Mini 0806 Dashcam - Review and comparison against G90.

Nigel,

Pretty adept at a bit of DIY, but what worries me is the fact that it's focussed to one side - indicating a possible angular alignment issue that would be impossible to adjust. I need 4 cameras, and potentially pulling 4 apart and failing and then having the issue of returning them where the supplier sees that I have taken them to bits - not worth bothering with.

I'm holding off until the next batch come through....
I think if you asked your supplier if he minded you disassembling it and having a go at refocusing it rather than send it back then you would get permission. The advantage is that you can get it perfect instead of just good enough for sale.

Due to the wide angle lens there is quite a large depth of field so slightly different focus left to right probably wont be an issue, I guess they all have that issue but it's not normally visible since both sides will be within the depth of field.

I've not got much idea what percentage have problems, hundreds have been sold but we have only seen a few with problems and I guess at the moment we would hear about a lot of the ones with issues?...

500 have shipped, about 10 complaints maybe, 2%, no doubt some haven't made it to the hands of the customers yet so there may be a few more with issues, more than they'd like but not catastrophic by any means

It seemed more than that but could just be all the noise. There's a guy having problems on Pistonheads and that has cost a few sales.

It's the Techmoan ones which are the problem - he's had two duds out of two so as far as he's concerned a 100% failure rate. I even offered to send him mine to have a play with but as its a prototype with a different base, case and power port it's not ideal.

It's perhaps more than that, it's not all but it's certainly more than they'd like it to be, will be interesting to see if they sort it out correctly before the current 3000 piece production, if they haven't it's going to cost them I think

I've not got much idea what percentage have problems, hundreds have been sold but we have only seen a few with problems and I guess at the moment we would hear about a lot of the ones with issues?...
It's all the buyers who are not on forums that we don't know about

Last edited:
It's the Techmoan ones which are the problem - he's had two duds out of two so as far as he's concerned a 100% failure rate. I even offered to send him mine to have a play with but as its a prototype with a different base, case and power port it's not ideal.
It's just one guy and the first one was a prototype so what doesn't count. Failure happens and being early adopter comes with risks. I wouldn't be too concerned.

Don't underestimate the power of Techmoan :) Just look how many people watch his videos within 24 hours.

If he says he has no confidence in a product then that's not good at all.

I like the 0806 that I have but that isn't going to sell many units in comparison to what effect Techmoan's posts have

What's worse is that the pre-production models have a reported better quality, making a disconnect from what the beta testers reported and what people are getting. I'm sure quality will improve, it's just that first impressions are important

Don't underestimate the power of Techmoan :) Just look how many people watch his videos within 24 hours.

I like the 0806 that I have but that isn't going to sell many units in comparison to what effect Techmoan's posts have

Never heard of this guy until it was mentioned here. I wouldn't base my purchase opinion just on one guy anyway regardless if he is known or not.

It's all the buyer who are not on forums that we don't know about
Yes, but at the moment a lot, or maybe most of the people who have received them will be people who visit forums and were the fist to pre-order and if they have problems they are likely to post. We have seen several new 0806 owners that have just signed up to post. It's impossible to know how true that is though!

What's worse is that the pre-production models have a reported better quality, making a disconnect from what the beta testers reported and what people are getting. I'm sure quality will improve, it's just that first impressions are important
The were problems with the prototypes that have been sorted. Some new issues have appeared which will be sorted. The real problem is that they went on sale while there where still production issues, but then they are not Apple iPhones where the company can afford to produce a batch of 100,000 and throw them all away if they are not absolutely perfect! Maybe quality control wasn't quite as strict as it should have been.

The were problems with the prototypes that have been sorted. Some new issues have appeared which will be sorted. The real problem is that they went on sale while there where still production issues, but then they are not Apple iPhones where the company can afford to produce a batch of 100,000 and throw them all away if they are not absolutely perfect! Maybe quality control wasn't quite as strict as it should have been.

You raise a good point with Apple, even a billion dollar company can't produce a product without issues, I'm sure Apple would tell you the failure rate is quite low, not sure it's as low as they'd say though, I've had each model iPhone up until the 5 and every one of them has been replaced at least once, just unlucky or things aren't as perfect as they like to imply, their fat profits are what make it sustainable to keep swapping handsets out

If Apple can't make a product with zero issues with all the resources they have there's little chance anyone else can either

I agree. Techmoan has one of the best and most complete review site on gadgets on the net, if he ditches a product on his review, its sale is going to suffer. Two out of two failed 0806 is a very bad start.

If Apple can't make a product with zero issues with all the resources they have there's little chance anyone else can either
[joke]SAMSUNG![/joke] :p

I think will be many reports with image not clear. When I beta-tested the product I remember also I put the fingers over the lens, but I realised when touching the lens not when watching the video. Everybody will touch the lens when pushing the camera buttons. Was a good idea to include a cleaning napkin with the 806. I always had one when testing the camera.

enjoy,
Mtz

I turned the GPS logging and stamping but the videos just have 000mph on it.
There is a new folder called gps with bunch of text files.
Text files' numbers mostly match with video number but I see there are few that don't match.
How do I use those text gps log files to get GPS map with 'Registrator Viewer'?
16439609385_afe4d40f19_o.jpg

After making sure the lens is clean, videos are still blurry on the left half.

I couldn't slide the camera off the mount.
I was afraid that I'd have broken it if I tried any harder.

Does the charger need to be plugged in the mount for GPS to work or will it work with the charger on the camera direclty?
Answer: I got GPS signal with charger plugged in the camera so it works either way.

Last edited:
I am so sorry that something seems went wrong with this MINI 0806. We got it from MEG and sent to some professional guys to review once we received it. Sorry that we didn't test it first before ship it out. Hope @Rayman.Chan and @Julie.Sanahi could help us out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys, sorry Ii was disappeared for days from DCT.
for the out of focus issue, yes we found that problem when the first batch arrived users.
we tested all the cameras waiting for shipping, there are 7% units out of focus.
we audited this problem with workers, they reported this maybe because the focusing girls are tired with the big 49" 4K TV for focusing.
we added a re-inspection process before pack the cameras now, so any cameras out of focus will be rejected before shipping.

by the way, the GPS issue have been sorted by modify housing.

20150204120355.jpg

Last edited:
Back