mini0806 CPL test -MEGtech

Rayman.Chan

Manufacturer
Reaction score
Country
China
Dash Cam
mini0806, mini0806S, mini0903/0905, mini0906, mini0808
we made a in room test video with mini 0806 camera, to contrast the vision with CPL and without CPL.
the water surface is too close to 0806 so it is out of focus.
please find out the difference.

That should definitely be a feature of the "0803 Pro" :)

For use in a car, you always want it adjusted so that the polarization is exactly vertical. You do not need to make it so that it can be rotated, except maybe at exactly 90 degrees so that the camera can be used on its side - portrait mode. If it only fits at exactly vertical then it will be easier to install and people using it will not need to understand how to adjust it before it will work properly, they need to be fairly accurate to get the best effect.

You also do not need a circular polarizer, a simple linear polarizer will work just as well. A circular polarizer is a linear polarizer with an extra layer to twist the light, only needed for some auto focus systems on SLR cameras.

Don't linear polarizers affect metering though mate also? Guessing this is an A7 device it would be doing that (at least in the 50 and above?)

I'll have to pick up a linear at some point to have a play!

Guessing these are cheap CPLs though so they'd need removing at night?

Raymond are you thinking a screw on mount on the camera like Vicovation do with their quick release mount or a magnetic mount as in the Panorama S / G?

It's good to see you're considering this anyway - some cars aren't affected but mine needs a CPL / PL, a dashmat and ten pairs of boxer shorts to be able to see through the front window!

Don't linear polarizers affect metering though mate also?
A linear polarizer will affect the metering and focus of some SLR cameras, that is why circular polarizers are sold.

For a camera which does it's metering and focus using the main image sensor, a linear polarizer should be fine and should cut out slightly less light as it has one less layer. For a manufacturer it should also be slightly cheaper. I doubt you would be able to tell the difference in a side by side test of a dashcam though!

It would be nice if the camera could remove it at night but I guess that would put the cost up too much, although some standard lenses do have the mechanism for removing an IR filter that could maybe be used for a polarizer if there is already an IR filter on the sensor...

Back