Missing footage

Accident would probably trigger event and be saved in different locatio. Are you sure camera wasn't recording?

I'm not sure if A119 has the shutdown delay setting or not without checking...
Only startup. 5 seconds, 10 seconds and off. FW A119V3 ver 2.0 Build 20200711

Ok guys I got nowhere trying to resolve this and now an accident happened, and guess what it wasnt recording! Looking at recordings, the main time it doesnt record is at the start of SOME journeys. It just never starts, but occasionally starts mid journey. (not associated with a bump in the road etc). Some 45 min trips fail to record at all, then an hour later 3 trips record fine.
I have changed the memory card, checked all wires (hard wired in). I cant find another fuse to use that isnt a safety critical one. It cant be the start/stop that I originally thought an issue because that isnt used on start up .(you put the fob into its slot and push in to start the car.) Yes it is still triggered when stop/start switches off at traffic lights, but then often doesnt restart the camera when the ignition restarts. I have tried various delays in recording start time, with no difference.
I think you need to look at two separate issues.

On startup of the car set the dashcam with a delay of 5 seconds. This will help prevent power fluctuations that might interrupt it booting cleanly.

Note that the HK2 does not support the A119V3 Viofo HK2
However - With the 2 wire option, it is possible that the red wire is not connected to permanent battery power. Ideally, you would have a wire running directly from the battery. Not really practical so a power source in the cabin that never shuts off or dips in voltage is required. The dip in power is possible when the starter motor kicks in. That voltage drop may be enough for the dashcam to attempt to reboot and could also explain why it doesn't always restart. Unfortunately for you using the 5-second boot delay will mean that every time the engine stops/starts the dashcam is going to wait 5 seconds before it starts which will introduce blank spots in the recordings.

I think you would be better off with the 3 wire kit. Viofo HK3 Hardware kit.
Using the HK3 you will have a backup to the power supply. The yellow wire will help prevent the dashcam from rebooting during the stop/start at the traffic lights etc.
You still need to make sure the wires are connected to a constant power source for the Red wire and the yellow connected to an Auxiliary source (Possibly the radio fuse). While it goes without saying normally, also make sure the black wire is connected to the metal body of the car with no paint that could cause an insulation effect.
Also, set the voltage level on the HK3 kit to the maximum of 12.4 Volts. This will remove the chance of you getting a flat battery.

Hope that resolves your dashcam problem.

Cheers

I agree with the posts above that this is 99% a wiring issue.

It's not always easy but you need to find an ignition controlled power source that is not affected by the cranking of the starter motor. Any ignition source that is will put the dashcam into shutdown mode and if it's still performing the shutdown when power is restored it will continue to shutdown.

The next stop/start will then likely power it up until the next one giving the impression it's only partially working.

The only real DIY answer is a multimeter and go along the fuse metal dots one at a time. Unless your fusebox, like mine, has a separate dedicated accessory pin that is unaffected by stop/start. All Hondas have them for example.

I agree with the posts above that this is 99% a wiring issue.

It's not always easy but you need to find an ignition controlled power source that is not affected by the cranking of the starter motor. Any ignition source that is will put the dashcam into shutdown mode and if it's still performing the shutdown when power is restored it will continue to shutdown.

The next stop/start will then likely power it up until the next one giving the impression it's only partially working.

The only real DIY answer is a multimeter and go along the fuse metal dots one at a time. Unless your fusebox, like mine, has a separate dedicated accessory pin that is unaffected by stop/start. All Hondas have them for example.
You write that there is a cabling problem. What do you say in my case. Everything was recorded, except for one that I wanted to manually secure while driving. I have an empty RO folder.

I tend to not have any g-sensor settings activated.

I just let mine record sequentially and if I need to find anything I know where it is. Not moved or hidden away in another folder.

I tend to not have any g-sensor settings activated.

I just let mine record sequentially and if I need to find anything I know where it is. Not moved or hidden away in another folder.

I do pretty much the same thing. It would be rare that I would overwrite a memory card on any given day's activity. If there is an incident I want to save it is found right where I expect it to be when I get home and is part of the timeline. I usually keep my G-sensor on its lowest setting however.

It won't help here, but my approach too is to not disturb any properly functioning machine :cautious: If necessary I'll let it run well past the 'saved file time' so it can save things normally before powering down, but as I use larger cards I can usually just let it go till I get home. While it shouldn't be needed I also prefer redundancy in the form of at least a second forward-facing cam, even a old low-res one. Better to have something than nothing ;)

With my rough-riding old work van G-sensor gets set to the lowest sensitivity setting or preferably off for driving. Otherwise I'll be hearing constant announcements of locked files, especially on the crappy roads in my State :( Again just letting the cam record normally doesn't risk upsetting anything.

Phil

I am only using a 2 wire hardwire connection
When using HK3 it is mandatory to be connected to a permanent power supply and separately to a switched power supply. Even if the parking mode is not used.
The phenomenon that happens to you I met in the situation where both red and yellow threads were tied together.

Same thing applies to a 2 wire kit. If you're wired to an IGN source that gets briefly cut with the starter motor during stop/start then you will run into the problem you're having.

I've seen it lots of times.

I have eliminated the dashcam and memory card. I swapped another A119V3 with a different memory card from my sons car. Yesterday -It totally failed to record one journey and didnt start on a second trip. However when stop/start kicked in at lights, it started recording when we set off. It carried on recording for the 3hrs trip and even correctly stop/started when the engine paused at a junction. Today it started the journey home correctly, and recored the 3hrs, even with stop/start kicking in twice. So the issue maybe isnt stop/start either, its starting up on set off. (but not every time).
Sorry - I didnt see all the posts that arrived today. Thanks everyone. I will now try and find a better fuse to tap into, and then if no joy buy a Viofo HK3 3 wired lead, but not use the parking functions.

Last edited:
You are saying that you are using some 2 wires hardwire kit. It is the original Viofo HK2 or some other chinese no-name poor quality hardwire kit?
Another advice is to connect the power directly to the dashcam and not to the GPS mount.

When using HK3 it is mandatory to be connected to a permanent power supply and separately to a switched power supply. Even if the parking mode is not used.
The phenomenon that happens to you I met in the situation where both red and yellow threads were tied together.
Check also the GND.

enjoy,
Mtz

Given that you are in the UK I can confirm that the Nextbase 2 wire HWK works perfectly OK with the A119 V3. I'm still running my series 1 Nextbase 1.5A HWK without issue but the newer ones are now 2A so even better.

Of course the 2 wire kit isn't the answer if you want parking mode, which I don't, but works well otherwise.

Back