, because you never know how correctly is CPL assembled in factory for each cpl lens.
So the best is to test n try in your own car, set correct mark which is just for your car with just your CPL filter ;)

I don't believe my 0806 came with a CPL filter. What does it look like and where can I buy one?

A quick Google shows what looks like a regular lens filter?

**EDIT** This is it, right?

I don't believe my 0806 came with a CPL filter. What does it look like and where can I buy one?

A quick Google shows what looks like a regular lens filter?

**EDIT** This is it, right?

The CPL doesn't come with the 0806. You have to purchase it separately. Your link looks like it's the right item, but ask the seller, just to be sure. Here's where I purchased mine:

The CPL filter comes with the 0806 now depending on where you buy it. I bought mine off Amazon.

Unsure. I haven't had any issues so far and I've had it for about a week now.

The CPL doesn't come with the 0806. You have to purchase it separately.
Untrue ! cpl and gps mount, wedges, cable clips,.... have always been part of the manufacturer package as announced here by Rayman.... The choice to sell it appart is a reseller choice !

Untrue ! cpl and gps mount, wedges, cable clips,.... have always been part of the manufacturer package as announced here by Rayman.... The choice to sell it appart is a reseller choice !

Sorry. I didn't know that. Apparently, my reseller chose to break them up.

dual card support and parking guard were a Rayman announcement too though ;)

And weekly updates (is still announced!)
We scheduled to update the mini0806 firmware on every Friday.
:D

Back