Mini 0806 Dashcam - Review and comparison against G90.

File path for Mini 0806: F:\DCIM\101MEDIA
File size for 3 minute clip is around 307mb to 348mb in size and 14.3mbps video rate, overall 14.9mbps.
2560*1080p
Properties for a 327mb clip:
Mini 0806 file properties.jpg
Mini 0806 files.jpg

Not sure what's wrong but looks like the focus is not sharp in the mini 0806 compared to G90 A7LA70.
It could be the CPL filter.
Yes, I removed the plastic lens cover so that's not the issue.
I'll remove the CPL filter tomorrow and see how that works out.
Also, CPL is not doing much with the white mark on the top.

Mini 0806 has slightly wider FOV angle than the G90 but G90 is much better in focus, sharpness and color.
However, mini 0806 has way much better audio.
Here are some screenshots at 1366*768 resolution:
Mini 0806:
Mini 0806-screenshot1.jpg
G90 A7LA70:
G90-screenshot1-for-Mini 0806.jpg

Mini 0806:
Mini 0806-screenshot2.jpg
G90 A7LA70:
G90-screenshot2-for-Mini 0806.jpg

Mini 0806:
Mini 0806-screenshot3.jpg
G90 A7LA70:
G90-screenshot3-for-Mini 0806.jpg

Mini 0806:
Mini 0806-screenshot4.jpg
G90 A7LA70:
G90-screenshot4-for-Mini 0806.jpg

Videos: Change quality to highest available and the video is slightly out of sync so adjust few seconds. Mini is few seconds fast.
Mini 0806 @ 14.9mbps:
G90 A7LA70 @ 18.6mbps:

Mini 0806 @ 14.9mbps:
G90 A7LA70 @ 18.6mbps:

Mini 0806 @ 14.9mbps:
G90 A7LA70 @ 18.6mbps:

Mini 0806 @ 14.9mbps:
G90 A7LA70 @ 18.6mbps:

Last edited:
Your 0806 appears to be less sharp then mine, at least left side seems a bit out of focus. Perhaps bad focus on the lens out of the factory. Could you also try in the pitch black?

G90 doesn't look too bad though, I wish it had better design without using suction cup.

Last edited:
Look at this screenshot from one of your videos. Clearly shows that left side is out of focus where the trees are. Did you not remove protective film perhaps?
29y5und.jpg

The white line should go exactly at the top to remove reflections from the windshield.
I just tested it and it's the exact opposite.
The white mark should be on the bottom. :s

Your 0806 appears to be less sharp then mine. Perhaps bad focus on the lens out of the factory. Could you also try in the pitch black?

G90 doesn't look too bad though, I wish it had better design without using suction cup.
Looking at the videos right now, G90 is much better in comparison against 0806's videos with CPL filter.
Will see how it works tomorrow without CPL filter.

GPS Note:
Also, there is some confusion about whether this unit includes GPS or not.
Manual mentions "GPS logger inside" but then also mentions a separate external GPS unit that can be purchased separately.
To make it more confusing, the mount may or may not have GPS inside. I mean there are two different mounts.
I've turned speed and GPS logging so if it has GPS in the mount, it'll have it in the video tomorrow.

BTW, are you guys seeing the screenshots within the body?
I have red x on the images. Thumbnails on the bottom are fine.

Last edited:
Look at this screenshot from one of your videos. Clearly shows that left side is out of focus where the trees are. Did you not remove protective film perhaps?
29y5und.jpg

From my earlier post:
File path for Mini 0806: F:\DCIM\101MEDIANot sure what's wrong but looks like the focus is not sharp in the mini 0806 compared to G90 A7LA70.
It could be the CPL filter.
Yes, I removed the plastic lens cover so that's not the issue.
I'll remove the CPL filter tomorrow and see how that works out.
Also, CPL is not doing much with the white mark on the top.
I didn't see film cover on the CPL but will double check.

There is clearly something isn't right in your comparison. My non scientific opinion is that G90 looks identical to my 0806 in terms of IQ, the only test I wonder is how they compare at night time conditions.

Yeah, but my non scientific opion is that G90 looks identical to my 0806 in terms of IQ, the only test I wonder is how it performs at night.
The screenshots are much lower resolution.
When viewing them in my monitor, G90 video is not only sharper but more natural color and better focused. Road details are better. 0806 is soft in everything.
I'll update more tomorrow.

I was trying to say that this softness (out focus) issue isolated to your specific 0806. My mini is pretty sharp otherwise. Colors I am not too worried. It's not my sample video, but it's just shows the actual sharpness that I also see:

Here is the full resolution screenshot @ 2560*1080:

Mini 0806 (Click to enlarge): has fisheye effect in the corners.
Mini has soft focus all over, worse in left side.
16245547760_189a7a66c2_o.jpg

G90 (Click to enlarge): no fisheye effect.
Road details are clear and sharp.
16245549490_d69ee57e46_o.jpg

Mini 0608 (Click to enlarge):
Mini has soft focus all over, worse in left side.
16433018245_50cb9297db_o.jpg

G90 (Click to enlarge):
Road, printed signs, cars etc... all are sharp and crisp.
15812960393_13aeaf444a_o.jpg

Last edited:
BTW, are you guys seeing the screenshots within the body?
I have red x on the images. Thumbnails on the bottom are fine.
A lot of your images aren't showing

A lot of your images aren't showing
The images are in the thumbnails anyways.
Only the inline were not showing.
Should be okay now.
I re-did the image links.

Check the first post as well

Yeah, looks like you got a lemon. Was this 2nd batch? Check to make sure your lens/windshield is clean.

I don't think is from second batch and until today nobody have.
Why to make a comparison between two cameras, one with CPL and the other without? Is just wasting time and work in vain. :-(

enjoy,
Mtz

I just tested it and it's the exact opposite.
The white mark should be on the bottom. :s
You will find that it works just as well with it at the top ;)

Your focus issue doesn't look like a focus issue to me, it looks like you have got a fingerprint on the lens. The sharpest image should be from the 21:9 mode.

For your reference, here is a screenshot from my camera. Windshield not 100% clean but OK. setting 2560x108. The edges left and right are not as clear as on the G90 screenshot,
maybe to do with the charataristics of the windshield, ie edging off, or more straight perhaps ??

Seems your vids are much lighter. Mine are made on a very sunny day, still find them a bit dark. How should White Balance be set? Currently to AUTO.
Does the setting 'Sunny' means to use in Sunny weather, or are the videos then showing more light (sun)?
Not sure how to interpretate that. Any tips ? Or should I use Exposure Compensation for that, and if so, what setting is recommend to get a 'lighter'video ?

upload_2015-2-3_12-2-40.png

For your reference, here is a screenshot from my camera. Windshield not 100% clean but OK. setting 2560x108. The edges left and right are not as clear as on the G90 screenshot,
maybe to do with the charataristics of the windshield, ie edging off, or more straight perhaps ??

Seems your vids are much lighter. Mine are made on a very sunny day, still find them a bit dark. How should White Balance be set? Currently to AUTO.
Does the setting 'Sunny' means to use in Sunny weather, or are the videos then showing more light (sun)?
Not sure how to interpretate that. Any tips ? Or should I use Exposure Compensation for that, and if so, what setting is recommend to get a 'lighter'video ?
The edges are probably not as clear due to motion blur, the edges appear to move fastest. Compare images while stationary to find out if this is the case.

To increase the brightness, use the Exposure Compensation, try setting it to + 0.7, although I think you will capture most detail if you leave it at zero, you risk burning out license plates if you turn it up. The White Balance is about the colour - set it to cloudy and you will get more colourful images when the sun comes out than you do with auto, but you will also get more yellow under yellow street lights at night.

View attachment 10898
sorry, which camera is this from again?

Back