Mini0801 custom firmwares

We were able to address the issue: A faulty "fake" SD-Card :D
Now everything is working.

Tobi@s, I would like to customize my 0801 with a custom logo and MPH instead of KPH. I'd be happy to make a PayPal "donation." My email is ed@dash-flash.com. Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi,
MPH is possible by switching to another firmware - which custom logo do you want?

If you want to donate you can do this via PaPal by following this page: http://dc.p-mc.eu/donate
You don't have to donate if you don't really want to!

I am having issues.

When my SD Card is full camera won't auto boot and start recording. Only red light turns on. Have to manually turn on and start recording.

After a format it automaticly turns on and starts recording.

I am using a Lexar 8GB Class 6 SD Card. 1 minute loop.

Latest firmware with KPH and MPH, default German changed to English.

Any suggestions?

Will let you know when it fills up if there are any issues (takes me a few days).

I'm happy to report no overwrite issues when full; It's working without issue. I will note that recording at the higher bit-rate means my 32G card stores only about 3 hours of video (176 minutes on last tally). Previous fw recorded closer to the 240 minute range.

I am having issues.

When my SD Card is full camera won't auto boot and start recording. Only red light turns on. Have to manually turn on and start recording.

After a format it automaticly turns on and starts recording.

I am using a Lexar 8GB Class 6 SD Card. 1 minute loop.

Latest firmware with KPH and MPH, default German changed to English.

Any suggestions?
Try a different (earlier) firmware. Some users reported those problems with this version.

I'm happy to report no overwrite issues when full; It's working without issue. I will note that recording at the higher bit-rate means my 32G card stores only about 3 hours of video (176 minutes on last tally). Previous fw recorded closer to the 240 minute range.
Thats the downside of having a higher bitrate :)

Yes, I expected the smaller recording time, no complaints.

MrSir, the firmware of this is an adjusted 20140308 (to have a higher bitrate stream & a Ford logo). Before the update, it was at 20140116 from the factory which also worked well. I use a pair of Samsung 32G Class 6 cards for recording.

UPDATE: Still having same no boot issue on full SD card. Running Custom 20140308

Will try an earlier firmware: 20130924 and report back.

------
DEVELOPMENT: I installed a custom 20130924 with no problems, the issue still exists. So I reinstalled custom 20140308.

BUT! It seems to only be happening at night time (when the car is cold, around 9 degrees celcius) does anyone know if this is a real issue?

The camera will not automatically turn on with the car when it is cold, I have to pull it out of mount, start normally, then when I put it back on the mount it starts recording normally and turns off automatically when I turn off the car. If I try again straight away the camera will turn back on, I think maybe because the camera and car have warmed up?

@Tobi@s @knoxco

Last edited:
Hi Tobi@s, can you prepare a custom firmware with VW logo and startup / shutdown sound removed for my Mini 0801 Givoe with GPS, no internal memory ?
I'm using it on English language and Kph. The working firmware is 20131202.

WV logo I found is here, but you can use another logo if this is not suitable.
http://logodatabases.com/volkswagen-logo.html/volkswagen-logo-das-auto

Thank you very much.

What's the best way to edit .pcm boot sound files?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

@MadJawa once said that he was able to edit them with an application called Audacity

I have imported .pcm files to Audacity but they are speeded up and sound distorded.
Maybe you could write me the export parameters, so file could be read by the dashcam?

Hi, I dont know them but if I remember correctly @Nigel can say sth about it

I don't think a silent FCWS alarm would be much use!

I have worked out how to play/modify the pcm files, I think maybe those are the only ones used.

Install Audacity - http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
Go to File > Import > Raw Data…
Choose the PCM file you want to open.
Select Encoding: Signed 16 bit PCM
Select Byte Order: No endianess
Select 1 channel (mono)
Select Start Offset: 0
Select Sample Rate: 12000 Hz (for the *_12k.pcm files)
Select amount to import: 100%

You can now play it or save it as a .wav file.

Haven't tried exporting a modified one yet but it looks straight forward.

If you want to try exporting I highly recommend to start with modifying shutdown sounds only.
Why?
If the camera does not like your modified file it might crash. Imagine what happens with a corrupted startup sound.

Back