Mini0806 freezing up!

dougk9

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ladies & Gentlemen,

I've been reading this forum with some amusement, having concluded that I possessed the only functioning Mini0806 in the world! Until now. I got mine in September 2015, mounted it, and began running it off my cigar lighter. After alot of aggravation, I finally figured out where/how to access the files on my computer. With the exception of having to manually turn the camera and recorder on and off at the beginning and end of every trip, everything worked just fine for about 2 weeks. That's when I paid a mechanic to hardwire it to the fuse box, using the kit suggested on the Mini web sites thru Amazon. That was yesterday. Last night all was well. It was even coming on and off with a turn of the ignition! This morning, suddenly, it started freezing up for no reason! Blank screen, solid red & blue lights (I run it upside down), no response on any of the buttons. Only a 20 sec. button press will reboot it. I've tried switching back to the cigar lighter, and have tried both the mount power jack and the camera jack. No matter what I do, once it starts recording, after a bit it just freezes up! The only unusual thing I've noticed is the camera battery won't keep a charge. Its almost like it draws power from the source to charge the battery, but won't run off that same source. Its like it runs off the battery until gone (usually like 1-2 minutes). The camera also stays unusually warm after I remove it and bring it inside. Cold outside at 35F. Was using two Sony 64gb class 10 SD's, then switched to just one, reformatted them, A slot, then B slot, etc., NOTHING! Please, please....help! I love this cam, the quality of the video, audio, EVERYTHING! Except this.

Online thru Amazon from SplashETech.

Been testing a lot of these and for starters I use the angle spacers and sticky pads to build some insulation space between the base and the glass ..

I also feed power directly into the camera in case of high resistance on the pin contacts.

I do not use the power supply with it as the company has now upgraded it and no doubt for reason.

I have not had any problems using several 0806 s

Ladies & Gentlemen,

I've been reading this forum with some amusement, having concluded that I possessed the only functioning Mini0806 in the world! Until now. I got mine in September 2015, mounted it, and began running it off my cigar lighter. After alot of aggravation, I finally figured out where/how to access the files on my computer. With the exception of having to manually turn the camera and recorder on and off at the beginning and end of every trip, everything worked just fine for about 2 weeks. That's when I paid a mechanic to hardwire it to the fuse box, using the kit suggested on the Mini web sites thru Amazon. That was yesterday. Last night all was well. It was even coming on and off with a turn of the ignition! This morning, suddenly, it started freezing up for no reason! Blank screen, solid red & blue lights (I run it upside down), no response on any of the buttons. Only a 20 sec. button press will reboot it. I've tried switching back to the cigar lighter, and have tried both the mount power jack and the camera jack. No matter what I do, once it starts recording, after a bit it just freezes up! The only unusual thing I've noticed is the camera battery won't keep a charge. Its almost like it draws power from the source to charge the battery, but won't run off that same source. Its like it runs off the battery until gone (usually like 1-2 minutes). The camera also stays unusually warm after I remove it and bring it inside. Cold outside at 35F. Was using two Sony 64gb class 10 SD's, then switched to just one, reformatted them, A slot, then B slot, etc., NOTHING! Please, please....help! I love this cam, the quality of the video, audio, EVERYTHING! Except this.

One of my 0806 Dash Cams started this exact symptom. I thought it might be a battery problem, so I pulled it apart and checked voltage, Started it up, and did the same. I then let the battery charge up to 4.15 volts without the unit on, and turned the unit on after taking the power supply off, and it went into freeze immediately again. As I was starting to spread the circuit boards, I noticed a lot of heat generating around a section of the circuit board, and it wasn't doing it with the other 0806. I have the following pictures to show where the heat is being generated. The circuit board is the one with the battery and heat sink attached.Inside board.jpg
This picture shows the hole that the lens goes through on the bottom and the pin connector for the other board on the right. The battery is attached to this side of the board on the Micro SD Housing.
Outside board.jpg
This picture shows the opposite side of the board which also gets hot. The centre connector looks darker than the others. Any ideas as to why would be appreciated.

Back