Mini 0806 stopped working

nomen nescio

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
Dash Cam
mini 0806
This is a complain thread pure out of frustration instead of a positive thread that helps others.

I have a Mini0806 for about one year. I contacted Mini0806 many times since last year, I believe it was september and all I got were emails how to fix the mini0806, which didn't work ofcourse. Finally, a few days ago, the mini0806 stopped working entirely and it is only one year old. The European (100% sure the Belgian) law says that the warranty is valid for a periode of two years.

I contacted mini0806 again by email a few days ago to say that my dashcam stopped working entirely and as I expected, no word at all. Telling me how to fix the worthless piece of crap is easy and cheap but when I ask for a replacement, they don't want to answer anymore.

Never will I buy a mini again nor will I advice people to buy a mini. I will tell as many people as I can to stay clear of the mini0806 company.

The mini0806 distributor/resellers stopped so he can't help me anymore.

Rant over, had to get if of my chest.

:)

Last edited:
did you contact the seller of the mini 0806 or the manufacturer? in the UK its the seller who has a contract with you and the item is covered for 1 or 2 years from the seller who then has to deal with the manufacturer, but if the seller has stopped trading then you might be out of luck, is it something your local electronics store can have a look and maybe repair?

I know just how you feel, I had similar issues with a Blackvue and feel the same about them as you do about the mini 0806

I contacted both. Mini 0806 manufacturer and the reseller in Belgium. Whatever the reason, when sold in Belgium, the law says that there is a two year warranty when sold in ..... Belgium. I bought my mini0806 in Belgium, I have the invoice to prove it and mini0806 has to replace it. If I ordered the mini0806 in China, the warranty would be according the Chinese law, not the Belgian law but I bought it in Belgium not in China.
I'm not going to pay more money to get it fixed when I should get a replacement instead.
I don't think it is even possible without an electronics diagram or something like that.

There is a official agency or something like that where I can file a complaint agains companies, for free. If mini0806 doesn't do anything about it, I can still consider filing a complaint against mini0806.

Thanks for letting me know that I'm not the only one with these frustrations.

Last edited:
if the seller is still trading, then I would take this to (in the UK, it's the trading standards) the powers that deal with this in Belgium, it's obvious that the 0806 is meant to last longer than the time you've owned it, and as you say, it's still under warranty, so you shouldn't have to pay out any more, I'm sure the people that make the 0806 are on here so maybe a good idea to send them a personal message and see if they can be of help to you

A few days ago, I already contacted mini0806 personally. I've considered the time difference between China and Belgium but no news so far. The previous contacts (because of continious problems with this dashcam in the past >> last year and this year), they always answered immediately. Now that I mentioned warranty and the fact that the dashcam stopped working, they don't answer.

I really regret that the Belgian resellers stopped being a reseller because his service was the best. I already got replacements mini 0806 last year but I always got a faulty dashcam instead apparently. Show how bad these dashcams are contructed. There wouldn't be any problem if the Belgian reseller was still in business.

Driving without dashcam feels so naked. :D

I think I'm going to get myself a mobius instead. No more mini for me anymore.

Good luck, nomen, i hope you get some results. These shoddy manufacturers should be named and shamed. This is what i just posted in this thread (and you will also see that, like you, i feel 'naked' without a dashcam, there are just so many idiots on the road!) https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/mini-0806-bricked-is-the-0805-any-better.18691/

In my opinion, factories that are producing these very shoddy products should be closed down. At the very least they should not be allowed to trade with, or import into, EEC and other countries. Apart from the fact that they are profiteering from gullible consumers by selling goods that aren't fit for purpose, shoddy electrical equipment is a serious risk to life. Perhaps you should provide this feedback to the factories involved, because from my perspective i would encourage consumers to complain to Trading Standards and have these products outlawed in the EEC. Products like this are giving China a bad name, and as a result i for one only buy Chinese products when i have no alternative (i.e. when i can't afford to buy more reliable products manufactured elsewhere).

If you look at the first page of the Mini 0806 forum, its basically a rolling train wreck of issues.

Last edited:
If you look at the first page of the Mini 0806 forum, its basically a rolling train wreck of issues.

Yeah. I guess some of these have been fixed now though. It seems as though some of the issues, including mine, are being supplied by dodgy hardwire kits from non-OEM sources, which supply unregulated voltage spikes to the unit and destroy one of the CPUs. Jokiin has suggested hardwiring using a female cigarette adapater into the fusebox and the connecting the supplied cigarette socket adpapter to this. If i go for another 0806 or an 0805 i will do this. I like the form factor of these units, feel vulnerable without a dashcam due to some of the lunatics on the road, and don't have the funds right now to buy a high quality unit. As soon as a high quality unit becomes available at a reasonable price with a discrete form factor similar to the 0806 i will be investing in one.

I thought I was going to get a lot of complaines from other members because of my very negative thread with a lot of frustrations. Instead I get positive posts and aknowledgement that that this thread is not such a problem as I thought it would be. Thank for the support so far.

The problems I had with this dashcam are:

* from the beginning that I have this dashcam and this is not the first one, the Belgian reseller, whom had an impeccable service, honest and friendly, swapped this mini 0806 two times, so this is my third, made a not so nice starting up sound. You know, when you turn on the ignition, the dashcam turns on accompanied with a "turning-on-music (tuh -tuh- tun)". Don't know how to say it properly. From the beginning this music sounded the same as a cracked loudspeaker.

* During recording, the sounds stopped recording, or there was a loud wooosh sound during the recording.

* The GPS didn't work 95% of the recording times

* When I connected the dashcam via the original USB cable to the computer, the connection failed every time after a minute or so. Disconnecting the dashcam from the computer should shut down the mini 0806. Not my mini 0806. It stayed on >> blue screen with the words USB connecting ... . After disconnecting, I had to wait until the battery was depleted before I could use the mini 0806 again.

* Sometimes the mini 0806 kept on starting up when I turned on the ignition key. I'd hear that tuh-tuh-tun music over and over again. Solution was to disconnected the dashcam from the GPS holder, remove the SD card and put the SD card back into the mini 0806. I always use SD card class 10. I regulary formatted the SD-card, switched back to factory settings (was told by mini 0806 to do so), hold the ON/OFF button for more than 20 secondes ( was told by mini 0806 to do so), to no avail.

* Sometimes the mini 0806 stopped recording during driving.

* A couple of days ago, I had to push the ON/OFF button to start the recording. The mini 0806 didn't start on its own anymore.

* The only thing it does now when I turn on the ignition is nothing, nothing at all. Not even pushing the ON/OFF button at the side. The internal battery won't even charge anymore.

EDIT: I just connected the mini 0806 to the computer using the USB cable. Guess what, the mini 0806 came alive again. The LCD screen is working, the LED's are working but no blue screen that says USB connecting... . Could it be that the GPS holder is malfunctioning?

Last edited:
Which is a good alternative for the mini 0806?

The only thing I like is that it is very easy to remove the mini 0806 from the GPs holder. No wires have to be disconnected.

* Full HD

* Easy removable

* It doesn't have to have an LCD screen

* Small, discrete

* GPS

* Very reliable.

anything is possible with these

You are so right! Each unit seems to have its own unique issues. The one i was sent out as a replacement for the failed original gave me a green screen after about 20 minutes use. I haven't seen this mentioned by anyone else. This wasn't just the monitor at fault, it was on the recordings - the image slightly visible but mainly 'greened out' as if totally overexposed. Resetting the camera resolved it. It only ever happened once again after that, and i have no idea what caused it, but after the second occurrence i set the lcd screen permanently on in order to be sure that my recordings weren't going to be useless.

one of its most liked features yet also one of its biggest failings, convenient sure, but not a reliable setup

Agreed. Mine has developed the same fault. I was going to take the mount apart to see if it could be fixed, but there's no point unless i can get my camera working again.

Which is a good alternative for the mini 0806?

The only thing I like is that it is very easy to remove the mini 0806 from the GPs holder. No wires have to be disconnected.

* Full HD

* Easy removable

* It doesn't have to have an LCD screen

* Small, discrete

* GPS

* Very reliable.

I too would be interested in something with a similar discrete form factor, full HD, gps capability, and a similar price. It seems that we may have to wait a few years yet before there is a good choice of affordable and reliable dashcams on the market. In the meantime i feel that i need some sort of affordable compromise dashcam as protection against other drivers.

@nomen nescio you’ve mentioned that now the 0806 does nothing when connected to the GPS mount on the windscreen but works when connected to your computer

not sure if this is the same issue I had with my 0806, but after only a few weeks I found that the power connection on the GPS mount was not a good one and the 0806 would be very temperamental, it would cut power to the 0806 for no reason, found out it was a faulty micro USB connection on the GPS mount and had it replaced

@nomen nescio you’ve mentioned that now the 0806 does nothing when connected to the GPS mount on the windscreen but works when connected to your computer

not sure if this is the same issue I had with my 0806, but after only a few weeks I found that the power connection on the GPS mount was not a good one and the 0806 would be very temperamental, it would cut power to the 0806 for no reason, found out it was a faulty micro USB connection on the GPS mount and had it replaced
How did you find out it was the USB connection? And how did you replace it?

You can connect the USB directly to the unit.

@nomen nescio
cutting a long story short, first off my DVR’s don’t come on with ignition ON, they are wired to come on only with lights ON, side light/dipped light/main beam light, light on, DVR’s on, they both get the power from the same relay so if one gets power so should the other, unless there is a problem with the power cable to the DVR

after the first days driving through France, at the hotel that night, I took out both cards and look at on my computer. once skimmed through I formatted the cards (FAT32) using SDFormatter

in the morning I inserted the cards back in the DVR’s, a Samsung 128 gig for the 0806 and a Kingmax Pro 64GB for the 0805

started the car, heard the chimes of the DVR’s and once I set the Sat Nav I was on my way, to cover the second half of my trip through France,

After a few hours I pulled up at a road side coffee for some refreshments, I switched ignition off and just by chance looked up at the 0806 (forward facing DVR), I noticed non of the LED’s were on, the yellow/green GPS , the red, recording or the Blue power, I looked to my rear facing 0805 and that still had the red/blue blinking LED so the back one was OK and as both DVR’s were getting power from the same point, it wasn’t anything to do with where the power was coming from

so I touched the front cable and noticed with slight movement of the cable it would power on or off the DVR, not having the manual with me I did think that if I used the micro USB on the body of the 0806 I wouldn’t get GPS but as luck would have it the mount for the 0806 has two micro USB connections so I used the other, was still temperamental, didn’t record any of the driving through the whole of Switzerland (around 6 hours) when I arrived at my final destination with some tape and other things I managed to wedge in the micro USB power plug and don’t think I lost much footage (but still was temperamental)

will I be buying another mini 0806? nope, will I be buying any of the 08XX range, I very much doubt it, the whole point of having these DVR’s is you plug them in and forget all about them till you need to view the footage, if you have a fear they may or mayn’t be recording then no point paying good money for one, and finding out just when you needed its footage you have f***all

deep down I know now and knew then which one to go for but as I wanted two, I couldn’t justify the cost just for one car

this is how I have my mini0806 bodged up in my car as it otherwise shakes

and this is from day one, not after months of use. very badly designed mount and temperamental connection

As I said, I bought mine from JooVuu, and very pleased with his service, I see someone mentioned JooVuu no longer supplies these mini 0806 DVR’s, there’s your answer if you should be buying another of these 0806

One and a half year later, the mini 0806 is still working. The sound is poor and sometimes it's like a busted loudspeaker. I found out that is was the USB connection. Used the other USB port on the GPS thing and almost everything is fine.

So, the mini dashcams (0806) are not as bad as some people think. I have two and both are still working, almost, perfectly.

So, if the manufacturer of the mini 0806 reads this post, all is well and the mini 0806's are still going strong, even after more than 2 years of almost daily use.

I came back to dashcamtalk forum to correct my previous negative rant about my malcontent about the mini 0806.

Back